DIVX (.avi) Movie Player App Recommendation Needed

CruisingWriter

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a LOT of DIVX (.avi) movies that I would like to watch on my new Asus Transformer Prime. What is the best app to use to view these sorts of video files. I would like one that works smoothly, does not require a whole lot of configuration, and preferably does not contain ads. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

BeverageNinja

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I personally use BSPlayer. I tried the free version to test it out and it played everything I tossed at it. Large 8GB mkv files, avi, mp4, m2ts and so on. The free version has ads, but only when you're in the directory tree, so it's not that obtrusive. I liked it so much I bought the full version. BSPlayer has touch controls to fast forward, increase brightness and volume and so on, and at first I didn't care for them, especially seek. However, I just recently learned that the default seek time, when using swipe gestures, is set to 60 seconds. Now that I've changed that to 5 seconds it made the swipe seeking gestures and the onscreen seek controls far more useful. I have noticed that some of my larger movie files with the format .m2ts (which is new to me) will start with 10 minutes on the seek bar. When the seek bar reaches the end it will stop moving, but the movie will continue to play without any problems. I'm guessing this has something to do with how the file was created? Also, very large files will take a few seconds to get up to full speed when you use seek, especially when using an external memory card. This only happens with my larger movies and isn't all that bad. Literally 10 seconds, maybe, of choppy footage and then everything is back to normal. My smaller files like avi and mp4 do not have this issue. My best guess is that this has something to do with the read/write speed of the memory I'm using. All in all I'm very happy with BSPlayer, money well spent if you ask me.

My next suggestion is DICE Player. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it on the forums, and the market place has a free version without ads. I've heard there is an attachment that needs to be added to DICE Player so it can play a specific format, but I'm not sure what that format is. I'm sure someone on here will know. Either way it's free :)

Enjoy your new toy!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

mgullick

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I've read complaints that BS Player will work for a bit and then "check the Internet" and if you don't have an Internet connection it bombs out. Any comment on that?

I'd hate to be an hour into a movie and have the player crash because I'm somewhere I can't connect to the Internet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca