Thoughts on the ROG Phone II?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The specs look GREAT, especially that 120 refresh rate. The 90 on my OP7 really makes a difference

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, and here's my views based on that article.

What I like:
Large battery
Cooling properties
Camera sensor pixel size (but would want a dedicated camera review, preferably comparing to the LG V-series)
Flat screen
Bezels
RGB lighting
Customizable options/accessories
Headphone jack

What I don't like:
Most likely a sealed battery
AMOLED display
Looks to be a glass body
Tall and skinny
Price estimates

The camera abilities may be the make or break issue for me. I despise sealed batteries and AMOLED screens (considering games have a lot of static images, I'm surprised they are using that in a gaming phone). If the camera doesn't perform comparable to the LG V-series to counter those, then this would be a no go for me. Pixel count is the least of my concerns. The pixel size is nice, meaning less noise and better low light performance. The aperture size is ok. Hopefully the glass is good. I do a lot of low light and long term exposures, so would need to see what sort of manual controls it offers too. On the video side of things, microphones that can handle stuff like a jet engine and manual A/V controls would be needed as well. LG is the king of A/V hardware and software for those using manual controls, so this phone has some big shoes to fill for my interests. Definitely want to see example photos and videos that push the limits of the phone. Oh, and the ability to save RAW files would be needed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The aperture size is ok.
f1.79? I'd rather see something like a Pixel 2 or 3 (Video Core), but with a lens around f0.95 or larger. (And manual aperture control, of course - the depth of field on a .95 lens makes all shots "portrait mode".) But it's almost 2 full f-stops more light. (Combine that with the VC and you probably can take pictures you can't see. Right now, even the light slipping in under a door isn't quite enough.) And most of my photography is done in either low light or shallow DoF.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
f1.79? I'd rather see something like a Pixel 2 or 3 (Video Core), but with a lens around f0.95 or larger. (And manual aperture control, of course - the depth of field on a .95 lens makes all shots "portrait mode".) But it's almost 2 full f-stops more light. (Combine that with the VC and you probably can take pictures you can't see. Right now, even the light slipping in under a door isn't quite enough.) And most of my photography is done in either low light or shallow DoF.
That's more of a wish list than comments on the ROG phone. I'm personally not a big portrait guy, so those insanely shallow DoF's aren't a big draw for me.

Ysnmusk

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Most likely will not be getting the note 10 this year. Had all the Notes since the 2. I need a headphone jack. So shopping around for a new phone. Was thinking maybe the new zenfone with the flip up camera. But now.... ROG 2 here I come.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Most likely will not be getting the note 10 this year. Had all the Notes since the 2. I need a headphone jack. So shopping around for a new phone. Was thinking maybe the new zenfone with the flip up camera. But now.... ROG 2 here I come.

Yep, I had the Note8, and now the Note9, was eagerly awaiting the Note10, but then started hearing things that I don't really like.

Headphone jack, I don' t use it much, but I like it when I need it.

Hole punch display, I am against notches and hole punch, even thought they have it down to about as small as they can make it.

No dual speakers, or in glass speaker. I like the dual speakers on the Note9, but I sure do miss the ones on my HTC One M8. Love having dual front firing speakers.

I do like the size, I love big screen phones, but not with a hole in it. I would rather have a small bezel than a freakin hole in the display.

That being said, found out about the ROG 2 phone last night and watched a couple of unboxings. Looks awesome and has some awesome specs. I am definitely interested.

Also not sure about using my Galaxy watch on a non-Galaxy phone.

Also, how is Asus on updates?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Amazing! So glad Asus is taking advantage of the mobile gaming market (other than laptops). This is awesome! And whoah, how often do you need to charge it? Once a week? 🤣😮

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
So I have literally no need for a new phone, but I have to admit this device has me quite intrigued.

The potential battery life looks like it could be amazing. Especially with a 2k screen, and will likely be two day + even if you have the frame rate cranked up. Speakers are also reportedly very, very nice.

But what REALLY has me interested is something I've wanted to see on devices for a long time. That is, at boot up you get an option to run the Asus skin or stock Android.

I don't even play games much on my phone but this thing has me tempted. I do wish it also had CDMA radios in it though.

https://youtu.be/QBHws9hPJYs

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's definitely a spec beast, but I'm not sure how the OS is on it, and the price could be little less maybe like one plus territory for phone not as popular as a Pixel, Samsung,lg and others .

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely a spec beast, but I'm not sure how the OS is on it, and the price could be little less maybe like one plus territory for phone not as popular as a Pixel, Samsung,lg and others .

From what's reported you can opt for stock Android when you first boot it up, or select their ROG gaming skin if that's your preference.

What I'm wondering about is how Asus is at updates, both software and security....

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
From what's reported you can opt for stock Android when you first boot it up, or select their ROG gaming skin if that's your preference.

What I'm wondering about is how Asus is at updates, both software and security....
Interesting didn't know that, but good question.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site

From what I've seen you have a choice to use the Zenfone UI or the ROG UI.

I would also like to hear from someone about update frequency.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm still running 7.0 and not even allowing Oreo to download on my current phone. I think it goes without saying, I couldn't care less about updates... Aside from wanting to know how to block them.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
From what I've seen you have a choice to use the Zenfone UI or the ROG UI.

I would also like to hear from someone about update frequency.

Check the link I provided above. I'm not sure if he had an international version, but the reviewer states you have a choice between stock Android or Asus's "ROG" theme at boot up. Perhaps this devices Zenfone UI is minimalist enough to call it stock Android?

At any rate I hope he's right.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The ROG II reportedly has the same main camera sensor as the ZenFone 6, so I did some digging around to find this.

https://www.dxomark.com/asus-zenfone-6-front-camera-review/

Color me impressed! So, for those more familiar worth Asus, I have a couple questions left.

The original ROG had a good set of manual controls for photos, and I doubt this will be any different. What I can't seem to find is if there's manual video controls. Is that available and what can be adjusted?

The LG V20 mics are rated for 130dB. Any idea how Asus stacks up compared to that?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc