4.3 Update is live!

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded OTA. So far, so good, but I've only been using it an hour now. I am also waiting for 4.3 for my S4, but heard some of those updates are getting pulled due to problems with Samsung's build for 4.3 (Hopefully I don't find out the hard way that this has issues!).

Has anyone else gotten the update yet? Anything interesting/troubling to report?

Posted via Android Central App

Nofew

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I do have a few things to report.

I upgraded from Android 4.2.2 to 4.3 earlier today. After being bummed out that there's still no Photosphere on stock firmware I discovered something far worse..

It lags. I don't mean "Eh, it lags a little here and there", no. I mean, it lags so bad that I can barely use the tablet sometimes. Even just swiping to a new page on the home screen takes over two seconds most of the time.

The tablet always feels warm too, as if the CPU is running under load. Even while asleep it stays warm, and when I'm playing a game it gets so hot that it's actually mildly painful.

Just to be sure I'm not crazy I went and grabbed CPU-Z. Yep, all four cores are on and the load's almost always at 75% or over, only dropping down to 0% for a half second about once a minute. Often it'll jump to 100% and stay there for extended periods of time as well.

The only thing I know I'm running, for sure, is CPU-Z. Nothing else is listed in the app switcher or in the upper left corner. The services look normal (just stock stuff running plus a live wallpaper ("Day Scene") and Swiftkey apart from the usual Google and Asus stuff).

Under "battery", "Media" is using 57% of the system's power. I don't know why this is running. Honestly, I don't have the slightest clue. From a fresh boot the thing's lagging right off the bat, no music playing, no videos, and yet this thing's right up there. After downloading a task manager I found that "android.process.media" and "Google+" are each using about 50% at all times.

I'm running stock firmware, it's not rooted, it's not unlocked; everything's off the shelf.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue or have any suggestions on how to fix it, and how to get Photosphere on this tablet?

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had issues with lag, but the battery does seem to drain fairly aggressively, particularly when using the keyboard dock. Its not great off the dock either, but better than with it.

Otherwise, some stability seems to have been added, I no longer get the random hangs and restarts I got before, and the keyboard dock works much better.

In terms of installing photosphere, there was an APK for the stock android camera floating around a few months back, it would be worth a shot on here if you really want it.

Nofew

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Would you mind checking your CPU usage and stuff? Maybe your battery drain's the same issue that I have but a less severe case.

Any chance you know where that APK is? I've looked around a while in various places on the 'net, got like five different ones, but none work. The camera its self is fine, but when I try to go to photosphere it crashes.

EDIT: Might've fixed it! Might've. After deleting pretty much everything media-related on the SD card and internal memory the service finally stops and my tablet feels like normal. It does feel more fluid than 4.2.2, but now I'm afraid to put anything back on the thing. I'll put some stuff back and report what happens after a day or two of testing.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Mine in behaving perfectly fine after the update. No issues here. Nothing keeping my CPU awake at all.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk 4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you used a TF201 before ?

If so how does this new one compare ? Is it worth swapping up to this ?

Thanks

Faster processor, much better display. Still some niggling issues, though, but that's obviously not all of them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nofew

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: Might've fixed it! Might've. After deleting pretty much everything media-related on the SD card and internal memory the service finally stops and my tablet feels like normal. It does feel more fluid than 4.2.2, but now I'm afraid to put anything back on the thing. I'll put some stuff back and report what happens after a day or two of testing.

Yep, we're good! It was more than "a few days", but the entire time it's been good.

demon09

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear that.

I have noticed that all the problems I originally had are smoothed out with this. I do get strange screen flicker on redraw sometimes, but its rare, and doesn't kick me out of the app I was using or restart the tablet like it was doing on 4.2.2.

The keyboard does still occasionally lose communication with the tablet, but it is very, very rare compared to how it was before, and it is much more usable and responsive than it was before.

Overall, I am happy with it as a tablet/mini-laptop combo. Now I just wish it had a multiwindow feature like the Samsung Galaxy series.

peterm242

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
I know this may be a beginner thing but this is my first time using android. My battery was drainging quickly and it was doing so because the tablet was always connected to wifi, even when asleep. If this might be your issue and you ask me to, I will post a comment saying how to change it, because I remember it was a little tricky. I also am having completely seperate problems with my TF701T, mostly keyboard problems I assume, and I posted a thread if some of you guys would help, I would really appreciate it.