Good deal on prime keyboard dock

vectorman

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know whether there really is an Infinity-specific dock. I'm using the Infinity pad with a Prime dock--the one I purchased with the TF201--and as far as I can tell, they work perfectly together. As soon as I joined them for the first time, a notification appeared informing me that a keyboard dock update was available; it updated my dock from 0206 to 0207. Obviously, since I do not have an infinity-specific dock, I can't say definitively that there is no difference between them, but there is none that I can detect for the moment.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I don't know whether there really is an Infinity-specific dock. I'm using the Infinity pad with a Prime dock--the one I purchased with the TF201--and as far as I can tell, they work perfectly together. As soon as I joined them for the first time, a notification appeared informing me that a keyboard dock update was available; it updated my dock from 0206 to 0207. Obviously, since I do not have an infinity-specific dock, I can't say definitively that there is no difference between them, but there is none that I can detect for the moment.

From people that are getting "TF700" docks, they're pretty much the same

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Even best buy suggests you get the 99$ prime dock when you order the infinity. When you click on the link for the doc it takes you to the TF201 dock. You think they would have made sure they got the right one in there, unless they are really trying to dump their stock as quickly as possible.

keyboarddoc.jpg

BeverageNinja

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to a local BB and picked up a TF201 Docking Station on sale for 99. All of the inputs work just fine with the TF700T.

The only issue is that the locking switch does not slide all the way right when the tablet is inserted into the TF210 docking station. It only moves about halfway to the right and I have to slide it over the rest of the way with my finger. Not sure if the Transformer Prime did the same thing with this docking station as I've never used one before. At first I didn't think much of it, but after messing around I found that if that locking switch isn't all the way to the right, the tablet can come loose from the docking station.

1. Insert TF700T into the TF210 Docking Station.
2. Notice that the locking switch is not all the way to the right, but just about in the middle.
3. Pull up on the tablet to remove from the docking station.

Seems like poor design to me that you have to manually slide the lock to ensure the tablet doesn't fall out. This is minor as far as I'm concerned, and might be a known issue, but I thought people should know, especially if you're like me and bought the TF210 docking station for your TF700T.

Has anyone else noticed this with their TF201 or the TF700 branded docking stations?

jel415

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the dock about 1hr ago. Color is the same and so far I like it. My slide lock lever is also about middle of the way but i just picked up the tablet and gave it a shake it's solid to the keyboard and i can't slide the lock to the right anymore than it already is. Not sure if you just aren't fully seated but......

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Went to a local BB and picked up a TF201 Docking Station on sale for 99. All of the inputs work just fine with the TF700T.

The only issue is that the locking switch does not slide all the way right when the tablet is inserted into the TF210 docking station. It only moves about halfway to the right and I have to slide it over the rest of the way with my finger. Not sure if the Transformer Prime did the same thing with this docking station as I've never used one before. At first I didn't think much of it, but after messing around I found that if that locking switch isn't all the way to the right, the tablet can come loose from the docking station.

1. Insert TF700T into the TF210 Docking Station.
2. Notice that the locking switch is not all the way to the right, but just about in the middle.
3. Pull up on the tablet to remove from the docking station.

Seems like poor design to me that you have to manually slide the lock to ensure the tablet doesn't fall out. This is minor as far as I'm concerned, and might be a known issue, but I thought people should know, especially if you're like me and bought the TF210 docking station for your TF700T.

Has anyone else noticed this with their TF201 or the TF700 branded docking stations?

no problems here. The slider is about halfway but the tab will not come off the dock.

BeverageNinja

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up the dock about 1hr ago. Color is the same and so far I like it. My slide lock lever is also about middle of the way but i just picked up the tablet and gave it a shake it's solid to the keyboard and i can't slide the lock to the right anymore than it already is. Not sure if you just aren't fully seated but......

It's fully seated. I've pushed a little harder than I would normally and the slider just doesn't move. Also, I didn't pick up the tablet while in the dock and shake it, I just lifted the tablet out of the dock and it came free as if it were unlocked.

I found this quote in a customer review from a guy named "Kenny" for the TF201 docking station on Amazon. He mentions some rubber plugs on the bottom of the Transformer Prime that are inside the docking ports? Are these only on the Transformer Prime or are they on the Transformer Infinity as well? I can't seem to find them. Any idea what he's talking about?

"- There's two little rubber plugs that are inserted into the bottom of the tablet. If you lay it down face up above your keyboard you'll see that these line up with some locking clips inside the hinge on the keyboard dock. Those rubber plugs need to be removed before attempting to insert the tablet. You can take them out with jeweler's screw driver or if you wanna McGyver it, use the latch on your watch band, if you wear a sports watch. They pull straight out the bottom of the tablet and are almost 1/2 inch deep. When you insert the tablet to the dock you'll hear a distinctive click and the little chrome latch will be resting at the far right of the slide."
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Transfor...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU2007122

cg1492

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I did not have any issues with mine locking into the keyboard dock. I did not see any rubber plugs on my tab, so I am not sure what they were talking about but it slides and locks right in.

KylJoy

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Infinity TF700 dock at Amazon for $150.00. When it arrived I opened the box and noticed that the dock was covered with fingerprints. "Odd...", I thought. Then, I attached it to my new Infinity. But, I quickly noticed that it was exactly like my Prime's dock. So, I switched them with each other. They are absolutely the same. There is no spacing difference, no color difference between the two keyboards, the slider/lock was snug and went halfway sometimes on both, not just the TF201... they appear to be identical. Now, I am PISSED... It appears that I have been defrauded. I paid $150.00 for a dock I thought I had to have since ASUS was claiming at one time that the docks were not compatible with each other. I think that someone simply pulled to old label off of the keyboard and stuck a new one on and didn't even wipe off their fingerprints. I can pick up a second TF201 from BB for $50.00 less!!! I went to Best Buy tonight and purchased a $99.00 TF201 and slapped it on my Infinity and it works just fine and fits perfectly and the color is identical to the other dock I bought from Amazon (though neither was 100% identical to the tablet, but it is virtually unnoticeable). So, now I'm trying to return the $150.00 dock. ASUS has really let me down again. First, the Prime's GPS and other wireless issues and now ASUS is lying about the keyboard docks. Geez... Good news? The Infinity IS AWESOME. Looking forward to Jelly Bean. Hope it fixes the IO issues on the Prime AND the Infinity.

KylJoy

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered the Infinity TF700 dock at Amazon for $150.00. When it arrived I opened the box and noticed that the dock was covered with fingerprints. "Odd...", I thought. Then, I attached it to my new Infinity. But, I quickly noticed that it was exactly like my Prime's dock. So, I switched them with each other. They are absolutely the same. There is no spacing difference, no color difference between the two keyboards, the slider/lock was snug and went halfway sometimes on both, not just the TF201... they appear to be identical. Now, I am PISSED... It appears that I have been defrauded. I paid $150.00 for a dock I thought I had to have since ASUS was claiming at one time that the docks were not compatible with each other. I think that someone simply pulled the old label off of the keyboard and stuck a new one on and didn't even wipe off their fingerprints. I can pick up a second TF201 from BB for $50.00 less!!! I went to Best Buy tonight and purchased a $99.00 TF201 and slapped it on my Infinity and it works just fine and fits perfectly and the color is identical to the other dock I bought from Amazon (though neither was 100% identical to the tablet, but it is virtually unnoticeable). So, now I'm trying to return the $150.00 dock. ASUS has really let me down again. First, the Prime's GPS and other wireless issues and now ASUS is lying about the keyboard docks. Geez... Good news? The Infinity IS AWESOME. Looking forward to Jelly Bean. Hope it fixes the IO issues on the Prime AND the Infinity.

More good news... The Amazon seller is allowing me to return the TF201. They are NOT HAPPY with ASUS and claim that a LOT of customers are also NOT HAPPY with ASUS. At first, they wanted to charge me a 15% restocking fee. But I convinced them that I was defrauded since ASUS was at one time claiming that the TF201 keyboard/dock would not be compatible with the TF700 and that's why I bought it which is true. They actually agreed and are escalating to ASUS "again" (their word). They said that ASUS has really screwed the sellers and distributors along with the end customers. This may be my last ASUS product. I'm tired of the low-end, dishonest tactics.

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
What's funny is that this is pretty much what Apple does with their products, but nothing but love for them.

Sometimes worse than this lol.

Anyways, I picked up a TF201 dock at Best Buy today. I think it was one of two they had left in stock. No TF201s out, no TF700s, no Nexus 7s...my local Best Buy has nothing lol.

And I really seem to be enjoying the dock. The keys take a little getting used to, but after a little while I think I'm typing on this just fine. I think this is the real way to use a tablet lol.

Last edited:

BeverageNinja

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, after about a week and a half of use, the docking station lock now slides all the way over to the right when I insert the tablet. I guess it was just a little stiff.

kitty84043

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
YES. Mine did the same thing, I bought mine at BB and got it for $149.00 the TF201 docking station. It fit fine with my new TF700T, but the same thing happened with the locking switch that didn't slide all the way.

Eventually after having it only 3 months the locking switch broke! It still works and I haven't replaced it since I can still charge my tablet and use the keyboard, but I have to be really careful so that I don't drop my precious tablet because it isn't locked into place. BUT for how much I paid for the stupid keyboard I did expect MORE. I actually scratched my screen because of it and just kicking myself that I didn't put a screen protector on it.

Anyone know how to buff out a scratch on your screen or fix it??

I am going to go look at the new docking station, maybe for Christmas I'll get the new one and see if it would of been worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech