Maybe I Should Have Returned it While I Still Had The Chance

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
When I bought this tablet with the dock a couple of months ago I had a same issue here and there but I still worried about things and of course as soon as my 30 day return window was up I started having even more issues and even though I have a 2 year protection, that I actually added the 2nd year on right before my 30 days were up it still doesn't cover the dock and nothing does which was and still is a big deal to me. Protection plan or not I still can't get my money back now if things don't get any better and continue to have more and more issues.
My browser has always lagged at times but it seems to be getting worse and I downloaded the Firefox App but I don't like the way the bookmarks are set up and still can't figure out how to even get to them. Also, something thats always bugged me is that even with a task killer app it still doesn't clear the notifications on the little window you pull up where the time is. (not sure what that is technically called)
One thing I've had to get used to since I'm not used to Droid is touch keyboard. I have an iPhone and it's so easy to touch and move the curser where I wanted it if I need to add something a sentence or so up from the end but I always had issues getting the curser to work that easily on my Asus but now it has become even worse. The other day I was using it without the dock and it wouldn't go where I needed it a all and would also randomly jump up into sentences I had already written and then I couldn't even get the curser to return back down to the bottom to finish where I left off.
Another problem that really has me worried is while the dock is fully connected to the tablet I will get this big black window that dings and pops up showing the connection between them as if I just attached them together, I happened about 4 times within a few hours and then I noticed that while all this was going on, with it connected to the charging cable that it shows that the dock is at 99% when they had even been disconnected from the charger all day. This makes no sense to me what so ever and worries me since the protection plan doesn't cover the dock if there's a problem with it.
I'm so frustrated and upset because we all know these tablets and docks plus protection plans aren't cheap by any means and I even have issues on typing this post through the app because the pre written "Sent From" information that's at the bottom of this form doesn't move down as I type like it should, instead it says where it is and I can't see what I'm typing when I'm basically typing over it even though when I actually post this form it will show it at the bottom like it's suppose to me.
Does anyone have any comments or suggestions for any of the issues I have been having?
Thanks,
Liz

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
Sorry you have so many problems with your tablet. For the Firefox bookmarks, when you go to a website, if you see the white star icon in the upper right of the page, just tap it and it will add the bookmark, and the star turns black. When you start Firefox, your bookmarks are displayed as screen images of the web pages themselves. Then you tap whichever one you want. To remove a bookmark, select that bookmark and it will go to that page, then tap the star (it will be black now) and it will be removed.

I don't know how to remove the notices unless you tap each one, then close the app/page etc. that it brings up.

I don't what app you were using to type, but I use Polaris Office which came with the tablet. When I'm composing a letter, all I do is to tap the screen wherever I want the cursor to be, and it jumps to that spot. Maybe some other apps work differently so I don't know about those.

As for the dock battery level, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying, but the dock will stay fully charged until the tablet battery gets down to around 75% or less, and then it will start to charge the tablet and that's when the dock battery will start to fall below 99%. I don't know why the notice of being connected keeps popping up though. That could be a problem. The only suggestion is to maybe check that the connection slots are clean of any dust or dirt that may be causing a poor connection? Just a thought.

I hope some of this will help you.

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
A lot of my problems were solved when I unlocked, loaded customer recovery, and loaded CROMI.

Native browser didn't lock up/force close, and navigation was much smoother.

You could try that and see what happens. Be aware, unlocking the device will void the warranty.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
When I was typing and having problems with the curser it was while I was filling out something on a website but no matter where I'm typing just like on here it still gives me issues.
II do know how the battery works as far as charging the tablet I actually wish you could choose where the charge comes from like for example if I'm on my dock then I switch to the tablet then the battery has already been used from the tablet because of how it is set up so it would be nice to be able to have the option to switch that back and forth when needed.
As far as downloading the software that would void my warranty, I've heard great things about doing that but since I don't know Droid that well and with my luck I would mess something up and then be out the warranty along with the money spent on it all. I had jailbroken my iPhone but my ex knew that stuff very well and did it the first time for me and taught me later and the correct way to undo it whenever there was an issue with the phone so thy wouldn't even know it was ever jailbroken but a lot of people thought you just had to reset the factory settings and then their phones just crashed and because it crashed from trying to unjail break it they voided their protection plan and that's the last thing I need.
I understand what you said about Firefox but mine just shows recent viewed pages wen its first opened and I don't know how to make folders and things like that on it like the one that comes on the tablet, which I actually do like but Firefox doesn't lag like the standard one does. Hopefully somewhere down the road an update will fix that.
Ok, and last the menu thing you can pull up from where the clock is, not long after I got my tablet I bought my son a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and at least his has a clear button so you don't have to get rid of them by swiping them off one by one.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about typing on a website. It could be an issue with the website itself and not the tablet. Maybe you could try typing something in Polaris Office and see if the cursor works OK there, then at least you know it's not the tablet.

I don't understand why you would need to chose which battery to use. If you charge them both together (tablet is docked and charger plugged into dock) then they will both go to 100%. Or you could charge them separately if you want to. But anyway, assume you are starting with both the tablet and the dock at 100%. If you turn on the tablet, still connected to the dock, the tablet will run on its own battery until it gets down to about 70-75%, and then the dock will start to charge the tablet. If you need to use the tablet alone, it will still have maximum charge. I think this is the design because you can use the tablet alone if you need to, but not the dock alone, so it makes sense to me to keep the tablet charged and let the battery in the dock discharge before the tablet does.

I agree about having a 'clear' button to clear all those messages. That would be a nice thing to have!

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to mention this but you can just swipe those notices off left or right to get rid of them. Also, in the settings menu there is a setting for Asus Quick Settings that you can enable/disable.

Hope some of this helps you.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
First off I think you misunderstood what I meant about my opinion on how the tablet charges but either way they should both be at 100% if it's docked and plugged in. Let me see if I can explain this a little better.. I wish you should choose which it should charge from depending on what you're doing. To me it kind of sucks that if you're using your dock and it uses your tablet battery down then you start off with a low battery on the tablet when you disconnect them. It's something it had even though I know why it is set up the way it is.
I know you can swipe the notifications left or right to remove them but a clear button would be nice since not even task killers close those. Also, how can you have a task killer notification pop up saying it's closed 15 things when all you have had open or running is Netflix just watching movies? Always was curious about it.

As far as Swiftkey goes, I tried it because it was pre-downloaded on my tablet and everyone else seem to like it so I tried it and set it up for the free trail of the paid version but I hated even before I had issues with it but it's probably better that way because I wouldn't want to have to pay for it when I love Swype anyways.
It would also be nice to have the same auto correct features for when you're using the actual keyboard on the dock too.

One problem that I've had off and on and have written forms about it already is about my email not working most of the time and I would just use the Gmail app instead but I like the email widget that comes standard.

I have been thinking about the "jail breaking" idea but I have no clue what I'd even be doing. Is it easy to do and undo if needed? What are the drawl backs other than voiding the protection plan? If you undo it when you need to use the protection plan do they have any way to know kind of like how I talked about my iPhone in my first post.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Btw, maybe some have not seen or tried this, but to clear all notifications, you can either swipe each one left/right....

OR... To clear ALL at Once...

Just hit the "X" that is right under the notification menu.

I.E.: Tap on clock in bottom right of screen to bring up notifications, once up, tap on the "X" in the bottom right hand corner (where the clock was).

This is a standard feature integrated into android (I think from ICS), which is same as on phone version but can look different but does same function.

Hope that helps. :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Splitz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I have been thinking about the "jail breaking" idea but I have no clue what I'd even be doing. Is it easy to do and undo if needed? What are the drawl backs other than voiding the protection plan? If you undo it when you need to use the protection plan do they have any way to know kind of like how I talked about my iPhone in my first post.

Check out this thread on xda-developers. There are step by step instructions on how to install the CROMI nearly stock ROM. There's even a youtube video. I used that procedure along with another program to unlock/root my Infinity almost 3 weeks ago.

It isn't difficult, just a few steps. I am technologically inclined, however.

You will keep nearly all programs already installed, but the background running processes are different.

I'm surprised that you're having a problem with the native ASUS native email app, I've been using that app since Day 1 (with the widget) and have had zero problems.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Ya, the app used to work fine. I'd get an email and it would pop up on my phone and tablet at the same time so I don't know why it doesn't anymore since I haven't changed any settings.

Are there more than one type of ways to do it or different types of ROM? It's weird to me to actually have no technical knowledge about this stuff because for the most part I never really need help with anything but I'm not advanced by any means but I don't think I've ever bought anything electronic and not been able to figure it out on my own without any help. I guess this is how my parents feel whenever I talk about anything having to do with a computer or smartphone but they know how to work all they need on the devices so they don't need to know how to use the device to it's full potential. (If any of that makes sense)
So, how easy is it to undo if I needed to take it to have a problem checked out so they won't know about so it wouldn't effect my warranty? I know on my iPhone it really isn't that hard but some people crashed their phones because they didn't know how to un-jail break it.

I'm still nervous about doing it myself. Even the first time my iPhone was jailbroken was because my now ex did it for me because he knew how to do it and then showed me how later when I had to replace my phone.

Last edited:

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! Now I have 2 more issues added to the ones I already had...
First new one is that sometimes my email would actually show up like it's suppose to every once and a while but now it says I have 5 emails when I don't.
The other issues that's been an off and on one is that when I first got my tablet and dock it would always vibrate whenever I connected them and then it would do it sometimes and now not at all.
This is all so frustrating and I have no clue what to do.

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I was wrong there are 4 new problems! The 2 I just posted about and now it won't let me edit my post when I found a 3rd issue I was going to add..
My volume button isn't working right. Before It gave me issues about turning it down and it switching to vibrate and now when I go to turn it back up it won't come off vibrate and just vibrates every time I touch it and when the volume box pops up it wont even let me change it that way!

XTERM1NADOR

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I returned mine just within my window, I'm so glad I did. I exchanged it for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 and the difference is like night and day . Everything on the note runs buttery smooth.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The day I added the extra year onto my warranty I bought my son the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" even though he wanted the Kindle he hugged me so much for me getting that one instead because he loves it so much. I bought the kindle and hated it and returned it before he even knew anything i thought it was pretty cool and since he liked mine I knew he would enjoy that one more plus overall it's much better for an 8 year old than a Kindle.
The reason I wanted a tablet like this was because of the keyboard dock since I wanted the laptop feel but didn't really want another windows device.
Hopefully they will have updates to fix everything since I'm trying to stay hopeful because this was what I really wanted and all of the other dock tablets that are out that I know of are windows. Have to hope for the best since I spent a lot of money that I can't get back and bought this also to help with starting my own business.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Awesome! Now I have 2 more issues added to the ones I already had...
First new one is that sometimes my email would actually show up like it's suppose to every once and a while but now it says I have 5 emails when I don't.
The other issues that's been an off and on one is that when I first got my tablet and dock it would always vibrate whenever I connected them and then it would do it sometimes and now not at all.
This is all so frustrating and I have no clue what to do.

To answer some of your open questions:

The process of rooting this tablet and flashing a custom ROM is fairly complicated and to do it you have to unlock the bootloader which will void your warranty - period. There is no way to undo it.

The reason your task killer says it killed 15 processes when you have only one app open is that it kills background processes which you don't see.
I have the suspicion that the task killer may be one reason for your troubles. IMO task killers mess with the normal procedures of the OS. Android does a very good job of administrating resources. If the tablet needs more RAM, it just closes processes that are not needed at that moment, re-opens them when they are needed. The tablet does not run better on "20% of ram used" than on "80% of ram used", meaning: Just leave it to do what it does very well.

My suggestion to you would be to try a factory reset, see if that clears some or all of your problems, and if not, send the tablet in for a warranty repair.

A factory reset will wipe all the changes you made to it since you took it out of the box (except an OS update if you did that - the system partition stays untouched).
If you got all of the apps you installed yourself from the Play Store, you don't even need to do a backup, you can download them again from the store one by one. Otherwise you can use Asus Backup for sideloaded apps.

Here are the steps:
Make a list of the apps you really like
Backup all your pictures, documents, music etc. you have on the internal SD card to a USB stick or SD/microSD card
Go to "Settings > Backup&reset" and do a factory reset, let it re-boot and do a factory reset twice more. I'm serious: Do 3 factory resets in a row to really, really clean your data partition
Now your tablet is as clean as it was (software-wise) when you bought it
Use the tablet for 3 days without adding any new apps, try it first with the stock apps, set up your email app and see if it works any better now.
Slowly and one by one, with a day or two in between, add your apps from the play store and note if the problems you have now show up again. That will help you identify if and which app may be causing problems.
And leave the task killer for last if you insist on using it!

If all this does not help, call Asus for a warranty repair.
Good luck

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much for all your help and all the great advice. The main reason I buy a protection plan is in case it somehow gets broken since I wouldn't be able to afford to buy another one so too bad there's no way to undo it to avoid then knowing about it if it needs repair. The only reason I downloaded a task killer was because of things I read about what other people had said since I had to download an add blocker and antivirus app too. I think I will start with the task killer first and then see what happens and go from there. Good thing I haven't downloaded a ton of apps so that part wont be hard to deal with.
My protection plan is through Best Buy where I bought my tablet so do I have an Asus warranty too?
Also, what free music download app would you suggest? A lot of people I know use Music Paradise. Oh, and what is your opinion on SwiftKey? I did the trial but I didn't really like it and preferred Swype because also swiftkey seemed like it had issues and some people had commented that you needed a 3rd party app to make it better and also make it were it would switch back and forth between the 2 or something like that so it makes it work best for whatever you are doing and even more so when you have the keyboard dock because it acted weird when my tablet was docked when I shouldn't have even been showing up. So is there a hype about it that I'm just not aware of? I really didn't care about buying it but I was just curious on whether or not I did the settings wrong on it when I did use it since people speak very highly of it.

bill2reg

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
One thought about your problem with the cursor: If you were using the keyboard/dock, try turning off the touchpad. I found that sometimes the palm of my hand was hitting the touchpad while I was typing and it caused the cursor to jump around. To turn it off, press the touchpad key on the keyboard. It's in the top row of keys, fourth key from the left. It looks like a square with a diagonal line through it.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for all your help and all the great advice. The main reason I buy a protection plan is in case it somehow gets broken since I wouldn't be able to afford to buy another one so too bad there's no way to undo it to avoid then knowing about it if it needs repair. The only reason I downloaded a task killer was because of things I read about what other people had said since I had to download an add blocker and antivirus app too. I think I will start with the task killer first and then see what happens and go from there. Good thing I haven't downloaded a ton of apps so that part wont be hard to deal with.
My protection plan is through Best Buy where I bought my tablet so do I have an Asus warranty too?
Also, what free music download app would you suggest? A lot of people I know use Music Paradise. Oh, and what is your opinion on SwiftKey? I did the trial but I didn't really like it and preferred Swype because also swiftkey seemed like it had issues and some people had commented that you needed a 3rd party app to make it better and also make it were it would switch back and forth between the 2 or something like that so it makes it work best for whatever you are doing and even more so when you have the keyboard dock because it acted weird when my tablet was docked when I shouldn't have even been showing up. So is there a hype about it that I'm just not aware of? I really didn't care about buying it but I was just curious on whether or not I did the settings wrong on it when I did use it since people speak very highly of it.

Yes, you have a 1 year manufacturers warranty - that would be Asus. What you bought at Best Buy was probably their extended warranty protection which kicks in after the Asus warranty runs out and gives you another year (maybe two) of warranty protection.

I would be very careful about downloading "free" music, "free" movies and the like. I had a look at Music Paradise and there are two apps in the store with very similar names - both a good example for this genre of apps. First is "Music Download Paradise" which seems to be kind of ok. It has 190,000 reviews and the overwhelming majority of user reviews are positive. But they state quite clearly that they will push ads to your tablet - and probably lots of them. Ads will pop up in their own window, no matter what you are doing at that time, they will clog your notification panel with ads (that's where the clock is) and no ad blocker will stop them, I would venture to guess... That's how they make their money after all. You may get free music, put you pay in annoyance AND you allow them to push content to your tablet! And that is something I would only allow a very trusted source to do.
The other one is "Music Paradise App" and everything about it shouts: Hands off! Only 282 reviews and 69 extremely negative. Probably a copycat app to the other one and I wouldn't touch it with a long stick!
There is no such thing as a free lunch! If you download apps like these, you better have Lookout Security installed which scans apps you download for malware before they install.
Installing "free" music apps is equivalent to going to a very seedy part of town in the middle of the night - you better go prepared....

SwiftKey - I love the app, but that's because I can type in two languages at the same time and Swiftkey gives me word predictions in both languages simultaneously - I don't have to switch between languages. It does work with the dock, but yes, it acts weird. Swiftkey is not made to work with a dock. That it works at all docked is kind of impressive IMO.
Which keyboard you like is personal preference, kind of like the question what your favorite food or drink is...

If you don't have that many apps installed yet, go for the factory reset! Give yourself a fresh start! And install the antivirus, ad-blocker and task killer apps last (if at all).

stuckhere972

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded Music Download Paradise and before that I had pop up ads from other apps with I got rid of. I downloaded the AirPush Detector app and it stopped the adds. I tired alot of different antivirus protectors including Lookout and did the free trail of the full version but I actually like Dr Web Light the best out of about 5 I tried and it scans everyday. I tink out of the free ones it's great because Lookout didn't have everything I wanted in the free version and I can't pay for the full one.
When I first got this tablet and downloaded a few things I wanted I was getting add pull ups in the side bar where the clock is and on my browser and then got on here and got AirPush which works great but then I had people telling me to get an antivirus detector as well and that's when I tried different ones. I had even made the comment that it was weird to me to have to get antivirus and add blockers etc because I except it with Windows but didn't have to do anything like that on my iPhone but I wanted to make sure my tablet was protected and they have to make them for a reason right?
I really do appreciate all your advise because like I have said before I don't know Droid at all but it really means a lot to me that you have taken the time to help me since I don't even have friends that have Droid tablet but my boyfriend has a Droid phone but everyone else I know has Apple or Windows devices so that really can't be much help.
But thanks again for sticking around and I hope you can continue to help me with anymore issues because out of everyone thats replied you do seem to know the most. Since I still don't use my tablet much yet because I'm still working on starting my business restoring it to factory and slowly adding adds back on shouldn't be a problem it's just finding the time to do it and hopefully it fixes everything. Oh, and yes I have the 2 year extra protection though Best Buy but I thought it started as soon as I bought it since it covers everything from even dropping it and having it replaced. So does the "Jailbreak" just void the Asus warranty or do you think it would probably void the other one as well?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1