Thoughts on the ROG Phone II?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I'll have to look into it. I'm pretty happy with the OnePlus 7 Pro right now. The manual mode is fantastic although missing any type of flash controls in that mode completely. Also OnePlus has been and plans to push out many more camera updates. I have received more camera updates in just three months than I have with LG in 3 years. However, I will be keeping my eye on the next LG V series phone. I have a feeling the headphone jack isn't going anywhere and it will probably be the most complete phone outside of the Galaxy devices this year. I'm enjoying my 7 Pro but there are some things I just miss from LG. Manual video controls being at the top of that list. Using Filmic Pro has turned out to be nice but nothing beats native support. Do you think you'll finally upgrade? Anyway your V20 is paid for so you won't be losing anything anyway right?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'll have to look into it. I'm pretty happy with the OnePlus 7 Pro right now. The manual mode is fantastic although missing any type of flash controls in that mode completely. Also OnePlus has been and plans to push out many more camera updates. I have received more camera updates in just three months than I have with LG in 3 years. However, I will be keeping my eye on the next LG V series phone. I have a feeling the headphone jack isn't going anywhere and it will probably be the most complete phone outside of the Galaxy devices this year. I'm enjoying my 7 Pro but there are some things I just miss from LG. Manual video controls being at the top of that list. Using Filmic Pro has turned out to be nice but nothing beats native support. Do you think you'll finally upgrade? Anyway your V20 is paid for so you won't be losing anything anyway right?
Got it 2 days ago the 1+7 pro excellent phone

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
LG is quickly losing my interest with their now cookie cutter designs. For as good as their A/V abilities are, it's just not enough to offset the sealed batteries, glass bodies, OLED screens, notches... Basically everything Samsung about the phone. Lol.

Granted the ROG phone has some of those downsides (including no micro-SD card support), but this may be enough in the camera dept. to make it tolerable. Plus I do enjoy gaming and it sounds like this will have pretty good stereo speakers, a flat screen, and bezels. I'm on the fence right now. Unless the next V-series phone just really awes me, I doubt I'll consider it.

Oh, and another issue is questionable Verizon support. They couldn't get Asus to do the software needed on the first ROG to be compatible with their network. Right now there's only one budget Asus phone available on Verizon's website, so I may be out of luck either way.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how definitive the specs are at this point, but GSM Arena shows no band 71 for this device. If that's true for the unlocked version it's a deal breaker for me.

ROE_HUNTER

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Check the link I provided above. I'm not sure if he had an international version, but the reviewer states you have a choice between stock Android or Asus's "ROG" theme at boot up. Perhaps this devices Zenfone UI is minimalist enough to call it stock Android?

At any rate I hope he's right.

Yes, that is how I took it to be, very minimalist skin.

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I'm very impressed with this phone, and I'm not a gamer. I was thinking about the Oppo Reno 10x as i like something a little different but the styling if this phone really attracts me. The specs are great and as long as the camera holds up, I'm kinda sold

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
One thing I absolutely love about this phone is the design though. It instantly stands out and looks gorgeous, yet bold.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I would really like to get this as my next phone, but have one concern about the size of it. It's massive, and might not be a great device to carry around due to small pockets.

I love all the specs on it, though!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm settled on this being my next phone. I'm seeing a lot of nice features on it popping up that aren't part of the main advertising (I.e. An actual color temp slider to adjust the display vs. A few presets). The guys over on XDA have been using them and have a number of good topics as well. Now Asus just needs to stop twiddling their thumbs and release the thing in the U.S.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Do it :)
I think I'm settled on this being my next phone. I'm seeing a lot of nice features on it popping up that aren't part of the main advertising (I.e. An actual color temp slider to adjust the display vs. A few presets). The guys over on XDA have been using them and have a number of good topics as well. Now Asus just needs to stop twiddling their thumbs and release the thing in the U.S.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I hear the Pixel could be in 1100 range price wise in the US. If it is, then this is my next phone instead.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
How much will the ROG go for?

It's gotta be at least a stack eh? if I am going to pay a stack for a phone, then it better have some juice to it.

I feel like this one would be worth it, and the Pixel 4 at $1000 is a joke.

I am a huge Android fanboy, but damn bro, what is the deal with these over priced Pixels? 6G of ram and a 128GB HDD for the price of a Note? Come on.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It's gotta be at least a stack eh? if I am going to pay a stack for a phone, then it better have some juice to it.

I feel like this one would be worth it, and the Pixel 4 at $1000 is a joke.

I am a huge Android fanboy, but damn bro, what is the deal with these over priced Pixels? 6G of ram and a 128GB HDD for the price of a Note? Come on.
I hear you , any phone costing a G is crazy..
Thing is I know pixel phones , I'm not familiar with ROG ...I know I'm getting high end specs from Rog but that's all I know . Google I know I'm getting high ranking camera, 3 year updates and stock Android with decent spec sheets compared competition.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I hear you , any phone costing a G is crazy..
Thing is I know pixel phones , I'm not familiar with ROG ...I know I'm getting high end specs from Rog but that's all I know . Google I know I'm getting high ranking camera, 3 year updates and stock Android with decent spec sheets compared competition.

That's the saving grace for it. I feel like we Google guys/gals need to stand up and just stop buying them at these ridiculous prices. Even just one cycle, and tell them it was because of the price.