Factory reset after update??

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Some people on another forum suggested doing a factory reset after receiving an factory update but unless I'm misinterpreting what they"re saying wouldn't that wipe off the update and restore the phone to how it was out of the box?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, it just wipes out anything you've downloaded or entered since you got the phone. Since the update is in the system area of the phone, it won't get touched. (If it did wipe out "the update", doing a factory reset would leave you with a dead phone, because there isn't an "original firmware" and "update" separation - the update becomes part of the firmware of the phone.)

Doing a factory reset is good if you're having flakey operation or terrible battery life after an update, and clearing the system cache (which doesn't delete any of your apps or data) doesn't fix it, but it's an extreme measure. You have to do a full backup of the phone (see Backing up an Android Device) before doing a factory reset, or you lose everything. You end up with a new, out-of-the-box phone with the update version of Android on it and all your pictures, music, contacts, notes, etc., gone.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Factory resets do not change the OS. It will delete your files, settings, and any downloaded apps on the internal memory card and reset everything back to default state but will not roll back the OS.

As far as whether to do a factory reset, if you are not experiencing any unfixable problems then there is no need. Factory resets are typically recommended after major updates (the updates you are talking about are not major updates) or like I mentioned if you are experiencing serious ongoing issues.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I'm having a little trouble clearing the cache. I get to the point where I have "recovery mode" highlighted on the screen but can't seem to get beyond that to the actual recovery menu.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm having a little trouble clearing the cache. I get to the point where I have "recovery mode" highlighted on the screen but can't seem to get beyond that to the actual recovery menu.

Press volume up or down to highlight recovery and then press power key.

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Finally got to clear the cache. When you do a search for the method you will find a few differences in the button presses. Here's the one that worked for me.
Please follow these steps and wipe partition cache.

Steps to wipe partition cache.

Wiping partition cache will resolve any conflicts caused by residual cache from the earlier firmware version.Wiping partition cache will not delete your data. However be careful while doing this procedure and do not accidentally select other options that might delete your data. Do not wipe partition cache often.

1. Switch off the phone by pressing the power button. It will show menu option to turn power off.

2. Press and hold power + volume up button . After it buzzes/vibrates twice leave the power button.

3. It will boot into bootloader mode. Toggle to Recovery mode by using the Volume rockers, by default you see Normal Mode . Select it by using the power button.

4. Then the phone will reboot and show error written with Android icon lying belly up. When you see that press and hold power button and press and release volume up button.

5. It will enter the recovery mode successfully and show several options.

6. You will get option to wipe partition cache. Use the volume rockers to move to that option.Select it by pressing the power button.It may take 10 to 15 mins to wipe it fully. Do not reboot during this process even if it takes longer.

7. Once its completed, you will see the menu again. Select reboot after that.

GhostDrive7

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
my ui completely stopped working, I had to constantly tap ok cuz the notification keeps popping up so i cant acces anything. And when i tried to do the hard reset it frozes on the android logo the droidboot logo i mean not the normal logo, plz help

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar