After 4.2 Update, turns itself on if plugged in

lbryce7

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I am having the strange problem that my tablet (Asus Infinity 700) will turn itself on after about 30 seconds after I turned the screen off (push the off button) if it is plugged to charger. This started happening right after I updated to 4.2. It will do this every 30 seconds as long as it is plugged in. It does not happen if I am on batteries (thank God) or it I have powered it off (where I pushed the off button several seconds, and told it to turn off). I have looked for new settings where I can change this behavior, but I am stumped. Has anybody else had this problem? Is it a bug on 4.2?

Last edited:

michaelp68

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's the same problem, but when I plug mine in to charge, it chimes every 5-10 seconds. It only does this once it's 'off' in sleep mode and when I'm using a second charger I purchased. It doesn't do this on the charger that came with it. Started immediately after the update.

lbryce7

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, sometimes it will also do what you described. I am going to change chargers and see if the problem persists. Maybe it is a charger issue, but I thought it was not only annoying, but very strange after an update where nothing else has changed.

ODJ45

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Here where I work we have about 10 TF700T tablets with keyboard docks. Since the 4.2.1 update, we're experiencing occurrences of our tablets powering on while fully closed up and in sleep mode. In fact, we power the tablet off with the power button, close it up (keyboard fully against screen), and some time later observe light coming from the tablet. Our tablets literally get hot from being powered on while closed. I can understand single machine glitches, but for all 10 of our tablets to be doing this says there's a problem someplace. I should state the obvious that these tablets were not exhibiting this behavior prior to the 4.2.1 update. Anybody else seeing this?

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Has every body here performed a cold-boot after the update? I actually like to recommend a couple cold-boots, just for good measure.

I believe if you manually turn off the tablet, and plug it in, the tablet will turn on. That is normal behavior. It is possible to turn it off again. You just have to manually do it if you decide to plug it in after you turned it off the first time. It is not a bug and there is no way to change this setting.

As for the chimes, it should not be chiming every 10-15 seconds. The fact that it only does this with the aftermarket charger leads me to believe that it's the charger.

I reported this to ASUS tech support. No solution yet.

ODJ45

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay. After doing the recommended cold reboots I've not had any further occurrances of my tablet screen turning on unexpectedly while it's in sleep mode with the screen closed with the keyboard. I've not had any performance issues either -- things seem to be working fine now.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
What is a cold boot?

Turn your tab completely off. Push and hold Volume Down and Power buttons at the same time for 5 seconds or so, the tab will vibrate twice, let go when you see the tiny script appear.
You will see a screen with 3 symbols. Don't do anything and it'll cold boot by default. Watch the tiny text appear: "Cold booting Linux"

Edit: Haven't been on stock for quite a while :D
Just tried above procedure, if nothing happens being on the screen with 3 symbols (RCK, Android, Wipe), use the Volume Down button to select "Android" and Volume UP to execute. THEN you will see the 'cold booting Linux" message.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
i have nooticed that it could be next to me and it just lights up by itself and its npot charging or anything
Some app or widget is waking up your tablet, probably updating or syncing stuff. You can try Wakelock detector from the store to find the culprit

Devlin Sakey

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
"It's your charger"

No.. This simply isn't good enough. There's a deafening silence on why these OEM chargers are only unacceptable when the tablet tries to sleep.

"A threshold may have changed".. WELL, CHANGE IT BACK THEN!!! The OEM chargers are rated correctly, and charged quickly and correctly prior to 4.2.

I want other OEM options for charging and connectivity, not vendor lock in. I bought Asus precisely to AVOID this kind of predatory Apple-like behaviour. Won't make that mistake again. ASUS will join ABIT if they keep this kind of nonsense up.