Thoughts on the ROG Phone II?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's the saving grace for it. I feel like we Google guys/gals need to stand up and just stop buying them at these ridiculous prices. Even just one cycle, and tell them it was because of the price.
That's why never buy them straight out the gate as there be discount down the road .

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How much will the ROG go for?
The China Tencent version can be had for about $650, which is lower spec'd and has other downsides if using outside of China. The "elite" global version (512 GB/12 GB) was priced at €900 and the "Ultimate" global version (1 TB/12 GB, plus faster modem and matte finish) was €1,200 at the U.K. event. That's roughly $1,000 and $1,300 respectively. I haven't seen official U.S. pricing yet.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The China Tencent version can be had for about $650, which is lower spec'd and has other downsides if using outside of China. The "elite" global version (512 GB/12 GB) was priced at €900 and the "Ultimate" global version (1 TB/12 GB, plus faster modem and matte finish) was €1,200 at the U.K. event. That's roughly $1,000 and $1,300 respectively. I haven't seen official U.S. pricing yet.
Will it be available in the US ?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Where will they sell it in the Us ?
Not sure about the elite version, but the Ultimate version will likely only be available through their own website like in other countries. My guess is the elite will be sold there, and at major phone retailers (i.e. Best Buy and B&H), but kinda doubting direct from the carriers.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not sure about the elite version, but the Ultimate version will likely only be available through their own website like in other countries. My guess is the elite will be sold there, and at major phone retailers (i.e. Best Buy and B&H), but kinda doubting direct from the carriers.
Gotcha ...

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
This phone has high-end specs and if I were more into gaming, I would definitely get one. Since I'm not, I feel that I would lose interest after the honeymoon phase.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The more I read up on user experiences in the U.S., the more this sounds like this is the best phone you shouldn't buy. Phenomenal specs, but it doesn't seem to be fully compatible on ANY U.S. carrier. Plus no VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling. I'm not ready to completely write it off, but things aren't looking good for us unless you just don't care about making calls on it.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
It seems like they didn't want this phone to sell. The lack of voLTE, WiFi support and any Verison support at all is just embarrassing.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems like they didn't want this phone to sell. The lack of voLTE, WiFi support and any Verison support at all is just embarrassing.
I've been following the discussions on XDA and there may be Verizon hope yet. One guy has it working as data only and uses Google Voice for calls and text. That should get around the VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling problem. Someone else this morning said their Verizon SIM worked right away for data, so they called tech support and the rep submitted some sort of form. From the sounds of it, this form may be for manual activation for call and texting support, but he was a little vague on the details.

It'll still be a couple weeks before I'll know if I'll be able to pull the trigger financially, but I'm willing to give it a try if I can.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I won't touch it. I have a job where I am on call. I can't risk any call issues due to work arounds, as people will literally die if I am late.

Asus needs to get this certified so folks who want to spend money, can spend money.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I won't touch it. I have a job where I am on call. I can't risk any call issues due to work arounds, as people will literally die if I am late.

Asus needs to get this certified so folks who want to spend money, can spend money.
I'm sure I'd say the same in your position.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, a real kick in the gutz if it can't be used as a phone! Otherwise I'd consider buying one here in Aussie only because it's top spec

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084