Memo Pad HD7--- Can't get 4.2.2, and I have no "Multi User" ability in Settings, need help quickly!

redfishsc

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Memo Pad HD7--- Can't get 4.2.2, and I have no "Multi User" ability in Settings, need help quickly!

I just bought this thing, knowing it had 4.2. Apparently, not all 4.2 devices support multiple users. I bought this specifically for use with my wife, and my children (all who are far too young to have wide-open access to something they can easily mess up by "browsing" random stuff..... or worse, see sinister things on the web or play store).

My Memopad did an update almost right out of the box, but it's still running 4.2.1, and I have absolutely NO multiple user function in the Settings app.

If you look at Asus' page for this device's downloads, they have zip file you can get that has Android 4.2.2, but I do not know how to get this to update on the tablet (the "check for updates" doesn't update it to 4.2.2). Tablet & Mobile - ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7

I have no idea how to get that file to update the tablet (if it's even possible...... although why would they put a download for it, if we can't use it?) I tried to download that zip file onto the tablet, and it did unzip, but it won't do anything when I try to open it.

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Re: Memo Pad HD7--- Can't get 4.2.2, and I have no "Multi User" ability in Settings, need help quick

I just bought this thing, knowing it had 4.2. Apparently, not all 4.2 devices support multiple users. I bought this specifically for use with my wife, and my children (all who are far too young to have wide-open access to something they can easily mess up by "browsing" random stuff..... or worse, see sinister things on the web or play store).

My Memopad did an update almost right out of the box, but it's still running 4.2.1, and I have absolutely NO multiple user function in the Settings app.

If you look at Asus' page for this device's downloads, they have zip file you can get that has Android 4.2.2, but I do not know how to get this to update on the tablet (the "check for updates" doesn't update it to 4.2.2). Tablet & Mobile - ASUS MeMO Pad HD 7

I have no idea how to get that file to update the tablet (if it's even possible...... although why would they put a download for it, if we can't use it?) I tried to download that zip file onto the tablet, and it did unzip, but it won't do anything when I try to open it.
Try checking again for updates. Mine said it was up to date with 4.2.1 but then i looked at the top of the tablet screen and saw it was downloading a file. When checking what that was it said system update.. so i now have 4.2.2. Good luck. It now does show other user/add user in the settings/users section. I think you will be good to go.

Rabbiddog

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Re: Memo Pad HD7--- Can't get 4.2.2, and I have no "Multi User" ability in Settings, need help quick

You can actually plug your tablet into your PC and it will show up as a media device. This allows you to download the update to the tablet via your PC and then you can run the update from your tablet. This is the workaround if your tablet is not getting the update. From what I am reading the updates are rolled out in waves. But considering this latest update is several months old, all tablets should get it right away.

This however doesn't seem to be the case as I just bought 3 of these as Christmas gifts and are going through all three setting them up and getting them updated. One got the updates right away. The other two are getting the typical "Internet connection or server busy" error. So even with the updates being several months old. It looks like they still have to wait their 'turn' to get updated.

Dennis_H

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site

Where do you get the update from to download to PC and copy over? I don't see anything on their site that allows you to download it, and I get the constant can't connect to server message. I have registered it, etc, but no update.

Rabbiddog

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Where do you get the update from to download to PC and copy over? I don't see anything on their site that allows you to download it, and I get the constant can't connect to server message. I have registered it, etc, but no update.

The OP posted the link in his post (there are two updates. The first one doesn't actually update to 4.2.2, so you'll need both). You have to place the file in a specific location on the tablet in order for the system to see it. I forget where but you can just Google it. You'll also need to do them in release sequence.

I bought three of these and set them all up at the same time and only two have gotten the updates and they updated days apart. Still waiting on the third so it seems to just be a waiting game.

EDIT: Just looked at the link again and the file listed there is only the first update which is smaller and doesn't actually update the device to 4.2.2. It's the second update which was just released not long ago which does and is bigger in size than that one. Looks like Asus hasn't posted the second update yet.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Dante Anzalone

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

Was on the phone with Asus Tech Support for over an hour.. what it all comes down to bud, is doing a factory reset. When the reset is done go to your settings and click "UPDATE"

( NOTE: I urge you to be sure to back up your files before doing a factory reset or you will lose everything you've downloaded in your internal storage. )

Good Luck Bro
- D-Tizzle

ramothgold

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have the 4.2.2 update to download? I have been trying for two days and it keeps giving me errors. I the factory reset more times than I care to count. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and patience.

Ramoth

P.S. I looked at the link posted above and either I am blind or I am looking in the wrong place for the update.

Dennis_H

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site

I always had errors trying to do the system update till I did an app backup, then did the factory reset. Then it immediately found it and worked fine. Sounds like it isn't working for you though, but if anyone else is having a problem, give it a shot.

howick1966

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

I always had errors trying to do the system update till I did an app backup, then did the factory reset. Then it immediately found it and worked fine. Sounds like it isn't working for you though, but if anyone else is having a problem, give it a shot.

Worked great for me!

Batt4Christ

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Just got my MeMO HD 7 this week. Got set up, then today discovered that the 4.2.2 update was out. Went through settings to check and it showed update available. Tapped it - it downloaded. It asked if i wanted to install now. Ticked yes - Pad reboots, shows the android update animation. Then failed that word shown.

Device reboots by itself a few minutes later (still at 4.2.1). After trying several times with it failing every time, I found this thread - and so I backed up my apps, did the factory reset, then tried again - still fails.

Went on ASUS web site, filled out case file, joined chat and was given a link to the download and then he posted:

"Please follow the instructions below to have it installed.
1. Extract the file from the download zip file.
2. The extracted file should be then copied to the root folder of your microSD card. 3. Place microSD card into tablet.
4. Look for the notification on tablet."

Well - ok. So I did this. Inserting the microSD card does not bring up any notification. Only notification I can find is digging back in to the settings where it tells me there is an update available - but that only downloads the same one that kept failing. Indeed - it fails.

So - what have I missed?

etad putta

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I have had 2 of these tablets and both updated to 4.2.2 just fine. I will say however that i did update them without the micro sd card installed and it was one of the first things i did within minutes of turning the tablet on. 4.2.2 does update weird though. It showed it was up to date at 4.2.1 then auto updated to 4.2.2. good luck.

Batt4Christ

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

ASUS chat support is issuing an RMA#... I'm not happy with my very first ASUS experience. 3 days and device already has to go in for "service"...

Ujm Ik

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site

you have to reboot.