I have been following with great interest the developments in Android tablets. I went all-in for the Asus Transformer in early May and spent the better part of the rest of that month trying to locate a tablet, then later a keyboard dock. So, naturally, I have been concerned about buyer's remorse. Yesterday, I went to my local Best Buy to see what was happening in their brand new tablet section. I was able to compare the Asus to the Samsung Galaxy 10 in., the Toshiba Thrive, the Motorola Xoom, the Acer Iconia, even the HP Touchpad.

I am gratified to report that the Asus Transformer stands out like a shining beacon compared to other tablets that are on the market. Of course, YMMV.

Here is what pleasantly surprised me about the Asus Transformer, compared to the other tablets floating around out there:

Weight: The Asus is lighter than the Acer, the Motorola, and (surprisingly) the Toshiba Thrive and HP Touchpad. The only lighter tablet was the Samsung 10in. In the tablet world, every little ounce counts. The Asus is just a little lighter and that much easier to hold for a long period of time than the others (except Samsung).

Display: The Asus display is gorgeous! I don't think Asus gets enough credit for the effort they put into getting this oh-so-critical component right. I looked at the Asus with the Vortex Galaxy live wallpaper and compared that to the Acer, Motorola, Samsung, and Toshiba; and a picture of an identical flower to compare with the HP Touchpad (since live wallpapers aren't in the WebOS system). I turned all the tablets up to full brightness. Again, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the Asus display was. Acer, Motorola, Toshiba and HP all looked kind of washed out next to the vibrant Asus display. The only display that looked better to me was the Samsung.

Expandability: To me, having some sort of expandability is a "must have" for a tablet. If I only wanted a content consumption device, I would have gotten an Ipad2 (or maybe the Samsung). The Asus has that micro sd slot and the optional availability of usb and full sd with the keyboard dock. I would have preferred full sd on the tablet, but at least there is something on the tablet itself. Motorola, Acer, and Toshiba have more in the way of ports, but you pay for that with extra weight. Samsung and HP have no ports at all, so that is a deal breaker for me.

Price: Asus has come the closest to hitting the right price point. I believe that the 16gb Asus is cheaper than the comparable tabs from Acer, Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba and HP. Comparing the display quality, the weight and expandability, this seems to be the best value, dollar for dollar - still.

Overall Look: I know some have complained about the espresso color scheme for the Transformer, but I love it. That burnished brown color looks classy and distinctive compared to the boring black and aluminum or gray on the other tablets. The way that the keyboard dock and the tablet fit and work together (although not perfect) is truly a game changer in my book. It shows real innovation and is something - again - that Asus doesn't seem to be getting enough credit for, from what I read and hear in the tech forums, blogs/reviews/interviews, etc.

The tablet is not perfect, but in an industry that is totally fickle when it comes to what is the attention grabber - I am very happy with how truly good the Asus looks compared to other tablets out there. This is really a good value. So glad I jumped into this pool, because the water is fine.
    BigTex and ASUSFAN0001 like this.
    07-03-2011 05:42 PM
    I totally agree
    kareden likes this.
    07-03-2011 05:49 PM
    I have been following with great interest the developments in Android tablets. I went all-in for the Asus Transformer in early May and spent the better part of the rest of that month trying to locate a tablet, then later a keyboard dock. So, naturally, I have been concerned about buyer's remorse. Yesterday, I went to my local Best Buy to see what was happening in their brand new tablet section. I was able to compare the Asus to the Samsung Galaxy 10 in., the Toshiba Thrive, the Motorola Xoom, the Acer Iconia, even the HP Touchpad.

I am gratified to report that the Asus Transformer stands out like a shining beacon compared to other tablets that are on the market. Of course, YMMV.

Here is what pleasantly surprised me about the Asus Transformer, compared to the other tablets floating around out there:

Weight: The Asus is lighter than the Acer, the Motorola, and (surprisingly) the Toshiba Thrive and HP Touchpad. The only lighter tablet was the Samsung 10in. In the tablet world, every little ounce counts. The Asus is just a little lighter and that much easier to hold for a long period of time than the others (except Samsung).

Display: The Asus display is gorgeous! I don't think Asus gets enough credit for the effort they put into getting this oh-so-critical component right. I looked at the Asus with the Vortex Galaxy live wallpaper and compared that to the Acer, Motorola, Samsung, and Toshiba; and a picture of an identical flower to compare with the HP Touchpad (since live wallpapers aren't in the WebOS system). I turned all the tablets up to full brightness. Again, I was pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the Asus display was. Acer, Motorola, Toshiba and HP all looked kind of washed out next to the vibrant Asus display. The only display that looked better to me was the Samsung.

Expandability: To me, having some sort of expandability is a "must have" for a tablet. If I only wanted a content consumption device, I would have gotten an Ipad2 (or maybe the Samsung). The Asus has that micro sd slot and the optional availability of usb and full sd with the keyboard dock. I would have preferred full sd on the tablet, but at least there is something on the tablet itself. Motorola, Acer, and Toshiba have more in the way of ports, but you pay for that with extra weight. Samsung and HP have no ports at all, so that is a deal breaker for me.

Price: Asus has come the closest to hitting the right price point. I believe that the 16gb Asus is cheaper than the comparable tabs from Acer, Motorola, Samsung, Toshiba and HP. Comparing the display quality, the weight and expandability, this seems to be the best value, dollar for dollar - still.

Overall Look: I know some have complained about the espresso color scheme for the Transformer, but I love it. That burnished brown color looks classy and distinctive compared to the boring black and aluminum or gray on the other tablets. The way that the keyboard dock and the tablet fit and work together (although not perfect) is truly a game changer in my book. It shows real innovation and is something - again - that Asus doesn't seem to be getting enough credit for, from what I read and hear in the tech forums, blogs/reviews/interviews, etc.

The tablet is not perfect, but in an industry that is totally fickle when it comes to what is the attention grabber - I am very happy with how truly good the Asus looks compared to other tablets out there. This is really a good value. So glad I jumped into this pool, because the water is fine.
    Excellent Post.

It almost echos my experiences the past month - did the same 5 hours of "try all the others", along with the rest of your activities.

Agree in full with your observations.

One last addition...the Galaxy Tab (to me) seemed so thin it was actually flimsy to hold, not to mention very slick and ideal from dropping out of one's hands.

ASUS Transformer wins hands down.
    kareden likes this.
    07-03-2011 09:18 PM
    One last addition...the Galaxy Tab (to me) seemed so thin it was actually flimsy to hold, not to mention very slick and ideal from dropping out of one's hand.
    I found the Tab 10.1 to be slippery, too.
    kareden likes this.
    07-03-2011 09:44 PM
    Asus TF is the best
    darkmanx2g and kareden like this.
    07-04-2011 05:26 AM
    Agreed. The tf is not without its flaws that have given me some regret, but time and time again it has proven to be a great tool and compliment to my laptop. In this case the pros far outweigh the cons and the fact that it has a keyboard dock alone makes it the best tablet on the market for me.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    kareden likes this.
    07-04-2011 09:03 AM
    Great post.
    07-08-2011 03:30 PM
    Could not agree more, ive been been trying to find the best tablet for me and when i saw the transformer i knew i had found the perfect tablet for me! I was almost worried about the stuff people where saying,light bleeding and right speaker being noticeably louder, but i havent seen either of those problems on mine i love my transformer! I still need to get the dock though:-(
    07-09-2011 08:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD