Just got the ZenFone 2 today!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just received it in the mail today. It was supposed to be delayed by a day but I had it held at the facility and just picked it up. Thanks again Android Central and ASUS. It was awesome if you guys to send us free phones to review.

First thing I noticed is that it came with a flip cover like the Samsung S-view cover. I really like the texture of it. It doesn't work as well as Samsung's, but it is a good cover.

Build quality looks great. The device feels really good in my hand. Very tight and no creaks whatsoever. And it came with a T-Mobile SIM. So that was also a bonus. I will write more after I play with it a while. If anyone has questions, feel free.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I was eager to test out how gaming was with it. I usually use Real Racing 3 as a measuring stick. It ran smoother than it did in my Note 4, it it still lagged a bit.

Other than that the phone seems super fast. The keyboard is a little problematic. The key layout isn't what I'm used to. But maybe in time that wouldn't be an issue either. The flip cover is nice but there is no way to control the volume when you have the item flipped open and folded over the back.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So, the phone is super fast. You can uninstall a lot of the bloat outside of the Asus stuff. I like the size of it. Feels slim, but sturdy. The back plate can be challenging yo take off.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The only game I installed so far is dungeon Hunter 5. Runs smooth as silk.

Enjoy your new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The only game I installed so far is dungeon Hunter 5. Runs smooth as silk.

Enjoy your new phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

I think that there is something wrong with the Real Racing 3 game on Android. I have yet to see it not lag on an Android device. But some devices show more lag than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The one thing that has been annoying me is that the capacitive buttons don't illuminate. So when you are in the dark, you have to guess where they are.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The Zen UI. Starting to like it. It looks really lean if that makes any sense. Super snappy and not a whole lot to it. But I'm starting to like it. About the only thing that I don't like are the icons. Everything else looks really sophisticated and and very much Lollipop.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok. You can't play graphically intense games while the phone is plugged in. It really slows down game play. When you disconnect it from the charger, games play fine.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
The Zen UI. Starting to like it. It looks really lean if that makes any sense. Super snappy and not a whole lot to it. But I'm starting to like it. About the only thing that I don't like are the icons. Everything else looks really sophisticated and and very much Lollipop.

You can install different icons packs in the settings - long press on the home screen. But be careful and do your due diligence because all but one are from non-Asus devs. So don't just install any thinking it's safe. Check permissions and read reviews, etc.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
You can install different icons packs in the settings - long press on the home screen. But be careful and do your due diligence because all but one are from non-Asus devs. So don't just install any thinking it's safe. Check permissions and read reviews, etc.
I just installed the moonshine icon pack and it seems really cool. Thanks.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The camera app is interesting. I can take a decent photo but it takes a while to focus sometimes. I like that you can take a photo from the flip cover.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So I'm glad that I have been going through all of the settings. Found the ZenUI instant update and saw that there was an update for just about all of the Zen apps. Updating all of them now.

Also wanted to note that every once in a while I will hit the home button on accident when typing and it will send me out if the application I was in. Muscle memory hasn't kicked in yet. Maybe it will be different when I get used to the size of the keyboard.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just looked at the kids mode. This is a killer feature. Locks the phone into only the apps you select and I can block incoming calls and set a time limit on it. Love this.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So I took the flip cover off and put the hard slim case I bought from Amazon on. Even though I liked the flip case I feel more comfortable with the traditional snap on case. Just put a micro SD card in it too. My first day at work with it. I'm go ing to see how it goes. I'm still having the problem of sometimes hitting the home button when I type. But hopefully I can learn to get used to that.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Made a few phone calls today. Call quality was decent. The volume is a little low, but nothing to really complain about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
So I'm still trying to decide if this device could be my daily driver. There are a lot of things that I enjoy about this smartphone. It really is a fast device. I just wish gaming was better. But I'm not sure if that's because the games aren't optimized for this chipset or that it just can't perform. But, other than that, this phone has been more than solid. I still hit the home button from time to time on accident.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
So I'm still trying to decide if this device could be my daily driver. There are a lot of things that I enjoy about this smartphone. It really is a fast device. I just wish gaming was better. But I'm not sure if that's because the games aren't optimized for this chipset or that it just can't perform. But, other than that, this phone has been more than solid. I still hit the home button from time to time on accident.

I can agree with this except for me it is the camera. It seems in the not-so-best lighting it struggles compared to my S6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37