Hi all! I've been using the Asus Zenfone 2 for over 3 weeks now, and I gotta say, it's pretty amazing...especially for the price. Maybe part of it has to do with the fact that my previous phone was a first gen Moto G. But even then, I know in my heart that there is still room for improvement!

What brings me joy:
    1) Speed - It's so fast...from turning on, turning off, to rebooting. No issues whatsoever. I also like how there's a boost option on the dropdown menu to help clear out some space.

2) Appearance -I love how the back is curved, making it easy to hold in my hand. The chrome-style hairline chassis gives it a classy look despite the fact that it is indeed plastic. I've read mixed reviews about the display, but I think it's beeeautiful. It may not be some LED looking device, but the colors are vivid and game graphics look great.

3) The boost-charging works as advertised - For a smartphone battery, I'd say this one dies quickly. I was stuck in jury duty the other week for about 5 hours. By hour 3 I was struggling to keep it alive. Yeah, I did play Mortal Kombat for a good bit (like an hour or so) , but still... it went down to about 10%, and I needed the GPS to take me home. When I got home, it was at 3%. So I stuck it in the charger for 30 minutes and Bam! 40%. It was magic.

4) The camera works very well in broad daylight. The colors aren't washed out, but are actually nicely exaggerated.

Attachment 183123
    Attachment 183124

5) The Built-in weather widget - This may not wow any of you, but I love how it tells me the UV rating for the day. Being Asian, I don't tan very well at all. And I have to be extra careful when going outside and wearing sunscreen or I'll start sizzling..

6) PC link - For a while, I couldn't think of any reason this would be beneficial to me. But I really like to use it when I'm doing work on the computer and you want respond to texts at the same time. This way, you don't have to keep grabbing your phone every second. You just reply right on the computer screen.

What I think Asus can improve on for the next gen:

1) The power and volume buttons placement - feels totally awkward. For phablet this size, I would definitely prefer side buttons.

2) Battery life - it discharges quickly. Would like to see if they can make it where you don't have to charge it every day. I personally have to charge twice a day just from periodically checking social media, emails, and web browsing.

3) The Low light Camera Setting turned out to NOT be the answer to my prayers. I tried..really hard to make it work, but to me it simply brightens the image, and the quality is not presentable at all.

Here is a picture of my sushi dinner where the table was lit by a single candle
    Attachment 183131
    Here, the cheesecake is visible, but not super vivid.
    Attachment 183132

I guess I got hyped over it because that was their main ball pitch. And unfortunately, it did not deliver for me

For $299, you can't beat this phone. However, if I were to glance at one that is comparable, I would say the Sony Xperia Z2 packs a punch. For ~$70 more, you get better battery life, better display, and a 20 mp back-facing camera, with the only sacrifice being the 2.2 mp front-facing camera. Overall, I'm very happy with the Zenfone 2, and I want to thank Android Central and Asus immensely for this amazing opportunity!
    06-23-2015 09:55 AM
    What are your thought on the size adjustment from the G to the ZF?
    06-23-2015 10:14 AM
    Hi all! I've been using the Asus Zenfone 2 for over 3 weeks now, and I gotta say, it's pretty amazing...especially for the price. Maybe part of it has to do with the fact that my previous phone was a first gen Moto G. But even then, I know in my heart that there is still room for improvement!

What brings me joy:
    1) Speed - It's so fast...from turning on, turning off, to rebooting. No issues whatsoever. I also like how there's a boost option on the dropdown menu to help clear out some space.

2) Appearance -I love how the back is curved, making it easy to hold in my hand. The chrome-style hairline chassis gives it a classy look despite the fact that it is indeed plastic. I've read mixed reviews about the display, but I think it's beeeautiful. It may not be some LED looking device, but the colors are vivid and game graphics look great.

3) The boost-charging works as advertised - For a smartphone battery, I'd say this one dies quickly. I was stuck in jury duty the other week for about 5 hours. By hour 3 I was struggling to keep it alive. Yeah, I did play Mortal Kombat for a good bit (like an hour or so) , but still... it went down to about 10%, and I needed the GPS to take me home. When I got home, it was at 3%. So I stuck it in the charger for 30 minutes and Bam! 40%. It was magic.

4) The camera works very well in broad daylight. The colors aren't washed out, but are actually nicely exaggerated.

Attachment 183123
    Attachment 183124

5) The Built-in weather widget - This may not wow any of you, but I love how it tells me the UV rating for the day. Being Asian, I don't tan very well at all. And I have to be extra careful when going outside and wearing sunscreen or I'll start sizzling..

6) PC link - For a while, I couldn't think of any reason this would be beneficial to me. But I really like to use it when I'm doing work on the computer and you want respond to texts at the same time. This way, you don't have to keep grabbing your phone every second. You just reply right on the computer screen.

What I think Asus can improve on for the next gen:

1) The power and volume buttons placement - feels totally awkward. For phablet this size, I would definitely prefer side buttons.

2) Battery life - it discharges quickly. Would like to see if they can make it where you don't have to charge it every day. I personally have to charge twice a day just from periodically checking social media, emails, and web browsing.

3) The Low light Camera Setting turned out to NOT be the answer to my prayers. I tried..really hard to make it work, but to me it simply brightens the image, and the quality is not presentable at all.

Here is a picture of my sushi dinner where the table was lit by a single candle
    Attachment 183131
    Here, the cheesecake is visible, but not super vivid.
    Attachment 183132

I guess I got hyped over it because that was their main ball pitch. And unfortunately, it did not deliver for me

For $299, you can't beat this phone. However, if I were to glance at one that is comparable, I would say the Sony Xperia Z2 packs a punch. For ~$70 more, you get better battery life, better display, and a 20 mp back-facing camera, with the only sacrifice being the 2.2 mp front-facing camera. Overall, I'm very happy with the Zenfone 2, and I want to thank Android Central and Asus immensely for this amazing opportunity!
    Nice review. I had a Z2 and like the ZF2 UI better and it is more durable. Just a matter of time before the flaps leak or break off? And the 16GB of internal storage is pretty weak although you can use an micro sd card.

Also did not know asians did not tan? Lol!

Posted via my Galaxy S6!
    kit_cat3000 likes this.
    06-23-2015 01:11 PM
    Hey Golfdriver97! For me, I still prefer the dimensions of the Moto G simply because I find it more grab-able and easier to hold in the hand. The only downside is that you can't play games on it or watch movies ~ too small. My hands aren't very big, so I've dropped my Zenfone about three times already. But yeah, it depends on what you use your phone for the most. The ZF2 is big, but I can get used to it.
    06-24-2015 09:43 AM
    planoman Yeah, I thought about those flaps too. They didn't look very promising lol.

And as for Asians tanning, some can and I can't haha.
    planoman likes this.
    06-24-2015 09:47 AM
    Hey Golfdriver97! It depends on what you do on your phone. I love streaming media and gaming, so for me the zf2 screen rocks! But I gotta admit, the Moto G is more grab-able and easier to hold in the hand. My hands aren't so big, so I've dropped my Zf2 around 3 times already
    06-24-2015 09:51 AM
    I thought I would have issues with having the buttons at the back as well. As it turns out, it is the best placement for them I really enjoy not accidentally pushing the buttons while holding my phone.
    GrooveRite and texla like this.
    06-24-2015 02:06 PM
    Hey Golfdriver97! For me, I still prefer the dimensions of the Moto G simply because I find it more grab-able and easier to hold in the hand. The only downside is that you can't play games on it or watch movies ~ too small. My hands aren't very big, so I've dropped my Zenfone about three times already. But yeah, it depends on what you use your phone for the most. The ZF2 is big, but I can get used to it.

What happend when u dropped ur phone?? It got broke or its still working??
    06-25-2015 02:12 AM
    Haha, it still works. No scratches yet
    06-25-2015 08:20 PM
    Wow.... That's really nice of this phone. This was concerning me a bit as today's phone are so fragile that once u drop it, its gone forever and their LCD screens costs as much as the phone. For e.g. Oneplus one, Moto x 2nd gen
    06-26-2015 07:43 AM