Transformer or Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1.

Zombienaut

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting a tablet for some time now, since the first Galaxy tablet came out. But have been waiting because If I were to get a tablet, I want it to have Honeycomb; if I wanted Froyo or Gingerbread then I would just get a new phone. Anyways, I've had my eyes on the Transformer for some time now, with it's mini HDMI port and a microSD card slot. And of course what caught my eye the most was the keyboard dock and it's price tag. But, since the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 has been released I've been reconsidering whether I should get it or the Transformer. Sure, almost all of the specifications are the same, with a few differences. Now, with the Transformer costing $399 for the 16gb plus the keyborad which runs for about $150; I'll be spending pretty much the same price as I would be for the Galaxy Tablet.

So I'm stumped and thought it would be best to get some opinions.

androidASUS

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you really want:

TF ---> More storage through microSD.
Galaxy ----> Thin device.

Between the two, I choose TF due to having a dock and extra storage when needed. 16Gb is not enough for me.

joeybcdt

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
For me, the Transformer's microsd is useless. Most apps can't read or write to it. So I'd have to buy a 32G Transformer for $500.00. 32G Galaxy is $100 more.

I was sold on the Transformer until I started trying to use the microsd. I returned the Transformer for my 2nd go-round with the Galaxy. Samsung seems to have kies working now...at least for the sdcard "folder".

I tried Software Data Cable yesterday and it seems to work very well for file xfers.

So far this time around I'm sold on the Galaxy but I don't need/want a dock, extra battery, etc.

motoprof

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been wanting a tablet for some time now, since the first Galaxy tablet came out. But have been waiting because If I were to get a tablet, I want it to have Honeycomb; if I wanted Froyo or Gingerbread then I would just get a new phone. Anyways, I've had my eyes on the Transformer for some time now, with it's mini HDMI port and a microSD card slot. And of course what caught my eye the most was the keyboard dock and it's price tag. But, since the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 has been released I've been reconsidering whether I should get it or the Transformer. Sure, almost all of the specifications are the same, with a few differences. Now, with the Transformer costing $399 for the 16gb plus the keyborad which runs for about $150; I'll be spending pretty much the same price as I would be for the Galaxy Tablet.

Yes i is true that the TF would be nearly the same price as the Samsung , but you still would not have the cool keyboard on that Samsung, no external sd card to store all those movies on, or the extra battery reserve. Are these things worth the extra $50?

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

It really depends on what are your needs are for your tablet. I went for the transformer because of its flexibility, it is not stuck as only being a tablet. If I needed a notebook my transformer does the task easily. So basically the way I see it, I bought two devices for the price of one. :)

Last edited:

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I had the Transformer, then the Tab, then back to the Transformer.

I think if you will get and use the dock, its a no brainer. If you dont plan on getting the dock, the Tab.

I did experience more instability with the Tab, though. And it appeared to eat up more RAM.

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I had the Transformer, Loved it, but had to send it back because of some hardware issues with the volume and power buttons. I was all set to get another one, but decided to go with the Tab instead.

The Transformer is a great device, and defiantly has more versatility. (more ports, SD Card, and the dock) If you see yourself getting an external keyboard, the transformer would most likely be your best bet because it makes the battery life insane.

The Tformer is heavier than the tab, but you won't notice this unless you go and use someone's tab and then switch back. It's not "Heavy" just heavier. The screen on it is great, not as good as the Tab, but it's not horrible either (and they're both a lot better than the Xoom's screen IMO) So if you see yourself using HDMI, or an SD card, or the keypad, go with the xformer.

For me, I didn't really see myself using that stuff. (well I considered the keyboard, and then I discovered Thumb Keyboard). And for me the screen+thinness+the potential that Touchwiz won't suck (the previews actually interest me) were enough for me to justify the extra 100.

Someone mentioned force closes.. the only time I experienced force closes on either device was when I tried running an un-optimized tablet app, or I went to a website that wanted to throw flash ads in my face. (it didn't play well with the on demand option I think). My Samsung had an issue once with FC when trying to boot up the Samsung account (required for updates) but has been fine since.

TL:DR
Get the Transfomer If: You see yourself using the keypad, or you have a known use for the HDMI plug/SD card
Get the tab if: You want the best feeling/looking device, and you're ok with NOT having those ports.

EnVy MoNtOyA

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The tab has SD and usb support.. You just have to buy the dongle for them like how apple does it. With the tab your paying more for style and thinness. You won't go wrong with either one you buy. I'm in your shoes right now and can't decide but leaning towards the tab only cause it's really sexy and the touch wiz

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
IMHO the transformer is everything you need today and everything you'll need tomorrow. I hear people talking about sexy on the tab but it just looks drab to me, in silver at least. The white is probably closer to sexy. I say get the TF to get your money's worth, if you're trying to be thinned out next to some ipad2 guy then maybe the tab I can't see how anyone can compete against the TF screen its the same the ipad2 has minus some minor tweaks zdnet just compared the ipad2 vs TF vs Xoom and the TF was very close especially viewing angels etc. Xoom was an after thought. Can't see the tab beating the TF on screen.

Lastly the TF just seems professional its a nice solid build and when you include the dock you're the envy at the party trust me! Besides is the galaxy tab sold out yet?

Also why post such a thread in a TF forum I can only hope the opinions are biased which is okay...get you a TF brother!

Last edited:

blackbyrd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I love my transformer. I just got the dock today, which is just a little tricky hooking up. My only problem with the TF are occasional hiccups which I say is due more to Android 3.1, rather than the TF itself. Overall, I like the TF better as a tablet for its functionality, but the GTab 10.1 for its weight, eye candy, & accessories.

dragononice

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
the microSD work perfectly. I use Kingston 32 GB class 4

For me, the Transformer's microsd is useless. Most apps can't read or write to it. So I'd have to buy a 32G Transformer for $500.00. 32G Galaxy is $100 more.

I was sold on the Transformer until I started trying to use the microsd. I returned the Transformer for my 2nd go-round with the Galaxy. Samsung seems to have kies working now...at least for the sdcard "folder".

I tried Software Data Cable yesterday and it seems to work very well for file xfers.

So far this time around I'm sold on the Galaxy but I don't need/want a dock, extra battery, etc.

kalytn

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I love love love the TF. Love the keyboard/mouse option, love the versatility with it. And something no one has mentioned yet, it is easier to read books on it. Why do you ask? Because it can be setup like a netbook and you don't have to hold it to read on it! It is heavier due to the dock, but I wouldn't trade the dock for anything. You can also connect a USB keyboard and Mouse, plus an HDMI monitor and have it running just like a regular computer if you need to. Not many other systems give you all these options!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool