Infinity TF700 or (Rumored) Nexus 10?

jazzbassist1

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am a university student and this fall I will be in a program of study that will rely heavily on ebooks, collaborative online documents, and electronic databases, so I am currently in the market for a tablet. I was planning on purchasing a tablet this summer, but with the announcement of the Nexus 7, my plans might have changed. On one hand, I love the idea of a nexus tablet with updates straight from Google and no worries of manufacturer bloatware or update delays, but only having a 7 inch screen is a deal-breaker for me. I really can't justify buying a device with such a small screen when I want to use it to do some on-the-go content creation as opposed to using it exclusively as a consumption device, which the Nexus 7 is designed for.

Right now, it seems that the TF700 is the top of the line 10" Android tablet. I could buy one before school starts in August, but with rumors swirling of a possible 10" Nexus tablet coming out for the holiday season, I am tempted to rough it for a few months until that device drops, if the rumors are true.

So, any owners of the TF700, are there any major drawbacks to the TF700 that I should know about? I've not heard encouraging things about the custom skin that Asus puts on their tablets, and a locked bootloader makes removing that skin a chore. Would you suggest I wait and "Go Nexus" or is the TF700 worth the investment?

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am a university student and this fall I will be in a program of study that will rely heavily on ebooks, collaborative online documents, and electronic databases, so I am currently in the market for a tablet. I was planning on purchasing a tablet this summer, but with the announcement of the Nexus 7, my plans might have changed. On one hand, I love the idea of a nexus tablet with updates straight from Google and no worries of manufacturer bloatware or update delays, but only having a 7 inch screen is a deal-breaker for me. I really can't justify buying a device with such a small screen when I want to use it to do some on-the-go content creation as opposed to using it exclusively as a consumption device, which the Nexus 7 is designed for.

Right now, it seems that the TF700 is the top of the line 10" Android tablet. I could buy one before school starts in August, but with rumors swirling of a possible 10" Nexus tablet coming out for the holiday season, I am tempted to rough it for a few months until that device drops, if the rumors are true.

So, any owners of the TF700, are there any major drawbacks to the TF700 that I should know about? I've not heard encouraging things about the custom skin that Asus puts on their tablets, and a locked bootloader makes removing that skin a chore. Would you suggest I wait and "Go Nexus" or is the TF700 worth the investment?

The Nexus 10 is only a rumor. I really don't expect one as soon as the Holiday season, I expect new Nexus phones at that time though. Everyone who bought a Nexus 7 might feel like they got ripped off.
Asus' skin is perfectly fine. They barely changed anything from stock Android, and you can of course disable or uninstall any of the applications they install. They're pretty good about keeping it close to stock.
The bootloader will be unlocked, Asus is good about unlocking their devices. They did take about a month or two to unlock the Prime, so you won't get an unlocked device right away.
The only issue I've seen is something that can be fixed with a software update/custom ROM/custom kernel, the I/O speeds are a bit slow. It sounds like a kernel/driver issue that just needs to be resolved.
Also, even an Nexus 10 won't have quite the hardware of the Infinity. The screen probably won't be quite as nice, probably still the lower tier of Tegra 3 like the N7, and they probably wouldn't include a microSD or microHDMI slot.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
+1
I was just going to reply almost the same thing but slightly shorter version. I say slightly shorter since I wasn't aware of the kernel/driver issue. But yeah KillerG is right, these things usually get ironed out, many times without us noticing it much.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Redbird1

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Man, I would definitely get the Infinity. It truly looks like the "mother of all tablets".

1080p, HDMI, SD Slot, 1.6 GHz Tegra 3? Those 4 factors alone make it worth the $$.

Actually, $499 for a 32GB for this bad boy seems like a good deal to me. Think about it, Toshiba has the 7.7" Excite for that much, and the Xyboard is well, Xyboring.

I'm still waiting for them to be available locally. The Infinity is the 1st 10" tablet that I'm actually excited about.

Please keep in mind that I've only had significant experience with the iPad and BB Playbook, so I've been deprived.

Sent using Tapatalk

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If the nexus 10 were to come out this year I'd probably go for that only if it had a 1080p display and a faster processor. It'll probably be made by asus or Samsung anyways so I'm thinking either tegra 3 or quad exynos

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pucrepeap

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to see the two machines head to head, but I can't wait for a Nexus 10. I'm always waiting for the next big thing. But it gets me no where.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome