I've had the phone for about 1 day so far (I was one of the lucky ones to get to go to the event... thanks Phil) and I thought I would share my experience so far.

I come from using a Moto G 1st gen LTE phone on Cricket. This phone is huge next to the Moto G and will most likely have to be used with 2 hands for most tasks. The power button is at the top of the device, but luckily you can double tap the phone to wake and turn off the screen (you double tap on a blank spot of the notification bar to turn the phone off). The screen looks great to me and is definitely a step up from the moto g.

I find the volume on the phone to be very quiet. I use bluetooth in my morning commute with the app Pocketcasts and it definitely outputs sound at a quieter level than the moto g. I also haven't found a way to silent the phone with no vibration. The menus in the phone are a little different than stock android, so learning the phone is taking me some time.

The phone also seems to be using much more power than the moto g so far. Much of this is due to me playing with a new phone, but even on stand by it seems to be using 7-10% of the power per hour. The phone is running a version of 5.0 Lollipop, so im not sure if it is the operating system or the radios causing the big power drain. Even with my phone plugged in with only Waze, Pocketcasts, and Agent running the battery was still draining and actually lost power during my commute. The Moto G wouldn't loose any power under a similar use. Hopefully the battery will get a little better as the days go on and the phone settles in.

The camera and storage are miles above the moto g. It is really nice to not have to worry about memory. The phone has 64 gbs of memory and will even let you download apps to the sd card. The phone is also very fluid and switching apps is great. It definitely doesn't chug along like the moto g did. The camera probably isn't as nice as the flagships, but is great for just posting to social networks. I could even take photos inside the house that are usable, which I couldn't really do with the moto g.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm using the google now launcher and haven't run into any app incompatibilities so far.
    Sccoaire, Guytronic and planoman like this.
    05-20-2015 12:00 PM
    Nice review. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking of getting this as a spare phone.
    05-20-2015 01:08 PM
    Your power usage isn't typical. Standby drain is less than 1% power per hour, even with push mail, GPS, Bluetooth, and NFC enabled. Wait a couple of days for things to finish syncing and indexing and see if that gets better.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-20-2015 01:36 PM
    I hope so. The battery is the only thing so far giving me any worries. What launcher do you use? I'm wondering if the stock launcher will increase the battery life.
    05-20-2015 01:41 PM
    The phone also seems to be using much more power than the moto g so far. Much of this is due to me playing with a new phone, but even on stand by it seems to be using 7-10% of the power per hour. The phone is running a version of 5.0 Lollipop, so im not sure if it is the operating system or the radios causing the big power drain. Even with my phone plugged in with only Waze, Pocketcasts, and Agent running the battery was still draining and actually lost power during my commute. The Moto G wouldn't loose any power under a similar use. Hopefully the battery will get a little better as the days go on and the phone settles in.
    Have you checked for updates?
    05-20-2015 02:26 PM
    It did have a system update out of the box, which i did apply. I just clicked the update button and another update started downloading. Hopefully this update will increase the battery life.
    05-20-2015 02:31 PM
    It did have a system update out of the box, which i did apply. I just clicked the update button and another update started downloading. Hopefully this update will increase the battery life.
    It also helps to restart your phone a few times after an update. Do a few reboots after this next update to let the software settle in!
    05-20-2015 02:45 PM
    Today's usage. 11 hours, still plenty of juice left.

Attached Thumbnails 1 day in with the Zenfone 2-10019.jpg  
    05-20-2015 06:45 PM
    Today's usage. 11 hours, still plenty of juice left.

I'm currently staring at an "android is upgrading screen" and hoping that afterwards I can get that sort of battery life
    05-20-2015 07:22 PM
    Just got that second update.

Posted via my Asus ZenFone 2 via the Android Central App
    05-20-2015 08:25 PM
    Are you having any issues connecting to LTE

05-20-2015 10:30 PM
    Hey blaize, guess you got your new phone up and running. I'm still using my prepaid right now. Can't find my micro Sim to put in this it. Anyhow loving the phone and honestly the camera crushes my Sony z3v. Hope you're enjoying yours!

I'm liking it a lot. Threw the Google Now Launcher on it and enjoying the larger screen and stuff, and it's smooth as buttuh. Radios seem weaker than my N5, speaker volume is not as loud, and brightness doesn't get dim enough (although the app Screen Filter takes care of that). I like the hand feel, and find the build quality to be quite good; no creaking or anything. Plastic does not automatically equate to cheap for me. And they seem to be updating it regularly which is excellent. And battery life is miles above my N5. No problems getting through a very long day.

Otoh, my N5 will have 5.1.1 soon, which may squash some bugs, and no bloatwear. Andrew said in his review he was able to uninstall or disable most of the bloatware, but almost everything I "uninstall" or "disable" shows up in the Play store wanting updates, so...

First world problems, yanno?

Anyway, enjoying it a bunch and carrying as my DD for now. Hope you find that SIM card, although it's sounding like it won't work on Verizon...

We should all start a review thread after we've had the devices for a bit, ya think?

Posted via my Asus ZenFone 2 via the Android Central App
    05-21-2015 05:09 AM
    Zenfone 2 is a good phone, and it's good to hear you the reviews after using it. It will be helpful for those who are thinking to buy this mobile.
    05-21-2015 06:54 AM
    I switched out the dollar store usb cable with the asus one that came with the phone on my bluetooth fm transmitter on my way to work today. The phone stayed at 100% percent charge the whole hour drive in with the Waze, Pocketcast, and agent running the whole time with the screen on. Looks like it was just the cheap usb not giving the phone enough juice. Forgot to mention that the phone comes with a nice fm radio app, which is good for free music all day at the office. Has anyone found a way to use the LED notification light for notifications? It seems to only light up for me when the phone is charging.
    05-21-2015 07:36 AM
    Forgot to mention that the phone comes with a nice fm radio app, which is good for free music all day at the office.
    Do you need to have headphones plugged in to listen to the radio? That's how HTC did it and it drove me batty.
    05-21-2015 09:25 AM
    Yes, you do need to keep head phones plugged in. I believe the headphones act as the antenna, so I don't think there is a way around this. I had the phone unplugged for 2 hours this morning with the FM radio running, bluetooth and nfc on, wi-fi on and not connected, and only 2 bars of cell service and it was at 88% percent, which is only 6 percent battery loss an hour. Seems like yesterday's updated did improve the battery life.
    mstrblueskys likes this.
    05-21-2015 09:32 AM
    Has anyone found a way to use the LED notification light for notifications? It seems to only light up for me when the phone is charging.
    I am getting LED notifications without adjusting any settings
    05-21-2015 09:40 AM
    I just tested and it seems you are correct. It looks like i wasn't getting them because I either had the phone charging or on silent/ do not disturb mode. I wish it would light up on silent mode though.
    05-21-2015 10:11 AM
    A buddy of mine is having issues with his notifications as well... but I think he has Light Flow installed, and I do not think that plays well on the ZF2 at this point.
    05-21-2015 10:25 AM