Tutorial: Flashing a custom ROM on TF700T

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
EDIT FEB 27, 2014
I NO LONGER SUPPORT AND UPDATE THIS THREAD SINCE THE TF700 FORUM HERE IS PRETTY MUCH DEAD. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS TOPIC AND WANT UP-TO-DATE ADVICE AND INSTRUCTIONS FIND MY THREAD HERE:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2688891

I decided to write this tutorial because another user on this forum asked me for help to get a custom ROM on his TF700, and I thought - might as well make it accessible to more than just one person and use this opportunity to summarize how you can flash a custom ROM on this tablet as of now, November 2013.
The information here can be found in many places on the web and forums. But when I started flashing custom ROMs about a year ago, I got frustrated many times because I found that information to be scattered, fragmented and in many cases outdated.

I hope this guide will make it a little easier for those users who wish to unleash the potential of this tablet but have no idea where to start. This is meant to be for inexperienced users who may be flashing for the first time.
If you find information I provide here to be incorrect or outdated, please do chime in!

And the standard disclaimer: I am not responsible if you misunderstand instructions I give here, if my instructions are wrong, if you forget to charge the battery and the tablet dies halfway through a flash, if flaming arrows fall from the sky or your house goes up in flames.
YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

First things first:
Backup everything on your tablet you care about to an external microSD or your PC. Don't worry about your apps. You can always install them from the Play Store.
This is just common sense. It is not inherently risky to flash custom ROMs. I have flashed ROMs many times for a year now, did not know anything about it at the beginning, and yet have to experience my first bootloop. If you are careful this is a safe procedure.

Basically the process of flashing a custom ROM on the TF700 involves three steps:
1) Unlock the bootloader using Asus' Unlock tool
2) Install a custom recovery on the tablet
3) Flash a custom ROM of your choice using said custom recovery​

You may ask: What about rooting?
To install a custom ROM it is not necessary to root the tablet and, at this point, an unnecessary step. Let me elaborate:
It used to be easy to root the TF700 with a tool called Motochopper (which you could use on a locked bootloader). And then you could use another tool, the app GooManager (which required root AND the tablet to be unlocked) to install the custom recovery TWRP on this tablet.
Well, by now most users are probably on firmware version 10.6.1.14.10 (check your stock system under Settings>About Tablet>Build Number) and in their latest update Asus plugged the loophole Motochopper exploited to gain root on this device, and there is currently no known method for rooting without unlocking.

Edit Feb 1, 2014: There seems to be a way to root the .10 firmware without unlocking the bootloader. It's called Kingo Android Root and it seems to work on the TF700, BUT this method is somewhat shady. Read @Swipe's post here: http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41502 and follow the link to the XDA thread. It's still around though: Read post # 424 and onward: ASUS TF700T unlock and root JB 4.2.1 stock - Page 43 - xda-developers
Personally, I would not trust or use this method.

Additionally, since a couple of weeks ago, GooManager does not support flashing recoveries anymore.
You can still root the TF700 by downgrading to 10.6.1.14.8 and use Motochopper to root. But you cannot use GooManager anymore to flash a custom recovery.

Instead you have take a somewhat more elaborate route:
Your tablet should be fully charged at this point

Unlocking the bootloader
  • Make sure "USB debugging" is checked in Settings > Developer Options (if you don't see it, go to About Tablet and tap 7 times on Build Number)
  • Go to Asus website: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support-
  • Select your device, choose "Android" for OS and look for the "Utilities" on the resulting page.
  • Download the Asus Unlock Tool v8 (I assume you are on JB 4.2 firmware)
  • On your tablet, in Settings > Security check "Unknown Sources"
  • Find your Download folder and install the Unlock Tool apk.
  • Open the app and follow the instructions. You will loose your warranty as soon as you click "I agree".

This can be a 5 Minute operation that goes without a hitch or a very frustrating experience with lots of error messages. There is no definite rhyme or reason for this. For some people it works like a charm, for others it works after 15 attempts, for some never.... This problem is widely discussed on several forums. For now I assume it goes ok.
To check if you are unlocked, boot the tablet and read the tiny script. It should say: This device is unlocked.

Installing a custom recovery on your tablet
I highly recommend you choose TWRP as your custom recovery. If you want CWM, you are on your own.

This is the trickiest part of the whole process. To push TWRP to your tablet you need to set up "Fastboot" between your tablet and your PC. Fastboot is a protocol that enables you low level access to your tablet.

Try this:
Power down your tablet and disconnect it from the dock
Push and hold the Volume Down key (left side of the rocker) and the Power key until you feel the tablet vibrate twice. Let go when you see the tiny script. Read it and it tells you that your tablet is now in fastboot mode (I assume again you are on a JB bootloader. In ICS you have to select the USB icon to get into fastboot mode)

Digression: Since we are here....
You are now in the JB bootloader menu where you see 3 icons: RCK, Android, Wipe Data
RCK - (which should be flashing) is your recovery (the stock recovery at this point, but once TWRP is installed this is one way to get into it)
Android - is your system, selecting it boots you back to into your ROM.
Wipe Data - stay away! Especially with custom software installed never, never use this option!
To toggle between the three icons use Volume Down, to select one use Volume Up. Try it but do not push Volume Up when the 'Wipe data' icon is flashing!

Now you need to install fastboot on your PC or Mac. If you have a Linux machine you don't even need fastboot drivers, but on Windows and iOS you need to install software.
For Windows users I recommend the 'Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool': [TOOL]Minimal ADB and Fastboot [7-18-13] - xda-developers
For iOS, check here: [GUIDE] Set up ADB and Fastboot on a Mac easily (With Screenshots!) - xda-developers - and I hope this method works on your machine since I don't have any experience with Apple devices.
Sorry iOS users, the following instructions are for Windows - I do not know how this works on iOS.

Windows users:
  • Install the Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool to your C:\ drive
  • Start the Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool
  • Boot the tablet into fastboot mode and connect it to your computer via the original USB cable
  • In the command window on your PC type:
    Code:
    fastboot devices
  • If that command returns a long alpha numeric string, you are good as gold.
  • If it returns: "No devices found", fastboot is not working - yet - and you have to troubleshoot.

Let's assume everything is good:

• On your computer go here: Techerrata Downloads - Browsing tf700t
  • Download the latest TWRP version, right now TWRP 2.6.3.1 (make sure you DL the version for the TF700!!!)
    Edit 1/22: Use TWRP 2.6.1 or 2.6.3.1 but not 2.6.3.0 or 2.6.3.2. - trust me!
  • Rename the file to twrp.blob and place it into the same directory as your fastboot.exe in the ADB Fastboot Tool folder.
  • Again check the connection with

Code:
fastboot devices
If you get the connection, in the command window type:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x0B05 flash recovery twrp.blob
This will flash TWRP to the recovery partition
If it is successful type:
Code:
fastboot reboot
and let the tablet boot up normally.
TWRP may ask you at this point if you want it to root your stock rom. You can accept or cancel - it doesn't matter. Any custom rom you install is rooted anyway.

Creating a nandroid
Your almost there! You now should be on stock ROM with a custom recovery installed.
Power the tablet down and boot into the bootloader menu with Volume Down and Power buttons.
With RCK flashing, push Volume Up and you should boot into TWRP. Familiarize yourself with the many options of the touch based interface without executing anything yet. TWRP is very user friendly. You basically cannot do anything of consequence "by accident", so don't be shy.
Boot back into system.

Installing a custom ROM
The most popular custom ROMs for the TF700 are CROMi-X and CyanogenMod (CM).
CROMi-X is based on the latest Asus firmware for this tablet with many, many tweaks and improvements.
CM is build from the ground up, currently emulating JB 4.3
Look for both in the Development section of the XDA forum for this tablet: Transformer TF700 Android Development - xda-developers

Full disclosure: I am a hopeless fan boy for CROMi-X, which I consider to be the "best", but at least best supported ROM for this tablet.

Note: It is recommended (mandatory if you go for CM) to do a Factory Wipe in TWRP before installing a custom ROM. If you choose 'Wipe' in TWRP all you have to do is swipe the button - it's the default selection under the 'Wipe' menu. You will loose your apps, but it will not wipe your /data/media folder where your files, pictures, etc live.
If you do this right before flashing the custom ROM, make sure you have the zip file of your custom ROM on your microSD - not on your internal SD where it may get wiped....

Read the thread of your chosen ROM (and most importantly carefully read the OP to make sure you have the correct bootloader and recovery installed) and decide for yourself which ROM you want to try.
From here on out it's as easy as downloading the installation file of your custom ROM, booting into TWRP, choosing "Install" and navigating to the zip of the ROM you want to flash.

Any questions - please ask.

AND IF YOU LIKE THE ROM, SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION AND DONATE TO THE DEVELOPER!

Edit Jan 02, 2014:

Once you installed a custom recovery NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES - AND I REPEAT: NEVER! - use the 'Wipe Data' option from the bootloader menu or the "Factory Reset" option in Settings > Backup&Restore.
In your custom recovery you have the option to wipe, backup and restore (if you have a backup) every partition on your tablet selectively or collectively. Any wiping, any backup and any restore of the system, data, recovery or boot partitions MUST be done in your recovery (or in fastboot)!
You can safely use Titanium Backup or Asus Backup for apps and settings, but that's it. For everything else use your recovery

Last edited:

Jon Livingston

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!! I have been attempting to push TWRP for days with GOO, normal ADB tools, etc... with no luck until I came across your post and this worked perfectly with step by step instructions which I greatly needed... I will be donating via Paypal... Thanks again!!

ancient1one

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi berndlb, my TF700 is a refurb that still has about 60 days of Asus warranty. My major gripe is the lag and it gets about 6 hours on a charge with the dock attached. This is with light usage. Wifi is set to go off when the tablet is in sleep mode yet its using 55%. Another issue is playing Zen pinball HD half the screen goes black in landscape mode but plays in portrait(other than a little lag). Should I be sending the TF700 in for repair or will installing CROMi-X fix these issues? On a side note I have the 2 paid versions of Zen pinball and they both play in landscape/portrait mode with a little less lag than Zen HD.

My TF700 is running the latest firmware. I checked to see if the unlock tool V8 would work but after downloading it from Asus.com, I went into Polaris Office and tried to open the download. Got a message "this file format is not supported".
Here is a screen shot of the battery usage.
Asus TF 700 Screen Shot.JPG

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi berndlb, my TF700 is a refurb that still has about 60 days of Asus warranty. My major gripe is the lag and it gets about 6 hours on a charge with the dock attached. This is with light usage. Wifi is set to go off when the tablet is in sleep mode yet its using 55%

Forget the Asus battery app - I believe those percentages are worthless and grossly inaccurate.
6 hours on both batteries is not much, but it depends so much on what you are doing.... 6 hours of pinball would explain it ;)
The TF700 may have a bug that causes the dock to drain both batteries during sleep. Believe me - it's driving many of us nuts! A few weeks ago a few guys on XDA and I did a test: We did a clean install of CROMi-X with exactly the same options, did not install any user apps, made sure we had the same WiFi settings - and after about a week testing different scenarios we had totally inconsistent results. It's frustrating.
One theory is, that the dock keeps the tablet from ever reaching deep sleep unless you boot the tablet with the dock attached. Meaning, you always have to reboot with the dock attached if you disconnect them. Try it - can't hurt.
I don't think Asus would even attempt to do anything abut that issue. They would just say that it's caused by the way to use it.
Try a few battery monitoring apps (and let me know if you find a good one - I haven't yet) and install Wakelock detector. That app will tell you what app or service is preventing the tablet from reaching deep sleep.
Last option: Do a factory reset, install a minimum of apps and see if battery performance changes. It may be something you installed.....

Another issue is playing Zen pinball HD half the screen goes black in landscape mode but plays in portrait(other than a little lag). Should I be sending the TF700 in for repair or will installing CROMi-X fix these issues? On a side note I have the 2 paid versions of Zen pinball and they both play in landscape/portrait mode with a little less lag than Zen HD.

I happen to have downloaded Zen Pinball HD last week (just got a personal high score today: 111,947,380 :victory:). If I turn the tablet upright, that would be portrait, half the screen is black. So the app doesn't scale correctly to the screen. This is app related and has nothing to do with your tablet.
BTW, are you running the tablet in Performance mode because of the lag? That would explain the short battery life.... I have no lag whatsoever playing Zen Pinball HD in Balanced mode.
So that is something CROMi-X would definitely improve - among many other things...

My TF700 is running the latest firmware. I checked to see if the unlock tool V8 would work but after downloading it from Asus.com, I went into Polaris Office and tried to open the download. Got a message "this file format is not supported".
Here is a screen shot of the battery usage.
View attachment 96807

The Unlock Tool is an apk. Polaris cannot open that file. And you cannot "test" it. It either works or it doesn't. You only find out when you install it and hit that Unlock button.

If you try to get a RMA from Asus for warranty repair I would not be surprised if they deny it with the symptoms you described. And I doubt it would help.... But it's your call.

ancient1one

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Forget the Asus battery app - I believe those percentages are worthless and grossly inaccurate.
6 hours on both batteries is not much, but it depends so much on what you are doing.... 6 hours of pinball would explain it ;)
The TF700 may have a bug that causes the dock to drain both batteries during sleep. Believe me - it's driving many of us nuts! A few weeks ago a few guys on XDA and I did a test: We did a clean install of CROMi-X with exactly the same options, did not install any user apps, made sure we had the same WiFi settings - and after about a week testing different scenarios we had totally inconsistent results. It's frustrating.
One theory is, that the dock keeps the tablet from ever reaching deep sleep unless you boot the tablet with the dock attached. Meaning, you always have to reboot with the dock attached if you disconnect them. Try it - can't hurt.
I don't think Asus would even attempt to do anything abut that issue. They would just say that it's caused by the way to use it.
Try a few battery monitoring apps (and let me know if you find a good one - I haven't yet) and install Wakelock detector. That app will tell you what app or service is preventing the tablet from reaching deep sleep.
Last option: Do a factory reset, install a minimum of apps and see if battery performance changes. It may be something you installed.....

I happen to have downloaded Zen Pinball HD last week (just got a personal high score today: 111,947,380 :victory:). If I turn the tablet upright, that would be portrait, half the screen is black. So the app doesn't scale correctly to the screen. This is app related and has nothing to do with your tablet.
BTW, are you running the tablet in Performance mode because of the lag? That would explain the short battery life.... I have no lag whatsoever playing Zen Pinball HD in Balanced mode.
So that is something CROMi-X would definitely improve - among many other things...

The Unlock Tool is an apk. Polaris cannot open that file. And you cannot "test" it. It either works or it doesn't. You only find out when you install it and hit that Unlock button.

If you try to get a RMA from Asus for warranty repair I would not be surprised if they deny it with the symptoms you described. And I doubt it would help.... But it's your call.

On another site someone said Zen HD played in portrait mode using the latest firmware update on his TF700, this made me think my TF700 wasn't working properly.
111,947,380 is some serious pinball :cool:. My high is 71,000,000. Multi Ball has been killing me, when 3 or 4 balls are in play the slightest movement is a tilt out. What is your gaming name? Mine is ancient1one. Friendly competition?

The way the TF700 runs now makes me want to sell it or worse :mad: So I would like to Install CROMi-X. My first step is to ask you for some guidance. I cant get the unlock tool to open so I might need more than guidance :confused:. Although I unlocked my Verizon s3;) dont ask me how but it is unlocked. Maybe watching Tomsgt123 on you tube do it about 100 times? :-[

Thanks answering my questions. If you can help me going forward it would be greatly appreciated. If successful I would be happy donating through paypal.

ttoy360

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello I have followed the steps you have outline and when I reboot instead of going to twrp I get a red triangle and an error then the system reboot normally not sure what I am doing wrong or what is wrong with the system
TF700T with the new build date of 10.6.1.14.10. Please help if you can

Thanks Tim

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
On another site someone said Zen HD played in portrait mode using the latest firmware update on his TF700, this made me think my TF700 wasn't working properly.
111,947,380 is some serious pinball :cool:. My high is 71,000,000. Multi Ball has been killing me, when 3 or 4 balls are in play the slightest movement is a tilt out. What is your gaming name? Mine is ancient1one. Friendly competition?

The way the TF700 runs now makes me want to sell it or worse :mad: So I would like to Install CROMi-X. My first step is to ask you for some guidance. I cant get the unlock tool to open so I might need more than guidance :confused:. Although I unlocked my Verizon s3;) dont ask me how but it is unlocked. Maybe watching Tomsgt123 on you tube do it about 100 times? :-[

Thanks answering my questions. If you can help me going forward it would be greatly appreciated. If successful I would be happy donating through paypal.
My game is "Sorcerer's Lair" and I can adjust the nudge sensitivity in settigngs - try it.
The Unlock Tool is an app. You have to install and run it - you do not open the file.
Just go to the folder where you have it, tap on the apk and choose the packet installer to install it.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello I have followed the steps you have outline and when I reboot instead of going to twrp I get a red triangle and an error then the system reboot normally not sure what I am doing wrong or what is wrong with the system
TF700T with the new build date of 10.6.1.14.10. Please help if you can

Thanks Tim

If you get the Android on his back with an exclamation mark, you are in the stock recovery. That means your attempt to install TWRP failed and the script should have told you.
Without your description of what EXACTLY you did (take screen shots of the cmd window or copy/paste the text to a text file) I have no idea what to tell you.

nesto57

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
My game is "Sorcerer's Lair" and I can adjust the nudge sensitivity in settigngs - try it.
The Unlock Tool is an app. You have to install and run it - you do not open the file.
Just go to the folder where you have it, tap on the apk and choose the packet installer to install it.

The unlock tool is downloaded as a .rar which is like a zip file, so download an unrar app and then uncompress the file and run the app.

bplzip

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In December 2012 I received an early Christmas present - ASUS Transformer Infinty. It was my first tablet, so I didn't know what to expect.
Less than a month after receiving it I was searching the internet for ways to improve its performance. I uninstalled several apps that I seldom used, especially ones that ran at startup. This freed some memory and helped a little, but it became obvious that unlocking, rooting and installing a custom ROM would be the only solution to ending my frustration with the TF700T.
I patiently waited for my warranty to expire in mid-December 2013, and decided that it was time to take action. Of all the custom ROMs that I considered CROMi-X seemed to be the best choice. Just before Christmas I ran across this tutorial and spent a late afternoon unlocking my TF700T, installing TWRP, ADB Fastboot tool and CROMi-X 5.2.3.
An early Christmas present again this year!!! This tutorial made it easy, although I used the v7 unlocking tool because I didn't know how to use the v8 .rar file .
I've been using my better-than-like-new Infinity for a little more than a week now. I'm thinking "Why did I wait so long to take action?"
Thank you berndlb for this tutorial, because it really explained the whole process so that even an old 63 year old like me could pull off this amazing transformation without a hitch. I had been considering buying a new Nexus 7 or 10, but no need for that now. A contibution to the developer is on the way.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
OK, I tried doing this and everything went good except when I went to flash nightly rom it fails. Am I sol?

Posted via Android Central App

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
"It fails" isn't very helpful since my crystal ball is in the shop.... ;)
You are trying to flash CM I gather?
CM11 since you are going for experimental and unproven nightlies?
Did you read the OP for that rom?
Do you have the correct bootloader installed?
The correct recovery?
What are you doing? Because you are doing something wrong. Without you describing in detail what you are doing I won't be able to help.

only1canoli

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I did everything that was in the tutorial and it went good no problems, I installed CM11 the latest edition- cm-11-20131231-NIGHTLY-tf700t.zip and it failed. How can I add another rom to see if that works?

Howeyr

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been using my better-than-like-new Infinity for a little more than a week now. I'm thinking "Why did I wait so long to take action?"
Thank you berndlb for this tutorial...

I'd like to second this.

Really, excellent work by everyone involved. Thanks for putting up with myself and the rest of the noobs.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I did everything that was in the tutorial and it went good no problems, I installed CM11 the latest edition- cm-11-20131231-NIGHTLY-tf700t.zip and it failed. How can I add another rom to see if that works?

If you read the OP for CM11 you need CWM 6.0.4.4. Supposedly TWRP 2.6.3.2 also works with KitKat.
Which recovery did you flash?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a Factory Wipe in TWRP before attempting to flash CM11?

It REALLY would be helpful if you would post, step-by-step, what you actually did... I feel as if I'm poking around in the dark.

If you want to try a different ROM, flash CROMi-X from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425383

Note: There is no track record yet how TWRP 2.6.3.2 works with this rom. I don't think there should be a problem, but if in doubt, flash the bootloader/TWRP package provided in the OP of that thread, reboot to system and then flash the ROM.

andersonas25

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the guide, it went well but for one odd thing. The fastboot install of TWRP (openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-tf700t.blob) worked no errors but it would hang on booting the recovery kernel. I was using the keyboard dock, I tried re flashing TWRP several times and it would hang each time. Finally I disconnected from the keyboard and plugged the usb cable into the TF700T its self re flashed with flashboot and TWRP booted up as expected. Hope this helps the next person to run into this.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the guide, it went well but for one odd thing. The fastboot install of TWRP (openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.2-tf700t.blob) worked no errors but it would hang on booting the recovery kernel. I was using the keyboard dock, I tried re flashing TWRP several times and it would hang each time. Finally I disconnected from the keyboard and plugged the usb cable into the TF700T its self re flashed with flashboot and TWRP booted up as expected. Hope this helps the next person to run into this.

Yes, I've heard that before. Although you can connect fine in fastboot and adb when connected through the dock, a flash fails.
It never occurred to me to even try connecting through the dock! But maybe I should add it to the OP.
Since you are #2 who tried this, invariably there will be others.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk