Zenfone 2 First Impressions/First Question

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi all -

My 4GB/64GB Zenfone 2 arrived this morning. I have it set up with a TMO sim in the first slot, ATT sim in the second. I'll give more detailed feedback later, but here are first thoughts:

1) Size is great. Is really no bigger than my HTC Desire EYE, feels good in the hand.
2) Speed and performance seem fine, no stuttering or lagging. I did have one freeze when I was setting up a google account, which required a hard reboot. No issues since.
3) power button on top is mushy but hard to press. out of keeping with rest of device.
4) Asus customizations are REALLY nice so far. Feels as polished as Sense.
5) A bit concerned about camera image processing. I'm seeing exactly the same issue as gsmarena did in the quick review today...image color and dynamic range are good, but fine detail is heavily smoothed. Not as blocky and annoying as my Xperia Z3, but still frustrating. Camera software itself seems easy to use. I like the ability to long-press and lock exposure and focus.

Finally...a question. Can anyone tell me how to disable haptic feedback for softkeys? I disabled it for the keyboard but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get rid of the vibration when I touch the home key. any help would be much appreciated.

Will do a full camera comparo vs. my Lumia 1020, Desire Eye, and Xperia Z3 soon.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all -

My 4GB/64GB Zenfone 2 arrived this morning. I have it set up with a TMO sim in the first slot, ATT sim in the second. I'll give more detailed feedback later, but here are first thoughts:

1) Size is great. Is really no bigger than my HTC Desire EYE, feels good in the hand.
2) Speed and performance seem fine, no stuttering or lagging. I did have one freeze when I was setting up a google account, which required a hard reboot. No issues since.
3) power button on top is mushy but hard to press. out of keeping with rest of device.
4) Asus customizations are REALLY nice so far. Feels as polished as Sense.
5) A bit concerned about camera image processing. I'm seeing exactly the same issue as gsmarena did in the quick review today...image color and dynamic range are good, but fine detail is heavily smoothed. Not as blocky and annoying as my Xperia Z3, but still frustrating. Camera software itself seems easy to use. I like the ability to long-press and lock exposure and focus.

Finally...a question. Can anyone tell me how to disable haptic feedback for softkeys? I disabled it for the keyboard but for the life of me I can't figure out how to get rid of the vibration when I touch the home key. any help would be much appreciated.

Will do a full camera comparo vs. my Lumia 1020, Desire Eye, and Xperia Z3 soon.
Check in the sound settings.

Note in my house!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the impressions! Can you check the speed on SIM 2? Is it The same speed as SIM 1? I saw and article which said the speed of SIM 2 is limited to 2G?

Also saw the article on GSM arena. Have you tried a different camera app to see if that does anything. Hopefully ASUS can update the app if needed.

Also can you check back in a few days to give us impressions of the battery? Also are you using a case?

Also pics?

Posted via Nexus 6!

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the impressions! Can you check the speed on SIM 2? Is it The same speed as SIM 1? I saw and article which said the speed of SIM 2 is limited to 2G?

SIM 2 is Voice Only as far as I can tell..no data at all, not even MMS. a bummer really...if it could do MMS that would be great, but my daughter sent me a photo by MMS and I couldn't download it. SMS works. Voice quality on SIM 2 also doesn't appear to be as good as SIM 1...I made some calls on SIM 2 and people said I sounded bad, I got no such comments on SIM 1.

Also saw the article on GSM arena. Have you tried a different camera app to see if that does anything. Hopefully ASUS can update the app if needed.

I have not tried a different app yet...will go with Google Camera and see if the image processing is different. I doubt there will be much difference really. I will post full comparison in a day or two.

Also can you check back in a few days to give us impressions of the battery? Also are you using a case?

No case. I'll let you know about battery, to early to tell yet obviously.

Also pics?

Posted via Nexus 6!

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok! Detail issue SOLVED. turn off "image optimization" in camera settings. The great thing is that you can actually change the image processing manually to suit your tastes.

Wow. Gonna like this phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I got my 4GB/32GB variant this morning. I have some of the same sentiments as Quantify. Build is nice, feels good in the hand because of the curve. Don't have to mess with the power button because of tap to wake and sleep. It's fast and fluid while moving through the UI. Screen brightness could be better but it's still good. I seem to have an issue with losing all connection at times, it drops and doesn't come back until I either restart or toggle airplane mode (using T-Mobile). I also can't seem to get rid of lock screen notifications that have to deal with the system, it constantly tells me that I have installed my SD card and when I long press to get to the menu to not show that notification, it does nothing. Other than that, it's a beast phone and I'm happy with my purchase. Will update more when I have more hands on.

I didn't feel like making a new thread but if Quantify would like this to be his own thread then I can.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my 4GB/32GB variant this morning. I have some of the same sentiments as Quantify. Build is nice, feels good in the hand because of the curve. Don't have to mess with the power button because of tap to wake and sleep. It's fast and fluid while moving through the UI. Screen brightness could be better but it's still good. I seem to have an issue with losing all connection at times, it drops and doesn't come back until I either restart or toggle airplane mode (using T-Mobile). I also can't seem to get rid of lock screen notifications that have to deal with the system, it constantly tells me that I have installed my SD card and when I long press to get to the menu to not show that notification, it does nothing. Other than that, it's a beast phone and I'm happy with my purchase. Will update more when I have more hands on.

I didn't feel like making a new thread but if Quantify would like this to be his own thread then I can.

Glad you got it! Looking forward to hearing your impressions! Was there an update waiting as soon as you connected? Is the connection issue with the network only or when WIFI is used along with, without? Call quality?

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Glad you got it! Looking forward to hearing your impressions! Was there an update waiting as soon as you connected? Is the connection issue with the network only or when WIFI is used along with, without? Call quality?

I did not have an update... also not experiencing connectivity issues yet.

Performancewise... so far so good. Total beast on asphalt 8...

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There was no update waiting for me. The connection issue so far, is only when I'm on the network as I was out of the house when it happened. Call quality has been okay, but I've only made one call since having it so more time is needed to really answer that.

Edit: Just ran Antutu and scored 47682. I know that benchmarks aren't all they're cracked up to be though.

Last edited:

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: the dual SIM
You can only have one data connection. It is this way on all dual SIM phones. The second SIM is 2g only - calls and text. MMS is sent over data, not the voice network, so that is why no MMS on the 2nd SIM.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

I was having the same issue with T-Mobile. I deleted the APN settings that automatically load when the network is found and manually added them back and my connection improved. Also, change the preferred settings from 4G to 3G. At 4G it is constantly looking for LTE. On 3G it will settle on HSPA+.

bigsmooth66

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Also worth noting that when on standby the aignal meter will say 3G, but when data is being used it will show your fastest connection.

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
So far, pretty bad. This is from 96% this morning. I would hold off final judgement until I do a few more cycles, but I'm pretty confident this is not going to look like my Z3 Compact...
Screenshot (Apr 2, 2015 9-24-14 AM).jpg

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I was having the same issue with T-Mobile. I deleted the APN settings that automatically load when the network is found and manually added them back and my connection improved. Also, change the preferred settings from 4G to 3G. At 4G it is constantly looking for LTE. On 3G it will settle on HSPA+.

I originally couldn't get data on 4G preferred connection with either APN I put in, so I dropped it to 3G preferred and got HSPA+ with terrible speeds of 2.5Mbps down. I then found out I should have the APN fast.t-mobile.com instead of fast.tmobile.com and it allows me to have the 4G preferred and get speeds around 15-25Mbps down.

As for battery it's still too early to say, it seems pretty good in standby, but it looks like it may drain slightly fast with usage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge