How to replace CWM recovery with TWRP ?

FaiqT

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm about to commit suicide, could you please tell me a way to replace the cwm i have with twrp wihout the risk of bricking, data loss and etc. I've been busy all day long, but i can't flash the android 4.2 firmware with cwm, i need twrp to flash it, but i dont' know the decent way to do it, i do really appreciate your answers.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to commit suicide, could you please tell me a way to replace the cwm i have with twrp wihout the risk of bricking, data loss and etc. I've been busy all day long, but i can't flash the android 4.2 firmware with cwm, i need twrp to flash it, but i dont' know the decent way to do it, i do really appreciate your answers.

There is no working TWRP recovery for the TF701 yet.
Why are you trying to flash the 4.2 firmware?

FaiqT

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I was recently able to replace twrp with cwm, I installed it via fastboot. But the problem is still persistent, I cannot install the latest 4.2.2 firmware to my tablet, twrp cant flash it too, gives some type of error like the "error 7" in cwm. What shoul I do ? :(

Posted via Android Central App

FaiqT

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys, by the way, my tablet is not TF701 it is TF300TG, anyway, the same options apply to both of them. I posted here because there is no tf300 section in forum.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Guys, by the way, my tablet is not TF701 it is TF300TG, anyway, the same options apply to both of them. I posted here because there is no tf300 section in forum.

You are quite wrong! Different bootloader, kernel and framework!
What you can or cannot do on a TF300 is different from the TF700 and different again for the TF701.

So if I understand you correctly you want to flash the 4.2 stock firmware on your tablet?
If yes: Did you unzip the firmware you downloaded from Asus ONCE, and then tried to flash that zip?

You do realize that flashing the firmware will replace your custom recovery with the stock recovery, do you?

I don't quite get though why you would be flashing stock firmware on an unlocked tablet when there are much better custom roms out there...
But if you do that, your current bootloader version and recovery version become very, very important.
Especially on the TF300 there are several bootloader/recovery combinations that will brick your tablet.

Head over to the TF300 forum on XDA. That's the best place to find help.

FaiqT

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
You got me wrong, sure i do know that different stuff applies to each tablet, what i meant by saying that (same options apply) was they both should have the same workaround to fix the "error 7" problem and flashing a firmware. I want to get the original android feel, that's why i don't flash a custom ROM. i think you don't know (as everybody else on other forums i posted) how to fix "error 7", but i would like to ask you another question, will flashing an official firmware delete my apps and stuff ? Or they will remain ?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You got me wrong, sure i do know that different stuff applies to each tablet, what i meant by saying that (same options apply) was they both should have the same workaround to fix the "error 7" problem and flashing a firmware. I want to get the original android feel, that's why i don't flash a custom ROM. i think you don't know (as everybody else on other forums i posted) how to fix "error 7", but i would like to ask you another question, will flashing an official firmware delete my apps and stuff ? Or they will remain ?

Customs ROMs are all about getting back to that "original Android" feel! That's why people starting flashing in the first place! Because they wanted to get away from the bloat the OEMs and service carriers were loading on phones and tablets.
Yes, flashing the Asus firmware file will wipe your apps and data. It will also replace your custom recovery. You loose root too.

No, I don't know what error 7 in CWM is. I only use TWRP.
Check your procedure. You are doing something wrong: wrong firmware, not unzipped or too often, bad download......
Flashing the stock firmware in TWRP or CWM should be easy as pie....

FaiqT

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, which rom are you using yourself and is there any good rom that you can advise me ? I think i should give it a shot. But, no, i do everything the way it has to be done, i do unzip once, downloaded the same firmware 3 times guessing maybe it is corrupt, and i'm choosing tf300tg from devices when downloading. So, i think it is an error related to my tablet, not the firmware.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Customs ROMs are all about getting back to that "original Android" feel! That's why people starting flashing in the first place! Because they wanted to get away from the bloat the OEMs and service carriers were loading on phones and tablets.
Yes, flashing the Asus firmware file will wipe your apps and data. It will also replace your custom recovery. You loose root too.

No, I don't know what error 7 in CWM is. I only use TWRP.
Check your procedure. You are doing something wrong: wrong firmware, not unzipped or too often, bad download......
Flashing the stock firmware in TWRP or CWM should be easy as pie....

In the VERY beginning custom ROM's were about performance. Not getting rid of bloat (there was no bloat in the beginning).

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk 4

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, which rom are you using yourself and is there any good rom that you can advise me ? I think i should give it a shot. But, no, i do everything the way it has to be done, i do unzip once, downloaded the same firmware 3 times guessing maybe it is corrupt, and i'm choosing tf300tg from devices when downloading. So, i think it is an error related to my tablet, not the firmware.

So you have the model with a SIM card and 3G, yes?
You sure you are downloading the correct SKU?

I am a big fan of CROMi-X, probably the best supported rom for the TF700/300/101.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
In the VERY beginning custom ROM's were about performance. Not getting rid of bloat (there was no bloat in the beginning).

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk 4

You are right of course. That actually was my motivation to unlock and flash: I was extremely disappointed with the stock version of this tablet, but loved the form factor and still do.
If not for the broken dock connector I would still say this tablet now is perfect for me. But hopefully I can solve that little problem with some JB Weld this weekend ;)

TyneBridges

May 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to do exactly what the title says on my Motorola Xoom tablet. As part of attempting to upgrade this old tablet to Kitkat, I've installed the CWM recovery. However, TWRP recovery is only available as a zip and I'm very wary of trying to use zips with fastboot, as I've already (temporarily) bricked the tablet that way. Several times I've gone into CWM and selected "choose zip from SDcard". Each time I select OpenRec2.6.3.0-jflteatt.zip and reboot straight to recovery, I'm back to the CWM recovery instead of TWRP. :(

Is this because I saw an option at an earlier stage to prevent the Xoom from putting back the stock recovery, and selected that? If so, how do I get out of the situation? (I've also installed Xoom-Universal-Root, but GooManager says I don't have root access, so that option has failed.)

Many thanks for any help.

Edit: Sorry, I've just realised this forum is for a different device - but possibly the principle is the same re custom recoveries...?

Last edited:

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to do exactly what the title says on my Motorola Xoom tablet. As part of attempting to upgrade this old tablet to Kitkat, I've installed the CWM recovery. However, TWRP recovery is only available as a zip and I'm very wary of trying to use zips with fastboot, as I've already (temporarily) bricked the tablet that way. Several times I've gone into CWM and selected "choose zip from SDcard". Each time I select OpenRec2.6.3.0-jflteatt.zip and reboot straight to recovery, I'm back to the CWM recovery instead of TWRP. :(

Is this because I saw an option at an earlier stage to prevent the Xoom from putting back the stock recovery, and selected that? If so, how do I get out of the situation? (I've also installed Xoom-Universal-Root, but GooManager says I don't have root access, so that option has failed.)

Many thanks for any help.

Edit: Sorry, I've just realised this forum is for a different device - but possibly the principle is the same re custom recoveries...?

It could be similar, but I would verify it in the Xoom forum. If it is similar to the process on this tablet, then your flash fails because you boot straight back to recovery. On the TF series the recovery flash gets written to the staging partition and then the bootloader flashes it to it's proper partition during the next boot.
So you would have to flash the recovery, reboot to system, boot back to recovery.
And you are correct: You cannot flash zip files in fastboot.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

TyneBridges

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, berndlb. The Xoom generally replaces the stock recovery on each "normal" boot, so the behaviour I saw didn't seem to make much sense. In the end, it looked as if the instruction I used was misleading, because it referred to installing two separate TWRP recoveries in turn. As it happened, the only one I needed was TWRP Bigpart - that did install correctly and the rest of the upgrade to Kitkat was straightforward.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance