What are ASUS like for updates?

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been tempted to upgrade from the Pixel 3 XL to the ASUS ROG Phone II.

Anyone that's had an ASUS smartphone before that can tell me what they are like for updates both in terms of how quickly they update their phones when new versions of Android come out and for how long they support their devices?

I've had plenty of Android phones over the years but the Pixel 3 XL is the first stock Android device I've had. Not sure how difficult it's going to be to move from that back to another another manufacturer.

willanaya

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
when you first set up your phone, you have the option to choose ASUS UI or a semi stock version of android (you can also change back and forth in the settings under themes if you want to experience both). I am new to this phone too so my knowledge is very limited. from what I have read ASUS will push out Android 10 but it might be a while.

if you go with the ASUS UI or the semi stock Android UI, you will get their gaming app and a data transfer app (I think Netflix was preinstalled too). the ASUS UI reminds me of the first Motorola Droid, gimmicky and maybe an icebreaker to those who are curious about the phone. I am glad I switched from my Note 8 to this one.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
when you first set up your phone, you have the option to choose ASUS UI or a semi stock version of android (you can also change back and forth in the settings under themes if you want to experience both). I am new to this phone too so my knowledge is very limited. from what I have read ASUS will push out Android 10 but it might be a while.

if you go with the ASUS UI or the semi stock Android UI, you will get their gaming app and a data transfer app (I think Netflix was preinstalled too). the ASUS UI reminds me of the first Motorola Droid, gimmicky and maybe an icebreaker to those who are curious about the phone. I am glad I switched from my Note 8 to this one.

Thanks for sharing your experience, much appreciated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This would be my first Asus phone, but everything I've read points to them being one of the last to push updates.

Personally, I don't see that as a problem. Figuring out how to block forced OS updates is usually one of the first things I do on a phone because of so many bad experiences with them.

Lazzo

Mar 13, 2020
Visit site
I would not have high hopes on that

I've been tempted to upgrade from the Pixel 3 XL to the ASUS ROG Phone II.

Anyone that's had an ASUS smartphone before that can tell me what they are like for updates both in terms of how quickly they update their phones when new versions of Android come out and for how long they support their devices?

I've had plenty of Android phones over the years but the Pixel 3 XL is the first stock Android device I've had. Not sure how difficult it's going to be to move from that back to another another manufacturer.

All of the smartphones I have bought till now are from Asus, right from the very first zenfone 5 with Intel atom processor to Asus zenfone max pro m1 to now, ROG phone 2. From this experience, I would say, it's better not to expect updates at all.

Why? Well Asus is well known for delayed updates and often buggy firmware experience for low to midrange smartphones. Buggy lolipop update of asus zenfone 5 (intel atom), then a bit better android pie experience with zenfone max pro m1 are worth mentioning. But it's surprising to know that they are putting effort for ROG phone 2 Android 10 update. I got to admit, this phone is the first time Asus managed to impress me when it comes to software. So if they managed to release update in like a week from now or even more time, it'll be polished I guess. Besides it's already showing an update marker rn so it's not far.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200313-195511873.jpg
    Screenshot_20200313-195511873.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs