05-17-2016 11:35 AM
41 12
tools
    Hello all. Old thread, but I want to post for some information.

I use Cricket (at&t) with my ZenFone and when I first activated the sim I was getting 3G only. Cricket gave me custom apn settings to force the phone on 4G. This was a long troublehshooting process, but Cricket believes AT&T's system was flagging the new ZenFone 2 as the old ZenFone. Im sure the issue is fixed now, but that's what caused the problem.
    07-20-2015 10:51 AM
    Hello all. Old thread, but I want to post for some information.

I use Cricket (at&t) with my ZenFone and when I first activated the sim I was getting 3G only. Cricket gave me custom apn settings to force the phone on 4G. This was a long troublehshooting process, but Cricket believes AT&T's system was flagging the new ZenFone 2 as the old ZenFone. Im sure the issue is fixed now, but that's what caused the problem.

Thanks for sharing this information. Is it fixed now in ATT? Cause my zenfone 2 still use h+.

Could you share your custom apn setting? It could help most zenfone 2 user. Thanks!!!
    07-20-2015 11:58 AM
    So far after several attempts AT&T is refusing to get my ZF2 onto LTE. The most recent attempt I was told its an International Phone and the IMIE isn't listed to support LTE. This means they won't allow it despite the fact I have an AT&T SIM, it has the AT&T bands and I have put in the AT&T APN settings.

So I ordered a Moto X 2nd Gen, it will be here on Wednesday. If that doesn't get LTE (Told by Moto it will) and given AT&T sells the Moto X 2nd Gen then it goes back to Moto and I have to roll the dice with something else.

I have tried several SIM's but the issue is I was between LTE phones so my backup flip phone (no LTE) is why I can't just swap SIM's. Of course I could just buy a phone with a microSIM, and return it and pay a restock fee, which may become my backup move.
    07-20-2015 07:52 PM
    Thanks for all the tips, guys. I borrowed my brother's old S3, put the SIM in, chat with AT&T, told them to activate the LTE, popped it back in the Zenfone 2, and voila.
    07-21-2015 04:27 AM
    So am I reading correctly that if I see a "4G" (in a square box) at the top of my phone display, I am getting LTE, even though it doesn't say lte" like it did on my old G2 phone.

Note I'm in the USA and on AT&T.
    08-09-2015 11:04 AM
    So am I reading correctly that if I see a "4G" (in a square box) at the top of my phone display, I am getting LTE, even though it doesn't say lte" like it did on my old G2 phone.
    That is correct.

Asus Zenphone 2 (4GB RAM)
    08-09-2015 12:39 PM
    That is correct, the US likes LTE and the rest of the world recognizes it as 4G vs H or H+. Can't wait for the next round of marketing BS the carriers put out, like XLTE from Verizon, that somehow another band is even better.
    Lord Mosh likes this.
    08-09-2015 01:54 PM
    Hello,
    I did what you have recommended. I activated LTE on my old phone and after inserting that SIM card in Zenfone 2, I get LTE service Have a question though, I also read on some other forum that AT&T regularly does sweep to make sure that SIM card is being used with IMEI number that it has been registered against. How often AT&T does this sweep?

Thanks
    11-24-2015 02:53 PM
    I've never heard of that. I used another phone on my account to set up my wife's ZF2, and it still gets LTE. This was several months ago. The IMEI is just used to initially provision the line, as far as I can tell. If the IMEI you're using has changed subsequently, so what? The SIM is already set up for your line. That's a key feature of the GSM standard and its derivatives, really...
    Neil Mehta likes this.
    11-29-2015 10:04 PM
    Sounds great to me ccontard
    12-04-2015 12:15 PM
    I bought a Zen2, went to AT&T with my Galaxy 5 and asked to add a new phone to my account and needed a SIM. They told me that if they put a different SIM in my G5 that my original SIM would be burned as they match the SIM and IMEI for security. I think she said stolen phones. Is this true? My wife's Galaxy 6 uses a nanoSIM. My work phone G5 uses a Micro like the Zen2, so I need to use theG5, but can't mess up my work account as it is through the company. Will my work account or SIM be at risk if I use its IMEI to register a new SIM for the Zen2 as AT&T claims? Thanks
    12-10-2015 01:26 PM
    BrownHay,
    I see. However you don't need to use your G5 SIM card. You can activate service on your wife's nano SIM from G6 and then buy SIM card adapter from Amazon for under $7 and put nano SIM in to adapter and use it in Zen2. As you are going from Nano to Micro, you should be all set. Hope this helps. Best luck!
    12-10-2015 02:19 PM
    Worked as described and both the original G5 SIM and new SIM still work. Thanks for the help.
    Neil Mehta likes this.
    12-12-2015 07:43 AM
    Is there still an issue with activating a new zen2 directly with Att? I have a friend who may purchase a new zen2 to replace her current phone but I don't think she will want to fool with swapping sims. Probably she would want to just walk in the Att store with her old and new phone and ask them to switch service to the new phone.
    12-12-2015 11:14 PM
    As lot of people have pointed out, Zenfone 2 doesn't support LTE right out of the box. In order to get LTE, you have to register SIM card against phone with IMEI number that supports LTE and then use that SIM card in Zenfone 2. I do not believe your friend can just walk with Zenfone 2 in ATT store and get LTE service after activation. It is worth a try though. Best luck!
    12-13-2015 02:47 AM
    You shouldn't need another IMEI to get LTE working on AT&T. I have a US Zenfone 2 Deluxe (you do need a US variant, the world edition is missing some AT&T bands). The default APN on my device was phone, which doesn't support LTE. I set it to NEXTGENPHONE. I lost all connectivity on that APN, so I contacted support, I gave them my real IMEI and my phone is working just fine on LTE now.
    05-17-2016 11:35 AM
41 12