Possible ROG Phone 2 work around for Verizon users.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've been chatting in a thread on XDA with a guy that claims to have got the U.S. release of the ROG Phone 2 working on Verizon. Basically the phone can be activated as a CDMA-less device for data only, then use Google Voice for calls and texting. If I'm understanding him right, I expect this would also get around the lack of VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling, since GV works through the data connection anyway. That definitely keeps this phone on my radar, and I know there's a lot of Verizon uses complaining about the lack of Verizon support. This is the thread we've been conversing in. It's about Wi-Fi calling in general, so our conversation is mixed in with everything else. Comment 72 from him has the most detailed explanation so far, if you want to cut to the chase.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/rog-phone-2/help/wifi-calling-rog-2-t3966575/page8#post80394409

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've been using Hangouts Dialer for voice and text (but not as the default voice app - Phone still rings on incoming calls) for a couple of years. I have 4 numbers, and you can only connect a phone to one. It works with no problem. (I guess if I disabled phone, it would ask me what I wanted to use the first time a call came in, and if I chose Hangouts and Always, that would make it a full phone on data only.)