Do you think its worth ROOTING/ROMing Now...?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Guy's/Gals.... I just wanted to get your input on whether you think its still worth Rooting & installing a custom ROM on my Infinity 700 now that the 4.2.1 update is installed...?

I have my phone rooted with the Jelly Bean 13 ROM and a nice kernel and its smoking fast, but I wanted to hear if you think it makes a real difference...

Thoughts...?

Thanks

Jaguarr40

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Guy's/Gals.... I just wanted to get your input on whether you think its still worth Rooting & installing a custom ROM on my Infinity 700 now that the 4.2.1 update is installed...?

I have my phone rooted with the Jelly Bean 13 ROM and a nice kernel and its smoking fast, but I wanted to hear if you think it makes a real difference...

Thoughts...?

Thanks

My own personal opinion is that you really have to decide first of all how you are going to use your phone both now and in the future as software updates come out. This has to be a personal choice based on what I mentioned. Whatever you choose best of luck and it certainly is not going to hurt anything. Also as much as many don't care about warranty, I do so therefore my phones stay stock and I am happy.

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't rooted mine yet but thought about it. Can you revert back to factory specs if you root it then later decide to go back or is it a permanent action?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't rooted mine yet but thought about it. Can you revert back to factory specs if you root it then later decide to go back or is it a permanent action?

You can reverse root with no problem. Also has no consequences in terms of warranty. But root access only does not allow you to install a custom rom on this tab.
You have to unlock the bootloader and that is not reversible and will void your warranty.

I agree with Jaguarr40 - it's a very personal decision. I have been running CleanRom Inheritance for 4 months now and would never go back to stock. I have not tried the 4.2 stock rom but from reading the forums it's still a lot slower and prone to lag than CROMI. And Cromi-X, based on the TF700 4.2 stock, will be released any day now!
What I really like is the option of going to a 4.2 rom and if I don't like it I can just flash a nandroid backup of an older 4.1 based rom.
Being unlocked and running a custom rom gives me many, many options and has turned this tab into a gorgeously fast power machine.
Personally, I'd rather enjoy the full potential of this tablet and then eat the cost if I have a hardware failure that may have been covered by warranty, than putting up with slow loading apps, laggy browser and stutter-scrolling for the life of the tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all very much for your input, under much consideration I've decided to root tablet applied custom ROM. I've done it numerous times in the past with my mobile device however this is my first time to the tablet. The process is very much the same and I'm extremely happy that I decided to do this.

The deciding factor was the laggynesss in the browser. After rooting and the ROM update the tablet is extremely fast and responsive now. Clearly is a 90 percent difference improvement and responsiveness and I would highly suggest anyone thinking about it to do it..

... Sent from my tablet, please excuse any typos...

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all very much for your input, under much consideration I've decided to root tablet applied custom ROM. I've done it numerous times in the past with my mobile device however this is my first time to the tablet. The process is very much the same and I'm extremely happy that I decided to do this.

The deciding factor was the laggynesss in the browser. After rooting and the ROM update the tablet is extremely fast and responsive now. Clearly is a 90 percent difference improvement and responsiveness and I would highly suggest anyone thinking about it to do it..

So what are you running now?

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am now rooted with a custom recovery TWRP and the latest Clean ROM Inheritance and let me just say it made a world of difference to the tablet...

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Apologize for the ignorance, in short, what are the major differences between CROMI and CleanROM?

Which is better in your opinions?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Apologize for the ignorance, in short, what are the major differences between CROMI and CleanROM?

Which is better in your opinions?

No need to apologize....
CleanROM was the first custom ROM based on the stock TF300 and TF700 roms developed by Scott. When he stopped developing, sbdags took over his work and called his roms CleanROM Inheritance or CROMI, for short.
CROMI roms are based on stock 4.1.1 and sbdags will probably release the last version 3.5 (currently 3.4.7) by this weekend. He will not develop it any further since 4.2.1 for the TF300 and TF700 has been released and he's been furiously working on a custom version of those stock roms.
Those, based on stock 4.2., are called CleanROM Inheritance Xenogenesis, or CROMIX or CROMI-X for short. He released the first full version, CROMIX 4.3, a couple of days ago.

They are all great! But only the CROMIX rom will get better with further development. Although - the 4.1. based CROMI is almost perfect. I find myself curiously reluctant to switch to cromix. Nostalgia I guess....
But I also feel kinda left behind with all the other guys and gals moving on... So I'll probably flash it within the next few days. Just waiting for the odex version.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for the breakdown.
Didn't know the history, now I understand the inheritance part too.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
What about the Xenogenesis part? Don't tell me you got that right away, because I had to look it up! :D
Never heard that word before!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
What about the Xenogenesis part? Don't tell me you got that right away, because I had to look it up! :D
Never heard that word before!

:-D
I'll be honest, I know when the time will come I'll have to research it more hehe

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
:-D
I'll be honest, I know when the time will come I'll have to research it more hehe

Xenogenesis: The supposed production of offspring markedly different from either parent.

Nice! But how the hell did he find that????

lovedgor

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I just rooted and unlocked, installed CROMi-x 4.3 and let me say this tablet is awesome. Fast and smooth, like I wanted it. I think it is worth the voided warranty.

Rickgsx

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys/Gals...

I have a quick question that I never thought of until now. I have a rooted Asus TF700 that I'm in the process of selling in a few weeks.

My question is, what is the best way to remove ALL of my applications, (Pictures, email apps, txt, etc..) prior to me selling the device..? My intention is not to unroot the table, but just get it back to the base operating system without any applications.

Want to get your thoughts...? Thank you in advance..

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
i think this could work fine..

you could go into recovery, clear dalvik, cache and data, then reflash the rom fresh

?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using AC Forums mobile app

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
My intention is not to unroot the table, but just get it back to the base operating system without any applications.

trying to understand your question to the fullest...

you are preparing to sell your tablet and:

a) want ALL, EVERY, EACH application gone? (you want the tablet to boot up to a wallpaper - no apps, nothing)

or

b) want to clear/delete all apps that have your data in them, email, contacts, etc, leaving apps that came with the tablet such as calculator, clock, etc

option A, i don't think is at all possible.

option B, i think doing what i posted in my post before this one will take care of that. By reflashing a rom, the person buying your tab will have the opportunity to register/log into the tablet using their gmail, as well as other google services such as play store, calendar etc.
you can even test it out for yourself. go into recovery, clear all 3, then reflash the rom of your choice, then skip the login/registration process, and look around to see if your data is there.

hope that helps.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using AC Forums mobile app

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey Guys/Gals...

I have a quick question that I never thought of until now. I have a rooted Asus TF700 that I'm in the process of selling in a few weeks.

My question is, what is the best way to remove ALL of my applications, (Pictures, email apps, txt, etc..) prior to me selling the device..? My intention is not to unroot the table, but just get it back to the base operating system without any applications.

Want to get your thoughts...? Thank you in advance..

Actually, Green_Laser's advice will only work if you have a custom recovery installed.
In your case (only rooted) a factory reset will accomplish what you are looking for. That wipes your data partition - ergo anything you installed and copied to your tablet.
That option is under Settings > Backup & Restore.
If you have any really sensitive data on your tablet that you do not want to be recoverable even with data recovery tools, you may have to look for a utility that overwrites your data partition with random data after the factory restore.
Check out Full Wipe or Secure Data Destruction from the Play Store. I can't vouch for either - haven't tried them.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance