Non removable battery a concern? (in light of new Toshiba tablet)

erotavlas

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi I'm still in my return period for this tablet and was thinking of returning it after I recently heard about the new Toshiba THRIVE tablet that is coming soon. It has some great features including a removable battery which I think is a great idea.

I was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this since the Asus TF doesn't have a removable battery not even on the keyboard dock. I think it is a useful feature since it is true that rechargeable batteries eventually lose their ability to keep a charge. And that would render both the dock and tablet useless after some period of time.

What are other peoples thoughts on the battery issue and is the Toshiba removable battery enough to sway you to get it or switch from the Asus. ?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Non removable battery a concern? (in light of new Toshiba tab

IMO the device will be obsolete well before I lament the loss of battery performance.

Even if it lost 30% of its charge capacity, it would still run for 6 hours.

-Suntan

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

IMO the device will be obsolete well before I lament the loss of battery performance.

Even if it lost 30% of its charge capacity, it would still run for 6 hours.

-Suntan

^This.

You'll most likely be 2 years (or close to it) once you hit the point where the battery is noticeably less, as long as you practice best practices for charging. This might go even further if you use the Keyboard dock a lot.

By that time they'll have flying cars, matter converters, and holograms... well, not really, but they will have new tablets several generations better than the Thrive or the Xformer. (not to mention you might not be able to find batteries for the thrive 2 years from now)

The real advantage of a swappable battery is that you can keep a spare around if you plan on being away from an outlet for a long time. I get 2 days of "normal" usage on my tab (day and a half on my Xformer when I had it) so this isn't much of an issue for me.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Tablets, like phones, become very obsolete within a few months. If you try and keep up wih the jones youll be replacing your tablet every 1-3 months with the fever pace they are coming out now. Honestly love the one youre with or get rid of it. Well unless youre made of money.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jerobillard8

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

A removable battery adds extended life beyond what anyone else could claim if you are able swap batteries when you are some where where outlets are nonexistent "E.G. long trips abroad, shopping trips with wife, family, or girlfriend."you can have another charged battery ready to go and you are only limited to the amount of batteries you can afford. I find non removable batteries an Apple design flaw that allows android device builders to shine beyond the limited trendy bastard style above functionality that Apple has locked it's self into. Android device builders only need to build devices that have more hardware functionality and the people will buy. The only thing that held the Toshiba Thrive was that other builders were using faster processors. If the Toshiba came out with a new Thrive with a faster processor more built in memory and maybe a led flash/video camera light, and of coarse a removable battery, they would not be able to keep them on the shelf.

vicw926a4

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

I really don't see the importance of removable batteries on a tablet, such as the TF101, given its long discharge cycle, and the fact that they aren't being carried about and used for cellular connections. Add to that, the extended battery power provided by the dock - my combined battery discharge cycle is measured in days rather than part of a day. It just doesn't matter to me.

On a phone, however, I see a replaceable battery to be almost mandatory, at least for my use.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12