ROG Phone 3 question.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised they removed the headphone jack, considering a wired connection is a requirement for gaming to avoid audio lag.

Maybe they exhausted their supply of jacks with the ROG 2, where you could have two?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I went with the Razer Phone 2, which was a gaming phone as well. It was rather clunky and not a good user experience.It's part of a full character name, anagramed from my real name. I had an extra "T" to spare and made it unique enough to use most places. Would you rather Mooncat1842837427?
It was breaking your chops about the spelling... Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Right, I'd like a second phone to switch between. Thinking the ROG, Pixel or Note 20U to add to my S20U.
That's a wide range of choices. Trading in my Note10+ for a Note20 Ultra to go with my S20 Ultra. I would consider Pixel but they seem to have totally dropped out of the hardware game.... At least for my taste. ROG is certainly interesting.

customshopkv1

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
That's a wide range of choices. Trading in my Note10+ for a Note20 Ultra to go with my S20 Ultra. I would consider Pixel but they seem to have totally dropped out of the hardware game.... At least for my taste. ROG is certainly interesting.
My concern is if I get the Note 20U that I won't even switch back to the S20U. Then I would be on the hunt again for a second device.

cknobman

May 15, 2018
Visit site
I'm really interested in the ROG phone.

I need/want a phone with great front firing speakers and great battery life. The ROG phone seems to be that phone.

Only thing I am worried about is updates. I dont wanna buy a phone this expensive and not get updates.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I need/want a phone with great front firing speakers and great battery life. The ROG phone seems to be that phone.

Only thing I am worried about is updates. I dont wanna buy a phone this expensive and not get updates.
I don't know where you are but it doesn't seem to be a great choice for U. S. Carriers based in the prior model.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't know where you are but it doesn't seem to be a great choice for U. S. Carriers based in the prior model.
I was just reminded in a thread from XDA that the prior ROG phones don't have VoLTE and Asus is unwilling to certify them for that in the U.S. With carriers all moving to VoLTE only for voice calls, it effectively kills them as a phone option with any U.S. carrier. The same would hold true if the ROG 3 isn't certified, unless you jumped through the same hoops as on Verizon and use Google Voice for calls and its associated lack of 911 access.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Someone wrote up some pros and cons

**Pros**

* Slightly toned-down, but still ROG-inspired gamer's design with great build quality.
* Backwards compatibility with many of the ROG Phone II accessories.
* AirTigger 3 ultrasonic touch sensors are very precise and versatile.
* Rich retail package, including 30W charger and AeroActive 3 cooler.
* Superb AMOLED screen with HDR10+ (true 10-bit), 144Hz refresh rate.
* Great battery life, even at full 144Hz. Rich battery health prolonging options.
* Industry-leading speaker performance, complete with gaming-specific sound tweaks.
* Fastest-available Snapdragon 865+ chipset, rich performance tweaks. Blazing-fast LPDDR5 RAM and UFS 3.1 storage.
* Clean underlying Android ROM, with an unparalleled number of well-organized game tweaking, control-mapping and performance option.
* Unrivaled accessory ecosystem.
* Solid daylight photos, as well as low-light images.
* Very good video quality, impressive EIS.

**Cons**

* No water or dust resistance.
* No microSD, no 3.5mm jack
* The beta software we tested still has a few kinks
* Rather basic camera setup, compared to typical 2020 flagships. HDR needs some extra work

-Not sure if you saw the reviews on youtube but it comes with a dongle for the 3.5mm jack. usb c to 3.5
-And from all the reviews it never mentioned it was VoLTE ready. I know that at XDA, they came up with way to "activate" the VoLTE without having to root your phone. Unfortunately I don't have faith in my phone/computer skills to take on a project like that. But if you are TMobile, then if what they are printing is true, by January, any non-VoLTE phones will not work on their network. I guess it's back to Samsung for me.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

I have received lots of updates for the ROG 2, from air trigger fixes to fixes for games that were crashing.

But if you have TMobile, you will want to skip this phone as they will not allow it to work on their network after January if its not VoLTE activated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463