Okay, I am a bit behind the power curve with this review but I’ve finally gotten some time to post this. I’m basing my review off of using a LG G2 alongside of the Zenfone 2.

Asus (in conjunction with the folks here at Android Central) sent me a silver version along with the Zenfone 2 Flip View Cover Deluxe. My Zenfone 2 has 4gb of RAM, a 2.3 GHz processor and 64gb of storage. I am currently with Verizon (I sometimes call them The Red Devil) and as such I had to use a T-Mobile SIM card. As soon as I removed it from the box, I charged the battery completely – it actually had 72 percent according to the display when I plugged it in but I wanted a full charge - I didn’t time how long it took to reach full capacity though. Once it was full I turned it on and it booted rather quickly and immediately indicated an update was available. It seems there was an update (192.79mb) ready and it took right about 7 minutes to finish and reboot. I was sitting at my home desk and had full bars of Wi-Fi during the process.

Like others have mentioned, I went to remove the back and let me tell you – it was on tight. I was really pulling on the back cover and though for sure I was going to break it but it did come off without any damage. I noticed the back has a larger “lip” than other doors I have removed, such as the S3/4/5/ and G2/3. The back is plastic but has a nice feel to it and it has the look of brushed metal. Overall the device has a nice solid build to it. I didn’t’ have any issues with any type of noises, squeaks, etc. I found the Zenfone 2 to feel pretty comfortable in the hand and didn’t feel any sharp edges or anything like that. I stepped away from Samsung after the S5 and have dabbled with LG now for a while and I do like the back placed buttons. Yes, it does take a minute to get used to them but once you do, you’ll like how easy they are.

The Zenfone 2 comes with many apps pre-installed and like many of you, I disable and/or remove the ones I wouldn’t have any use for. Asus incorporates “Apps4U” and has a few inside the icon such as Clean Master, 50+ Games, Dr. Safety, etc. Pretty easy to disable what you don’t want to use just like with any other Android. The first time you access the app list, you are given a tutorial on how to change, move apps. Again, nothing out of the ordinary here.

The display is certainly okay for my old(er) eyes and didn’t see any issues with it. That being said, you can tell the display isn’t as crisp as other higher end devices. The brightness setting usually stays on auto for me but I did crank this one all the way up and while it is bright, it’s not overbearing. That being said, you won’t be able (and I couldn’t) to see the display very well in the sunlight. The back/home/return keys do not light up and while not a deal breaker for me, it is weird not seeing them light up. But if you’ve used Android for some times, you know where they are but if someone was new, I could see this being an issue. The double tap is a nice touch and it was more responsive than the G4. I sometimes have to double tap the G4 many times before it responds but hopefully a tweak will solve that issue.

Call quality using the ear piece as well as the speakerphone was spot on with zero concerns. No one complained about muffled sound, hard to hear me, or anything along those lines. Verizon has this “HD” calling thing but didn’t see any change from the norm.
    The Wi-Fi and Data connections were pretty decent and the WI-FI would disconnect and reconnect without issues. I used SpeedTest and the test sent me to a Tallahassee server but I pulled consistent 18-21mb speeds. Granted this is area that is always subjective and dependent on many factors.

Bluetooth connected to my Sony SBH80 and LG Tone without any hiccups or issues. Call quality was good as well. While I like my music my way, the Sony’s are my go to for that, but again you may like something else. I dabbled with the GPS while driving (although I have factory nav in my truck) and it was right on target. I didn’t experience any heating issues or large battery drain but I only used it about thirty minutes.

Battery life – another subjective concern. I have always said I do not cripple my device in order to achieve the best possible battery life. I can’t understand the need to turn the brightness down or disable Wi-Fi or anything else to get more life. That being said, I simply make preparations to have an external power source if I know I’m not going to be able to get juice if I need it. More and more manufactures are going with the sealed battery - I’d rather pop in a fresh battery versus charging but that’s the way it is. I was able to get a full day out of a charge. I don’t find myself being a heavy user but I do text and message more than actually calls. I check the weather, news and AC forums throughout the day and will charge while sleeping. Obviously the more you use the device, the quicker the need for more juice. The Droid Turbo I had for a while really rocked the battery!!

While I am not a photo expert by any means, as long as the pic I am taking is in focus is fine by me. A phone camera is not meant to (nor ever will) take the place of a dedicated camera. I found the Zenfone 2 took okay pics but did have a low light issue. They came out okay, but have used other devices where they were better. Most of the pics I take are outdoors, at the beach, etc so I don’t have any issues with it. I normally (okay mostly) have the camera set to “auto” and let it do its thing but I can really see the difference between the Zenfone 2 and the G4. 

I think I’ve hit just about everything. I really like the double tap to sleep and wake the device – this should be a standard on every device. The 100gb storage from Google was a nice touch too.

Overall, I think Asus has a great phone for their first device. Can it be expanded on? Absolutely. If I used T-Mobile or AT&T as my dedicated carrier, I wouldn’t hesitate to use this as a daily driver. The price point is good too.

Let’s see what Asus brings to the table with their next device.

By all means, please let me know if you have any questions.
    planoman, jdbii and Guytronic like this.
    06-20-2015 01:16 PM
    Just wanted to ask u this question.... That is, is it worth spending on this phone or should I go for an older flagship like moto x 2014 (S5 is too bad and G3,Z3 are still out of my budget) or flagship killers like oneplus one, Mi4?? One thing that moto X 2014 lacks is customer satisfaction.

The front panel or screen of the moto x 2014 itself costs the same as the phone, atleast in India.....

& by the way, nice review.... Liked the simplicity of ur writing.
    ibcop likes this.
    06-20-2015 01:35 PM
    Okay, I am a bit behind the power curve with this review but I’ve finally gotten some time to post this. I’m basing my review off of using a LG G2 alongside of the Zenfone 2.

Asus (in conjunction with the folks here at Android Central) sent me a silver version along with the Zenfone 2 Flip View Cover Deluxe. My Zenfone 2 has 4gb of RAM, a 2.3 GHz processor and 64gb of storage. I am currently with Verizon (I sometimes call them The Red Devil) and as such I had to use a T-Mobile SIM card. As soon as I removed it from the box, I charged the battery completely – it actually had 72 percent according to the display when I plugged it in but I wanted a full charge - I didn’t time how long it took to reach full capacity though. Once it was full I turned it on and it booted rather quickly and immediately indicated an update was available. It seems there was an update (192.79mb) ready and it took right about 7 minutes to finish and reboot. I was sitting at my home desk and had full bars of Wi-Fi during the process.

Like others have mentioned, I went to remove the back and let me tell you – it was on tight. I was really pulling on the back cover and though for sure I was going to break it but it did come off without any damage. I noticed the back has a larger “lip” than other doors I have removed, such as the S3/4/5/ and G2/3. The back is plastic but has a nice feel to it and it has the look of brushed metal. Overall the device has a nice solid build to it. I didn’t’ have any issues with any type of noises, squeaks, etc. I found the Zenfone 2 to feel pretty comfortable in the hand and didn’t feel any sharp edges or anything like that. I stepped away from Samsung after the S5 and have dabbled with LG now for a while and I do like the back placed buttons. Yes, it does take a minute to get used to them but once you do, you’ll like how easy they are.

The Zenfone 2 comes with many apps pre-installed and like many of you, I disable and/or remove the ones I wouldn’t have any use for. Asus incorporates “Apps4U” and has a few inside the icon such as Clean Master, 50+ Games, Dr. Safety, etc. Pretty easy to disable what you don’t want to use just like with any other Android. The first time you access the app list, you are given a tutorial on how to change, move apps. Again, nothing out of the ordinary here.

The display is certainly okay for my old(er) eyes and didn’t see any issues with it. That being said, you can tell the display isn’t as crisp as other higher end devices. The brightness setting usually stays on auto for me but I did crank this one all the way up and while it is bright, it’s not overbearing. That being said, you won’t be able (and I couldn’t) to see the display very well in the sunlight. The back/home/return keys do not light up and while not a deal breaker for me, it is weird not seeing them light up. But if you’ve used Android for some times, you know where they are but if someone was new, I could see this being an issue. The double tap is a nice touch and it was more responsive than the G4. I sometimes have to double tap the G4 many times before it responds but hopefully a tweak will solve that issue.

Call quality using the ear piece as well as the speakerphone was spot on with zero concerns. No one complained about muffled sound, hard to hear me, or anything along those lines. Verizon has this “HD” calling thing but didn’t see any change from the norm.
    The Wi-Fi and Data connections were pretty decent and the WI-FI would disconnect and reconnect without issues. I used SpeedTest and the test sent me to a Tallahassee server but I pulled consistent 18-21mb speeds. Granted this is area that is always subjective and dependent on many factors.

Bluetooth connected to my Sony SBH80 and LG Tone without any hiccups or issues. Call quality was good as well. While I like my music my way, the Sony’s are my go to for that, but again you may like something else. I dabbled with the GPS while driving (although I have factory nav in my truck) and it was right on target. I didn’t experience any heating issues or large battery drain but I only used it about thirty minutes.

Battery life – another subjective concern. I have always said I do not cripple my device in order to achieve the best possible battery life. I can’t understand the need to turn the brightness down or disable Wi-Fi or anything else to get more life. That being said, I simply make preparations to have an external power source if I know I’m not going to be able to get juice if I need it. More and more manufactures are going with the sealed battery - I’d rather pop in a fresh battery versus charging but that’s the way it is. I was able to get a full day out of a charge. I don’t find myself being a heavy user but I do text and message more than actually calls. I check the weather, news and AC forums throughout the day and will charge while sleeping. Obviously the more you use the device, the quicker the need for more juice. The Droid Turbo I had for a while really rocked the battery!!

While I am not a photo expert by any means, as long as the pic I am taking is in focus is fine by me. A phone camera is not meant to (nor ever will) take the place of a dedicated camera. I found the Zenfone 2 took okay pics but did have a low light issue. They came out okay, but have used other devices where they were better. Most of the pics I take are outdoors, at the beach, etc so I don’t have any issues with it. I normally (okay mostly) have the camera set to “auto” and let it do its thing but I can really see the difference between the Zenfone 2 and the G4. 

I think I’ve hit just about everything. I really like the double tap to sleep and wake the device – this should be a standard on every device. The 100gb storage from Google was a nice touch too.

Overall, I think Asus has a great phone for their first device. Can it be expanded on? Absolutely. If I used T-Mobile or AT&T as my dedicated carrier, I wouldn’t hesitate to use this as a daily driver. The price point is good too.

Let’s see what Asus brings to the table with their next device.

By all means, please let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks for the detailed review!

Posted via my Galaxy S6!
    ibcop likes this.
    06-20-2015 01:40 PM
    Just wanted to ask u this question.... That is, is it worth spending on this phone or should I go for an older flagship like moto x 2014 (S5 is too bad and G3,Z3 are still out of my budget) or flagship killers like oneplus one, Mi4?? One thing that moto X 2014 lacks is customer satisfaction.

The front panel or screen of the moto x 2014 itself costs the same as the phone, atleast in India.....

& by the way, nice review.... Liked the simplicity of ur writing.
    You're going to have to be the final say in what device you get. I really like the Zenfone 2 and have used the S5 and G3. I'm somewhat bored with Samsung and went with LG for something different. The way I understand things is the Moto X (2014) lacks on battery and camera. Highly recommend you at least put all your choices in your hand and give them a test run in the store. Go with what will suit your needs the best.

Good luck!!
    Megsh likes this.
    06-20-2015 02:42 PM
    Great review. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2
    ibcop likes this.
    06-21-2015 01:34 AM