Random Reboots and charging questions

Mark Kounalis

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I have had the Asus Padfone X for about three months now, and it has been a pretty good experience until recently. In the last month I have been experiencing random reboots. The phone will reboot just sitting there, or in the middle of an active phone call. AT&T has sent me out two phones (the most recent of which I should get here this coming Monday) and so far it is still having the issue. I have done a factory reset of the phone, and ran it for a while without installing any applications at all on it after the reset. The phone rebooted in the middle of a phone conversation again. AT&T is telling me that they have had a lot of issues with people returning the phone and getting warranty replacements, with some having to have as many as five handset swaps before their issues (some similar to mine) have been resolved. I am curious to know if anyone else out there is having any of these issues? They happen if the phone is plugged into the tablet, or when the phone is on it's own. This happens if the phone has never been plugged into the tablet since it's last reboot, but does seem to happen a bit more often if I have the phone in the tablet or the phone was at some time in the tablet since the last reboot. AT&T has sent me out a new tablet each time with each new handset, so I don't think I have a fault tablet.

Also, I am reading that the battery in the tablet will charge the phone when the phone is docked. I am not seeing this at all. The only time I see that the phone is charging is when the tablet portion is plugged into a USB charger. Otherwise, the phone reports that it is not charging. I see the phone battery go down as well as the tablet battery go down - I don't see the phone staying the same - so I am wondering - is there a setting somewhere to turn on the ability for the tablet to charge the phone when the tablet is not connected to a power source?

One other comment that might or might not make a difference - I do have a 32gb SD card installed in the Padfone. I only mention that because other phones have had issues with SD cards. If in fact it's the SD card, I would have to ask then if the Padfone is a fully baked solution. I mean - if the phone can't operate with a SD card installed (which is a Samsung SD card FYI) then what is the usefulness of the phone?

I would love to hear anyone's opinions about either of these two topics. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If the SD card has become corrupt, then it could contribute to instability of the system. It's not necessarily the phone's fault if the card becomes corrupt (or if some of the files on it become corrupt)--although it's true that sometimes the phone might actually be causing the corruption. It's worth unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage) and removing it, then seeing how the phone does.

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got one of these off of craigslist yesterday as $75 was a good price for something to play with for awhile :D

I am also seeing the phone not charging when docked and the battery life is atrocious to say the least. Only have it off the charger for about 3 hrs and its down to 87%. I am currently disabling apps to see if that will help. Anyone have good luck with rooting? I am just worried if there are possible issues after root with the tablet portion of the device.

Lilhaus

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Good lord this PadFone X is a piece. DO NOT BUY ONE!! Actually, ATT pulled them as they know they are lemons...too bad they won't admit it so those of us stuck with a useless phone and tablet can get something that actually works!!!

SO many problems, but the biggest- tablet screen is dead. Sent back to Asus 3 times and they always say it works. Well, not with my phone! But you don't sent the phone with the tablet; ATT says send the phone to THEM!! HOW in the world can they possibly fix the unit if they are separated?? This is just so bass ackwards.

Next, the antenna burned out almost immediately. There's an issue with high heat, I hear. And it gets HOT. Fast.

Lots of other issues, but those 2 make it completely unusable. It's like Asus beta'd us here in the US! And good old ATT won't handle the problems. As usual.

Ulises German

Mar 24, 2015
Visit site
3 months ago I bought my Padfone X, works fine for the moment. Have many applications from AT&T, I can rooting and delete all trash applications.
With greenify you can hibernate all background process and have a better control of your smartphone.