With Flash gone, would you buy a new Transformer?

FlashGoreDone

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I've never been on a tablet before this week, and that was at a BB store where the salesman had to tell me I can't use a mouse on this thing. I noticed the connection was slow, so I wound up doing a Google Play update in the store, and a few other updates; I got a little impatient so I went to a speedtest site and it refused to work because I didn't have flash, so I tried to install flash but that failed because of Adobe's abandonment of the Android market. I never did find out the actual speed of the connection. I did watch a couple YouTube videos that appeared to be in HD; on my home computer, YouTube gives me the worst bandwidth available, 68 KB/s, on a 1.3MB/s connection after throttling; I didn't look for a NetMeter App in Google Play unfortunately. I've gotta say, I need headphones to listen to this, or make some kind of curved plastic spacer underneath the Infinity so the sound bounces forward instead of having to curve my hand over the speaker to direct the sound up towards my ears. Bouncing the sound off a table top is not very good either.

Anyway, it looks like many webpages will either have to become apps or remain useless because of the lack of flash. I've read an article or two on how to install flash since the Aug. 15th date, but I don't know if that would work on a new Android device, especially with Jellybean being released this weekend. I was about to order, but Jellybean is crashing some peoples' tablets and the update has been delayed. I hate to wait a month for that disaster to sort itself out.

I looked at 3 Asus Wintablets available next month, the closest is the TF600T - Asus Vivo Tab RT for a similar price, but without more specs, I think the Infinity is the winner.

I've already bought a Logitech Blue Tooth keyboard for Android for $70 at BB because it seemed to fit my hands much better than the cramped Asus keyboard; and I've bought a couple stylus pens for $20. So I am still gungho on this Infinity but this flash crap has got me seriously bummed out and may kill my purchasing decision. BB didn't have the 64 GB tablet in the store but said I could have it shipped to the store for pickup and get free shipping. It's 70 miles round trip to the store so I have to figure if that is worth the gas money vs. paying shipping.

FlashGoreDone

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any secondary Android devices, so copying a file from one Android device to another is out, unless Windows XP on a Wi-Fi router counts. Re: Flash

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about flash for 2 reasons.

1. Adobe isn't going to support flash like they used to and will more than likely phase out flash and developed more HTML5 software.
2. Most of the websites using flash are quickly switching over to HTML5 so over time flash will become a thing of the past.

Besides if you really need a flash player there is an app on the play store that is a flash player app.

ItsMeMandi

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but ipads had never had flash and they've gotten by just fine.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

foxy1seven

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Still try'n 2 figure out my issue with the flash. I just got the Asus TF700 yesterday. I was go'n 2 order the 64GB, but the sales person, advised me that I could go with the cheaper 32GB & just put a 64GB micro sd in it 2 update the memory. (He also advised me that it could take a 128GB micro sd, they didn't have that in store.) I opted 4 the aformentioned . I have my 32GB & my 64GB micro sd. I put about 85 movies on the 64GB micro sd. Just try'n 2 figure out about the flash went 2 the play store & did the HD player not sure Y, but if anybody culd suggest a Flash player or the best alternative 4 the ASUS TF700? I thank you 4 your time and effort. Have a wonderful day.

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It has a touchscreen and (if you have the keyboard) a trackpad, why do you need a mouse? Also, you may be able to attach a mouse to the keyboard's USB port.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It has a touchscreen and (if you have the keyboard) a trackpad, why do you need a mouse? Also, you may be able to attach a mouse to the keyboard's USB port.

I've attached a wireless mouse to the keyboard (direct into the USB & with a hub) and it works fine.

Dave

uofmike

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
FYI, while you can just load a flash.apk on there, but after updating, I still have my flash in my apps and it worked when I watched a stream of MNF on Monday.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Mandi is right and iPad browser is on the top of the food chain when it comes to HTML 5 processes.

I side loaded flash as explained on XDA but it still doesn't work in Chrome. Is there a setting I need to change to make it work?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I side loaded flash as explained on XDA but it still doesn't work in Chrome. Is there a setting I need to change to make it work?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

I don't believe it works with Chrome at all any longer - same with Dolphin. I'm now using the Boat Browser which still works with Flash.

Last edited:

illdini

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a 64 GB Sandisk card, formatted NTFS. My Transformer read/writes it just fine.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

woodsonmh

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Still try'n 2 figure out my issue with the flash. I just got the Asus TF700 yesterday. I was go'n 2 order the 64GB, but the sales person, advised me that I could go with the cheaper 32GB & just put a 64GB micro sd in it 2 update the memory. (He also advised me that it could take a 128GB micro sd, they didn't have that in store.) I opted 4 the aformentioned . I have my 32GB & my 64GB micro sd. I put about 85 movies on the 64GB micro sd. Just try'n 2 figure out about the flash went 2 the play store & did the HD player not sure Y, but if anybody culd suggest a Flash player or the best alternative 4 the ASUS TF700? I thank you 4 your time and effort. Have a wonderful day.

You only need flash for internet, not for watching movies on sd card. I use mx player, player that came with tablet should work fine. Chrome will not support flash. Stock browser does. Do a search and you should find flash. Search android flash apk download. Its out there. Ipad doesn't support flash.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, if I were in the market for a tablet right now I would wait two more weeks and see how I liked the Microsoft Surface that will launch on the 29th. It's supposed to be pretty reasonably priced, allegedly low enough that people "won't consider 7-inch tablets", so possibly as low as $299 (though $399 seems more likely).

EDIT:

Pricing for Surface was just announced, and it starts at $499 for a 32GB model, or $599 if you want a "touch" keyboard included, or $699 for a 64GB model w/ "touch keyboard".

Basically it looks like TF700 pricing with a lower resolution screen, smaller app market, and a keyboard that doesn't double battery life. It's still very intriguing simply because it's a new platform, but I think I'd wait a few weeks to see if they drop the price a bit.

Last edited:

KMyers

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, if I were in the market for a tablet right now I would wait two more weeks and see how I liked the Microsoft Surface that will launch on the 29th. It's supposed to be pretty reasonably priced, allegedly low enough that people "won't consider 7-inch tablets", so possibly as low as $299 (though $399 seems more likely).

EDIT:

Pricing for Surface was just announced, and it starts at $499 for a 32GB model, or $599 if you want a "touch" keyboard included, or $699 for a 64GB model w/ "touch keyboard".

Basically it looks like TF700 pricing with a lower resolution screen, smaller app market, and a keyboard that doesn't double battery life. It's still very intriguing simply because it's a new platform, but I think I'd wait a few weeks to see if they drop the price a bit.

To be honest, I would not compare the Surface to the Transformer in any way (aside from the fact that neither will officially support Flash). Windows RT is little more then an upgraded version of Windows Mobile 7.5. It is NOT a PC. I am also not a fan of the closed excosystem, which actually makes Windows RT similar to iOS then Android.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair