When I decide to mod, I wanna be ready.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to Android. I mod HTC's no problem, quite easy.

However, I know nothing about modding any other OEM. And according to reading about something called ".blob" and other commands that have me confused beyond compare.

Long story short, how would I flash a custom recovery, the kernel, and anything else I would need?

I already have the unlocking bootloader app, I'm just debating on voiding my extended warranty or not.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
You would flash a blob just like a boot.img

If you are not already rooted, you will have to flash a recovery using a computer and fast boot commands. Just like you would unlock a boot loader or flash a recovery on an HTC device.

After unlocked and with a recovery, you just flash everything from the recovery. You can flash kernels and everything from it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I noticed a difference in the commands, but its not too big.

HTC: fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img"

ASUS: fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery "recovery.img"

Do you know why and what that extra bit after Fastboot in the ASUS command (-i 0x0B05) is there and what does it mean?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I noticed a difference in the commands, but its not too big.

HTC: fastboot flash recovery "recovery.img"

ASUS: fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery "recovery.img"

Do you know why and what that extra bit after Fastboot in the ASUS command (-i 0x0B05) is there and what does it mean?

Honestly I don't understand it, but I have read someone else post that it is like switch in the software. Almost like a name. If you put it in incorrectly it gives you an incorrect model message.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't understand it, but I have read someone else post that it is like switch in the software. Almost like a name. If you put it in incorrectly it gives you an incorrect model message.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

All right, great! I just freaked out when I saw a whole different style of commands. But flashing and wiping is the same across the boards?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
All right, great! I just freaked out when I saw a whole different style of commands. But flashing and wiping is the same across the boards?

as far as i have found. I just started last week so ya know lol.

And you can flash kernals in recovery. I know on some s-on htc devices like my rezound you cannot without going s-off. On the tf300 you can so no boot.img flashing from bootloader or cmd prompt.

Other than that you flash zip files like anything else as far as i can tell. Make backups, check your md5's, and have fun :)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
as far as i have found. I just started last week so ya know lol.

And you can flash kernals in recovery. I know on some s-on htc devices like my rezound you cannot without going s-off. On the tf300 you can so no boot.img flashing from bootloader or cmd prompt.

Other than that you flash zip files like anything else as far as i can tell. Make backups, check your md5's, and have fun :)

How do you check your MD5 values?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
How do you check your MD5 values?

You can do it on the device by using ES or another file browser. Go to properties of the file and then calculate checksum. Just make sure it matches the sum posted by the dev. Most devs post them in the thread or with the download. If it matches it means that it is more than likely not corrupted in any way. It is just a precaution.

You can also download utilizes for you pc and such. It is best to do it after it is on the sd card.

Usually roms and stuff just wont boot if there is a corruption problem, but if it is something like an RUU that rewrites the bootloader you could end up with a permanently bricked device if the file gets corrupted along the way.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You can do it on the device by using ES or another file browser. Go to properties of the file and then calculate checksum. Just make sure it matches the sum posted by the dev. Most devs post them in the thread or with the download. If it matches it means that it is more than likely not corrupted in any way. It is just a precaution.

You can also download utilizes for you pc and such. It is best to do it after it is on the sd card.

Usually roms and stuff just wont boot if there is a corruption problem, but if it is something like an RUU that rewrites the bootloader you could end up with a permanently bricked device if the file gets corrupted along the way.

Now that's the reason why I don't want to S-OFF my Vivid, but ASUS Android tablets have no such bootloader safety?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Now that's the reason why I don't want to S-OFF my Vivid, but ASUS Android tablets have no such bootloader safety?

Honestly I don't know what the differences are. I am just as safe as I can be lol. Poop happens sometimes whether you are safe or not unfortunately though...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I don't know what the differences are. I am just as safe as I can be lol. Poop happens sometimes whether you are safe or not unfortunately though...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Yeah, that's why I'm scared. Although I'm having issues with the screen, if it somehow hard bricks, I'm gonna cry! :'(

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that's why I'm scared. Although I'm having issues with the screen, if it somehow hard bricks, I'm gonna cry! :'(

If you have not unlocked, you might want to wait if you think that there is a hardware issue.

There is always risk, but as long as you face the facts and be careful I would not worry about it. Just be smart and you should be fine. Unless something crazy happens most all mistakes can be fixed.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, don't I need to unlock my bootloader before anything?

Yes if you want to root or rom anything. You said something about the screen, so I thought you meant there might be a hardware problem. Unlocking the bootloader voids your warranty, so if you were going to make a claim you would need to do it before you unlock...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes if you want to root or rom anything. You said something about the screen, so I thought you meant there might be a hardware problem. Unlocking the bootloader voids your warranty, so if you were going to make a claim you would need to do it before you unlock...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Yeah...I understand. All right, thanks! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles