ROG Phone II US LTE Support? Other limits?

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,

I got the ROG Phone II this week, and noticed that I was only getting 4G speeds on T-Mobile when on other devices (the iPhone 11 Pro Max, for instance) I was getting 4G LTE. Is this due to any band limitations on the US version?

Any other limits?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know TMO has been hit and miss with other users and it is missing band 71 support. Do you know for sure that you bought the North America version and not the cheap China Tencent version that has less band support?

The other big limitation is no VoLTE support in the U.S. If you're here, it can only make calls via the GSM network, and all of the carriers are shutting them down in the next 2-3 years or so. When that happens, the phone will loose the ability to make calls unless you switch to something like Google Voice (but that will still leave you without 911 access).

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I know TMO has been hit and miss with other users and it is missing band 71 support. Do you know for sure that you bought the North America version and not the cheap China Tencent version that has less band support?

The other big limitation is no VoLTE support in the U.S. If you're here, it can only make calls via the GSM network, and all of the carriers are shutting them down in the next 2-3 years or so. When that happens, the phone will loose the ability to make calls unless you switch to something like Google Voice (but that will still leave you without 911 access).

Thanks for the reply..Yes, i bought the United States version from B&H earlier this week so I have to assume it's the local elite version with 512 GB of internal storage and 12 GB of RAM. It's a gorgeous device. Do you have the US version? Do you recommend I try it on another network?

I generally got it because I love all things Republic of Gamers so really as a gaming device first and a phone second but it would be nice to make it my daily driver.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't own it, but I looked pretty heavily into it. I need it primarily as a phone, so the lack of VoLTE is a big deal for me.

As for carriers, AT&T has better coverage I think with it. You can use it on Verizon as a data only device (using Google Voice for calls and texts), but would provide great 4G coverage. I haven't heard anything about Sprint.

Kaelon

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, the lack of VoLTE seems like a major miss on ASUS' part. Not sure what they were thinking there - and more importantly, not sure if there's any real remedy for customers.

Re: carriers, looks like I might look into AT&T for a secondary device. Though, really, I've gotten it as a novelty rather than my daily driver (which remains my iPhone 11 Pro Max). I just wish that this phone were reliable enough to take over.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had quite a bit of experience with what customers look like to ASUS - we're money sources. If we like the products they make, fine - if not, they'll lie about the products to get us to buy them. The only customer-facing department they have is what I call "Customer Disservice". (It's why, last week when I was buying a new motherboard for the computer I was building, and had the choice of
ASUS or MSI, even though MSI isn't that great, I ended up with an MSI board. [Now it looks as if the people at ASUS have 2 phones on their desks - one for ASUS calls, one for MSI calls. MSI is no better.])