New firmware 10.4.4.25

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just checked; my tablet did not find an update.

I hope the update makes Chrome & the default browser less laggy. Please let us know.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just checked; my tablet did not find an update.

I hope the update makes Chrome & the default browser less laggy. Please let us know.

I got that update about a month ago and - sorry - it doesn't improve the browser performance. At least not by much...
I finally got so fed up, especially after reading over and over what this tablet is capable of with a custom ROM over on the XDA forum, that I took the plunge, waved the warranty good bye, unlocked and flashed CleanROM Inheritance.
Best decision I made since I bought this baby. The difference is just un**** believable!
The TF700 on stock ROM is like a Porsche forced to run on 4 cylinders and never above 2nd gear. Sad - but true.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
unlocked and flashed CleanROM Inheritance.
Best decision I made since I bought this baby. The difference is just un**** believable!

Thank you for the recommendation! I will give that ROM a serious look. Would you mind linking us to the root method you used for your TF700T? Hopefully, it's something safe.

Thank you again!

Edit: XDA link. YouTube video.

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
berndlb,

do you use a keyboard dock with your Transformer? i just want to make sure the dock works without any problems with that ROM.

thank you!

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
berndlb,

do you use a keyboard dock with your Transformer? i just want to make sure the dock works without any problems with that ROM.

thank you!

Yes! Very good. You found the developers thread and the YouTube video by saugstauber also is very helpful.
Check out these threads too:
[How-To] All-In-One Guide For Asus Infinity (TF700) [21/10/2012] - xda-developers
[ROM][8 Feb]★★CleanROM Inheritance 3.2.2 | JB 10.4.4.25 | ODEX/DEODEX | New Kernels★★ - xda-developers

Yes, I use the keyboard a lot and for me everything works without a hitch or problem.
If you read through these threads on XDA you will find lots of posts where people did run into problems, but IMHO, formed by following these threads religiously for a month or so, you can avoid 99.9% of all the pitfalls by doing your homework.
sbdag's (the developer of CleanRom Inheritance or CROMI) thread is now 251 pages long. Read all or most of it! Seriously! Read, read, read, and when you think you got it, read again.
The all-in-one guide I linked to above is a little more manageable and probably has the most comprehensive step-by-step instructions anywhere.

I read for about 2 weeks, planned this like a campaign or kitchen renovation and did not touch anything until I felt confident that I had internalized every single step.
After all that I was almost embarrassed how easy the actual process turned out to be. The thing is: It's safe and easy if you know what you are doing.

Believe me! I was very nervous and hesitant going this route! I have a fairly good understanding of technical stuff, enjoy playing around with my smartphone etc, but I'm not a hacker and only have a general understanding of things Android. Although - I know a whole lot more now than a few weeks ago.;)

What confused me when I read the threads, watched the video, followed recommended links from each: saugstaubers method is just a little different from the one described in the All-In-One guide, and if you keep reading, you may find instructions again just a little different than you have read before. Takes a while to sort that out.

Hoping it will save you some time, here's a summary of what I have learned, BUT YOU HAVE TO RESEARCH EACH STEP YOURSELF!

You have to be on JB 4.1.1 with the latest firmware 10.4.4.25
You do not need to root your tablet because CROMI comes rooted out of the box so to speak.
Get your "tools" together. You need
The Unlock Tool from Asus (described and linked in the All-In-One)
An ADB tool to "push" a custom recovery to your tablet through USB
The recovery: Either TWRP or ClockworkMod recovery. Most people seem to prefer TWRP (I do) because it's easier to use. If you go for TWRP make sure you get version 2.3.1 or 2.3.3, NOT the latest versions (2.4...), those seem to be buggy. I have 2.3.1 and it works great
CleanROM Inheritance 3.2.2, the latest and greatest version of this incredible ROM. You'll have to choose between the ODEX or DEODEX versions and there's a whole discussion on that in one of the two threads. As far as I can tell it does not matter which one you flash. The ODEX may be just a tiny bit faster, a tiny bit stabler than the DEODEX, but either will make you a much happier TF700 owner :D

The ROM itself is safe IMO. sbdags basically did Asus' job by taking the Asus stock rom and polishing and improving it. CROMI is how the stock rom SHOULD have been.
One more thing: A major reason I decided to go with CROMI is that it's possibly the best supported ROM out there. sbdags is on that forum ALL THE TIME and he gets supported by a few quality people with a seemingly unlimited supply of patience to answer questions and sort out problems.
If I can help out any more, ask away.

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Fabulous post, berndlb! Thank you for the insight.

The only thing holding me back is the idea that ASUS may make significant improvements in their release of JB 4.2. So, I'm wondering if I ought to wait, give ASUS a chance to fix this; then, root if ASUS screws up again.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

The only thing holding me back is the idea that ASUS may make significant improvements in their release of JB 4.2. So, I'm wondering if I ought to wait, give ASUS a chance to fix this; then, root if ASUS screws up again.

+1

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
The only thing holding me back is the idea that ASUS may make significant improvements in their release of JB 4.2.

Has Asus even announced that they'll push JB 4.2?

If they do, I hope they'll do split screen like the Galaxy Note 2 which runs 4.2.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Has Asus even announced that they'll push JB 4.2?

If they do, I hope they'll do split screen like the Galaxy Note 2 which runs 4.2.

At this point, not officially. But, ASUS is not HTC (fortunately!). I would be surprised if their highest level Transformer didn't get the update.

Whether it will be worth the wait, that's anyone's guess.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I hear you TBolt. But at this point I am glad that I cannot receive OTA updates from Asus anymore. I don't want them to screw up my beautiful tablet! ;)
If you have an hour to kill check out the Nexus 7 forum and read about their experience with the 4.2 update. Not very encouraging.
I rather wait until the devs get their hands on 4.2 and clean it up just as they did with 4.1 and every other release of Android. sbdags already seems to be monkeying around with the 4.2 for Nexus 10, trying to port it to our tablet. So that is just a matter of time....

In the meantime I am so happy with what I got here, that I was reluctant to even flash the latest version of CleanROM. Did it anyway and now I'm even happier!

But I definitely don't want to talk you into anything. Your strategy is good. Wait for the release of 4.2 and make the decision then.
That gives you plenty of time to read up on the how-to of flashing a new rom, which btw is different from rooting your device. Root is better than non-root because you can install apps that will improve the tablet's performance (like Browser2Ram), but you're still on the stock rom.

Last edited:

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
berndlb,

before you rooted, did you ever notice the line that momentarily flashes across the screen when using either the stock browser or Chrome? if so, does your tablet still have that problem (minor annoyance really) now that you're rooted?

i likely won't wait for ASUS to update -- every time I fire up my web browser & see the lagging (or, when the tablet stops responding in Supernote), i grow more tired of the lag.

actually, how about lag in the browser & in Supernote ... do you experience any of that now that you're rooted?

thank you! :)

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
berndlb,

before you rooted, did you ever notice the line that momentarily flashes across the screen when using either the stock browser or Chrome? if so, does your tablet still have that problem (minor annoyance really) now that you're rooted?

i likely won't wait for ASUS to update -- every time I fire up my web browser & see the lagging (or, when the tablet stops responding in Supernote), i grow more tired of the lag.

actually, how about lag in the browser & in Supernote ... do you experience any of that now that you're rooted?

thank you! :)

The flashing line is very likely hardware related - at least as far as I could pin this down so far. Something to do with the nvidia chip - I'm not sure. But yes, I still have that even after flashing a custom rom. Which is not surprising, since CROMI is basically an improved version of the original rom - it cannot improve the hardware in this tab.
But I agree, that's very minor. I hardly notice it anymore.

As for lag in the browser: Non-existing!!! In stock or Chrome.
The first time I fired up the browser after flashing the new rom - and I went straight to a web page heavily loaded with pics and flash - I just laughed out loud. The difference is unbelievable....
I do not use Supernote since I installed 7Note - can't tell you anything there. But since everything is faster and snappier: opening apps, switching between them, I would be very surprised if that didn't improve too.

No offense intended, my friend, but I think you have a lot of reading to do. You keep referring to me as "being rooted". I am rooted BECAUSE I flashed (installed) a custom ROM.
The improvement in performance is not because of gaining root, it's because I installed a different operating system (custom ROM).
To gain root is fairly easy, REVERSIBLE, and you do not automatically loose your warranty. It enables you to install apps like Browser2Ram which most likely would also improve your browser performance. If that's what you are after, maybe you want to just root your device.

To install a custom rom, you have to unlock the bootloader, and that voids your warranty forever. Basically: As long as the bootloader is locked you can count on Asus for help with problems. Once you unlock it, you're on you own and rely on advice and help from the forums. There is no way to re-lock the bootloader. Meaning: There is no way back!

Just today I read a thread of someone who unlocked the bootloader just for the heck of it, never even flashed a custom rom, and then tried to do a factory reset which you should not attempt unlocked. With a few more complications thrown in that guy sold his Transformer for parts - he bricked it. Do not let that happen to you!

Do your homework! Ask if you're not sure!
But still - it's worth it.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
lol. In every conversation I've had over the last several years, 'being rooted' is generally accepted for easy conversation -- everyone understanding that your device is no longer stock at some level. Yes, we could nit-pick (no offense meant, either) about the exact state of your hacking (unlocked, rooted, flashed), but that makes this conversation more convoluted, imho. I appreciate your detailed responses; so, I had no reason to say anything. ;)

Thinking back to my DInc days, we had to unlock, root, backup if you were smart; then, finally flash. I understand that the dev of CleanROM took care of one of the steps for you -- convenient.

I am a bit disappointed that the line flashing across the screen isn't fixed. Before I roo... ahem... unlock & flash CleanROM, I am going to contact ASUS and see what they're solution to the flashing screen is. Maybe they'll offer to replace the tablet with a later production unit with the conflict resolved.

Thanks again, bud. :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Oh, berndlb, I forgot to ask ... which kernel & DPI setting did you choose while flashing CleanROM? Have you experimented with other options?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh, berndlb, I forgot to ask ... which kernel & DPI setting did you choose while flashing CleanROM? Have you experimented with other options?

I have not experimented much. I am still careful - mindful that there is always a 1% chance of some unexpected problem. Some may call me timid :)
I chose _that stock kernel and 240 dpi and did disable fsync on the latest flash. Don't know if it was disabling fsync or the latest version of CROMI, but the tab seems even smoother now.
Some apps, Asus Library for example need 240 dpi to function properly. I try to avoid conflicts, so I stay as close to stock as I can.

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
lol.

I am a bit disappointed that the line flashing across the screen isn't fixed. Before I roo... ahem... unlock & flash CleanROM, I am going to contact ASUS and see what they're solution to the flashing screen is. Maybe they'll offer to replace the tablet with a later production unit with the conflict resolved.

Well as it happens, this just came up in the CROMI thread, page 254
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2049274

If you find an explanation, do let me know.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
lol. In every conversation I've had over the last several years, 'being rooted' is generally accepted for easy conversation -- everyone understanding that your device is no longer stock at some level. Yes, we could nit-pick (no offense meant, either) about the exact state of your hacking (unlocked, rooted, flashed), but that makes this conversation more convoluted, imho. I appreciate your detailed responses; so, I had no reason to say anything. ;)

Thinking back to my DInc days, we had to unlock, root, backup if you were smart; then, finally flash. I understand that the dev of CleanROM took care of one of the steps for you -- convenient.

I hope you don't take me for a stickler now (although I probably am) :eek: Didn't mean to sound condescending!
I'm just thinking of my early days when I started to browse the forums, trying to understand the lingo, and was endlessly confused because some people called X=X, others called X=Y, and just when I thought I understood something, another post made me question that again. Just trying to be precise....:)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I hope you don't take me for a stickler now (although I probably am) :eek: Didn't mean to sound condescending!
I'm just thinking of my early days when I started to browse the forums, trying to understand the lingo, and was endlessly confused because some people called X=X, others called X=Y, and just when I thought I understood something, another post made me question that again. Just trying to be precise....:)

O no ... we're cool, bud. :) I know that, some day, this thread will appear in a Google search, and your detailed answers will be helping someone out big time (including me and other lurkers here).

If you were refering to the question / post by 'butcherbird', that's actually me. The handle (TBolt) I've used for 10 years was taken.

The lag is killing me this AM. This week ... I'm doing something. Custom ROM or exchange for NEXUS 10 Correction: eligible for exchange only & Office Depot only has the Sammy GNote in 32GB. Just gotta do something.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown