Asus apps

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Just got this phone several days ago. It required an update on startup. Yesterday I received about updates of Asus apps on the play store. The majority of these I don't use probably never will. I have gone to the apps and I can disable lots but not remove.
Is it possible to remove them, things like music, collagemaker etc. If I disable them and uncheck "show notifications" will I still continue to get updates? I found on my nexus and Samsung tablet I would still get updates even with the box unchecked.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You would have to root your phone to remove apps that do not have an uninstall option. You will still see updates in the play store for apps that you have notifications turned off. That only turns off the status bar/notification pulldown notifications. Apps that are disabled properly should not get updates however.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
How do you disable apps "properly". Pretty well all the apps have a disable box that does nothing. The only app I was able to get listed in disabled apps is "Mywater"

I keep getting notifications from Clean Master the latest being that Facebook is wasting battery as it opened itself 7 times in 10 minutes. I don't like apps that I use infrequently opening unless I want to use them. Cannot figure out how to stop Facebook. Anyone got any ideas.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You're contradicting yourself so that makes it more difficult to help you. Yesterday you said pretty much all the apps allow you to disable them. Now you're saying the opposite. Which is it?

I know Clean Master can be disabled because I have it disabled with no problem since the day I got the phone and so have others on here. What model and firmware do you have? I have the 551ML with 2.19.40.22 (and it's worked on all firmware on this model). Facebook can be completely uninstalled. I don't remember if it even came loaded on the phone but if it did I uninstalled it.

The way to disable apps that allow disabling so that they do not appear as updates in the Play Store is to first uninstall any updates they've had. Then force stop the app. Then clear data. Then clear cache. Finally, disable.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
You're contradicting yourself so that makes it more difficult to help you. Yesterday you said pretty much all the apps allow you to disable them. Now you're saying the opposite. Which is it?

I know Clean Master can be disabled because I have it disabled with no problem since the day I got the phone and so have others on here. What model and firmware do you have? I have the 551ML with 2.19.40.22 (and it's worked on all firmware on this model). Facebook can be completely uninstalled. I don't remember if it even came loaded on the phone but if it did I uninstalled it.

The way to disable apps that allow disabling so that they do not appear as updates in the Play Store is to first uninstall any updates they've had. Then force stop the app. Then clear data. Then clear cache. Finally, disable.
Sorry about the contradiction I assume when I pressed disable button and it went clear it was disable but I guess not as it doesn't show up as disabled. Tried your method and still don't get them under disabled.

Facebook didn't come loaded I put it on. My question was how to get it to only working when I want it to, don't want it calling home every minute.

rcloke91

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about the contradiction I assume when I pressed disable button and it went clear it was disable but I guess not as it doesn't show up as disabled. Tried your method and still don't get them under disabled.

Facebook didn't come loaded I put it on. My question was how to get it to only working when I want it to, don't want it calling home every minute.

There's no real way to easily manage the Facebook app. If you just want to check Facebook when you want it to, then you're best off using the website.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Facebook has always been a particularly poorly written app, and in addition to that, Facebook wants its app to always be running on your phone so they purposely have not optimized it. If you are not someone who wants instant notifications from facebook every minute of the day, it really is best to uninstall it and use your phone's web browser to log in just when you want to.

Now you could try an app like Greenify that allows you to "hibernate" apps when you are not using them. For full use of Greenify you'd need root access but you can still manually use it without root. Can't guarantee you how that would work with the facebook app since I never install that app so just saying it's a possibility. If you try it, don't get carried away with hibernating things because you will find it actually eats up more battery even though it's supposed to save battery. Don't have time now to explain why that is here.

As for the apps you are trying to disable, it sounds like you were trying to disable apps that actually don't have that function available. If the Disable button looks "clear" like you said, that means the option is not available and the only way you could disable or uninstall it is to root your phone.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
You can use Auto-start Manager app and 'Deny' Facebook app from auto-starting. However once you launch Facebook it will continue running. You can always log out from the app, but will still be running in the background unless you force stop the app.

Sincerely
ASUS_USA

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
You can use Auto-start Manager app and 'Deny' Facebook app from auto-starting. However once you launch Facebook it will continue running. You can always log out from the app, but will still be running in the background unless you force stop the app.

Sincerely
ASUS_USA

Thanks, I think I will just remove the app and use my Browser if I want to check FB