New firmware 10.4.4.25

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
O no ... we're cool, bud. :) I know that, some day, this thread will appear in a Google search, and your detailed answers will be helping someone out big time (including me and other lurkers here).

If you were refering to the question / post by 'butcherbird', that's actually me. The handle (TBolt) I've used for 10 years was taken.

The lag is killing me this AM. This week ... I'm doing something. Custom ROM or exchange for NEXUS 10 Correction: eligible for exchange only & Office Depot only has the Sammy GNote in 32GB. Just gotta do something.

A friend of mine has a Nexus 10 and he's jealous of my TF700 now :p
And think about the storage you get on this baby! 64gb micro, 64gb SD, connect an external hard drive via USB - man, you never run out of storage!
Don't know much about the Sammy so I don't know how to discourage you from trading in :what:
But I don't think I have to anyway. Saw your post on XDA. 98%? Good enough, Go for it!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
A friend of mine has a Nexus 10 and he's jealous of my TF700 now :p
And think about the storage you get on this baby! 64gb micro, 64gb SD, connect an external hard drive via USB - man, you never run out of storage!
Don't know much about the Sammy so I don't know how to discourage you from trading in :what:
But I don't think I have to anyway. Saw your post on XDA. 98%? Good enough, Go for it!

The form factor is what pushed me towards this, my 2nd Transformer. It is a solid netbook with the keyboard dock - more stable than other tablets with keyboard cases, IMO.

You don't have problems installing new apps from the Play store, do you?

:)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The form factor is what pushed me towards this, my 2nd Transformer. It is a solid netbook with the keyboard dock - more stable than other tablets with keyboard cases, IMO.

You don't have problems installing new apps from the Play store, do you?

:)

We've effectively turned this thread into our private chat room, haven't we? :)

I just flashed CROMI 3.3 and have been testing the basic things: keyboard, SD, micro, USB, HDMI.... so far everything is hunky dory. No problems with Play Store either, just downloaded the Fandango tablet app - nice!
This time I did not disable fsync and cannot say that I notice a decrease in speed at all, so I think I will leave it enabled for the time being...

But the flashing line is still there - no change. Watched that galaxy note vs Tansformer review you mentioned. Looks good too! And the permanent lines on the TF700 are downright scary.
Really liked the option of running some apps side by side. I'm using a couple of floating apps, HoverNote and floating browser, but somehow they always get in the way since you cannot resize the "window" the main app is running in.
Getting closer to a decision?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Tbolt, just stumbled on this thread where buhohitr practically takes someone by the hand and walks him through the process.
Only thing he forgot to tell him was to make a backup of the stock system in TWRP before flashing the new ROM :)

starts on page 4 but the OP is not bad either, if a little confusing....

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2018803

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Sweet ... Thank you, berndblb! I will come back to it on Friday. Am halfway through the 2 busiest days of my week - just dead exhausted. ZzzZzzzZz

Today was the last day I could exchange my tablet; I let it go in favor of keeping the TF700.

Thank you for your report on 3.3! I am glad it's a good upgrade.

Our threads in the Rezound forum often become chat sessions - normal stuff for me. hehehe

I'll be in touch soon. Good night, bud! Thanks again. :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, bud ... finished the CleanROM install this evening. :) I stuck with all the stock options.

Chrome is much smoother. My Handrite Free app crashed. Gmail closed (but did not crash) once. So, there is some work to do.

To perform a factory reset, would you prefer to boot into TWRP > Wipe > Factory Reset? Or, would you go with the option in Android settings? I will ask on XDA if we're not sure.

Before long, I'm sure I'll be very, very pleased with the change.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Well, bud ... finished the CleanROM install this evening. :) I stuck with all the stock options.

Chrome is much smoother. My Handrite Free app crashed. Gmail closed (but did not crash) once. So, there is some work to do.

To perform a factory reset, would you prefer to boot into TWRP > Wipe > Factory Reset? Or, would you go with the option in Android settings? I will ask on XDA if we're not sure.

Before long, I'm sure I'll be very, very pleased with the change.

Keep us posted about absence of lag. I'm interested in knowing how different it is :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Well congrats TBird!
Did you make a backup of your stock system in TWRP before you flashed CROMI?
I mean, if you want to go back that's the way to go. Or download the 4.1 from Asus and flash that.
What options did you choose in Aroma? Kernel, dpi?
If this flash is not working out for you, maybe try another with slightly different settings/components?

I am not sure what you actually wipe if you do "wipe data". Just the system partition? The whole internal storage?
If at all, I would use TWRP to wipe. I have read bad things about people trying the system restore from Settings>Backup & restore after installing a custom rom.
Probably better to ask the fine folks at xda.

Let me know what you learn! Actually, I probably see it anyway since I subscribed to all the CROMI threads. :)

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Keep us posted about absence of lag. I'm interested in knowing how different it is :)

Will do! I need til Sunday afternoon to really test a bunch of things. However, my first impression is that the ROM certainly is smooth. When I was stock, I could hardly use Chrome - it stuttered and paused often (especially on graphic intensive sites, like theverge.com). Now, I breezed through The Verge using Chrome.

Handrite Free was laggy, though. In fact, it crashed. I reported the crash to the dev. ASUS's Supernote is now very smooth so far, though.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Well congrats TBird!
Did you make a backup of your stock system in TWRP before you flashed CROMI?
I mean, if you want to go back that's the way to go. Or download the 4.1 from Asus and flash that.
What options did you choose in Aroma? Kernel, dpi?
If this flash is not working out for you, maybe try another with slightly different settings/components?

I am not sure what you actually wipe if you do "wipe data". Just the system partition? The whole internal storage?
If at all, I would use TWRP to wipe. I have read bad things about people trying the system restore from Settings>Backup & restore after installing a custom rom.
Probably better to ask the fine folks at xda.

Let me know what you learn! Actually, I probably see it anyway since I subscribed to all the CROMI threads. :)

(cough) who's TBird? (cough) ;)

Yes, I have a backup, but I don't want to go back.

I chose:
  • TF700 ASUS stock kernel
  • US Build 240 DPI (stock)
  • Stock launcher (ASUS)
  • Pretty much every app, understanding that I could disable anything I end up not wanting

I will ask on XDA about the best factory reset option.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
(cough) who's TBird? (cough) ;)

Yes, I have a backup, but I don't want to go back.

I chose:
  • TF700 ASUS stock kernel
  • US Build 240 DPI (stock)
  • Stock launcher (ASUS)
  • Pretty much every app, understanding that I could disable anything I end up not wanting

I will ask on XDA about the best factory reset option.

Interesting, now that I see you chose Asus launcher, I'm more interested in knowing if the device's I/O behave same as before root or better now that it's rooted. In other words, I hate how the tab is just unfunctional when emails come in or when apps are updating... Does that still exist while being rooted still with Asus launcher?

I like how asus's launcher is setup, and know there are others to choose from too which is great, just curious if it's their launcher being the cause of lag.
Now that my HTC thunderbolt is on an aosp ics rom, so much smoother and no noticeable lag like htc's and Verizon's stock ics rom with htc's Sense.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, now that I see you chose Asus launcher, I'm more interested in knowing if the device's I/O behave same as before root or better now that it's rooted. In other words, I hate how the tab is just unfunctional when emails come in or when apps are updating... Does that still exist while being rooted still with Asus launcher?

I like how asus's launcher is setup, and know there are others to choose from too which is great, just curious if it's their launcher being the cause of lag.
Now that my HTC thunderbolt is on an aosp ics rom, so much smoother and no noticeable lag like htc's and Verizon's stock ics rom with htc's Sense.

When I flashed the first custom ROM (Cromi 3.2.1) I stuck with the stock launcher and still had major performance improvement - literally everywhere, no lag anywhere.
A couple of days ago I flashed Cromi 3.3 and went with the ADW launcher. I cannot tell a difference in performance. The tab still runs perfectly.

I was on this thing today for at least 5 hours straight (sports injury, confined to the couch), customizing the hell out of my home screens: Downloaded and installed a theme for the ADW launcher, changed icons, got MultiPicture Wallpaper and set a different background with custom settings for each of my 5 home screens, got another app to create custom icons and fooled around with FolderOrganizer on top of it.
In between I surfed the web, went back and forth to Gmail, Tapatalk, Twitter - you name it.
There was not a single hickup, no lag, no stutter, no nothing.
And I was WAITING for it, expecting it really, because this is probably the heaviest use I have ever subjected my TF700 to.
I love this thing!

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
When you flashed 3.3, which kernel & DPI did you choose?

_that stock and 240 dpi. I am kind of tempted to try 213 dpi...
I've been endlessly fiddling with my home screens and curious what that would do....

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Do you know what higher or lower dpi actually looks like?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
When I flashed the first custom ROM (Cromi 3.2.1) I stuck with the stock launcher and still had major performance improvement - literally everywhere, no lag anywhere.
A couple of days ago I flashed Cromi 3.3 and went with the ADW launcher. I cannot tell a difference in performance. The tab still runs perfectly.

I was on this thing today for at least 5 hours straight (sports injury, confined to the couch), customizing the hell out of my home screens: Downloaded and installed a theme for the ADW launcher, changed icons, got MultiPicture Wallpaper and set a different background with custom settings for each of my 5 home screens, got another app to create custom icons and fooled around with FolderOrganizer on top of it.
In between I surfed the web, went back and forth to Gmail, Tapatalk, Twitter - you name it.
There was not a single hickup, no lag, no stutter, no nothing.
And I was WAITING for it, expecting it really, because this is probably the heaviest use I have ever subjected my TF700 to.
I love this thing!

Thank you for the detailed feedback, much appreciated!

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

The keyboard works great. I plugged in a USB stick and opened a document from that USB storage using Kingsoft Office -- left the document open & USB stick plugged in. Went into Supernote, which used to be laggy as hell when stock, and blasted myself with 4 emails in rapid-fire fashion. I was typing gibberish into Supernote while all the emails came in. No lag while typing in Supernote.

Last night, I think I just needed to activate some things that were pending. A couple of apps had yet to ask for Super User access; AdAway hadn't been fully activated, etc. I think some of last night's lag was caused by some of that stuff.

Also last night, I rebooted 3 times. The first 2 times, I was greeted with a message similar to: "Asus weather has stopped." After activating/updating AdAway & granting Super User access to (whatever it was), I did not receive the weather error. All seems very, very well this A.M.

Still no response from anyone on XDA about which factory reset procedure to use. Will ask elsewhere.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The keyboard works great. I plugged in a USB stick and opened a document from that USB storage using Kingsoft Office -- left the document open & USB stick plugged in. Went into Supernote, which used to be laggy as hell when stock, and blasted myself with 4 emails in rapid-fire fashion. I was typing gibberish into Supernote while all the emails came in. No lag while typing in Supernote.

Last night, I think I just needed to activate some things that were pending. A couple of apps had yet to ask for Super User access; AdAway hadn't been fully activated, etc. I think some of last night's lag was caused by some of that stuff.

Also last night, I rebooted 3 times. The first 2 times, I was greeted with a message similar to: "Asus weather has stopped." After activating/updating AdAway & granting Super User access to (whatever it was), I did not receive the weather error. All seems very, very well this A.M.

Still no response from anyone on XDA about which factory reset procedure to use. Will ask elsewhere.

Good! I'm glad for you!
After I flashed CRMI 3.3 I left the tab alone for about 30 minutes to let it stabilize. sbdag recommends 10 minutes to let all the background processes settle in. I figure, a little extra time won't hurt. At least not the tablet - it was torture to have to wait that long! :D

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

Well it seems to me that the TWRP 'factory reset' option will accomplish what you are after. Check here: [RECOVERY]TWRP 2.2.2.0 now with USB OTG [2012-08-24] - [VZW] Galaxy Nexus Development - RootzWiki - Page 89
I find it confusing that they call it "Factory Reset" though. Implies to me, that it reverts the tab to the state it was in when it left the factory - ROM and all. But it seems, they mean that you wipe anything you installed after you got it.
The core apps (Asus, Google etc.) seem to be in \system\app, whereas everything you install yourself is in \data\app and that is what TWRP wipes.

Interesting!
The fog is lifting! Slowly but surely......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12