Zenfone 2. Vibrating a few times every minute while charging [when on AND off]!

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks,

Ok, so I've had the phone a day now and whilst charging, the damned thing keeps RANDOMLY vibrating a few times every minute when charging when powered up AND when it's charging while off! Each time it vibrates, the screen comes alive,. (while the phone is charging when on, I get the Swipe To Unlock screen and when it's off, I get the Battery Charging graphic). What POSSIBLE reason could there be for it to do this?!

Now, I know I made an absolute howler of a rookie error in my other post why my phone wouldn't connect to the net to sort out my Google account,.. (I just rebooted my modem and it worked, I'm sorry. Foolish mistake. lol),.. but THIS issue seems completely the strangest thing I haver ever encountered with a phone.

I can't see a reason why it would need to do it. Phone is not using wifi when switched off, (charging), I have only my 2G SIM card, (2nd slot) active,.. apart from that, I have no idea what might be a factor. Most of the vibrates are the short, weak ones, but then in slightly rarer instances, the phone vibrates more strongly for a second or so. It's done this contantly since I first plugged it in to charge.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it just a Lollipop 5.0 bug or is it a 'feature' of some sort or is it that I'm using a mini-USB charge cable that the phone doesn't like, (I'm using a fairly expensive, braided, mini-USB cable)? Should I be using the USB cable that came with the phone and using it from my mains instead of my USB 2.0 port from my PC?

I can't see what else it could be that's causing it to ramdonly vibrate as often as it is. Oh, I have seen in google searches people talking of a vibrate/sound happening when the battery fully charges,.. but my phone's vibrating, (and turning on my screen every time), when the phone's charging, but at the time of typing this, I have yet to notice if it's vibrating at all when the phone's fully completed a charge - I'll edit this when/if I notice if it does the vibrating after the phone's been fully charged.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

asus_usa

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dear OneOffCharlie74,

The symptom described usually indicates the mini USB cable is not making a proper connection or possibly the cable is defective. We recommend using genuine ASUS AC adapter and USB cable. Please see the following support page to see our best practice guide for first time usage on our ASUS Android mobile devices - Very important best practice guide for first time usage on our Asus Android mobile devices (cellular phones & tablets).    

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me direct at cl-frank@asus.com. Please include a link to this review when/if responding.

Sincerely,
Frank
ASUS_USA

supkam

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi Oneoffcharlie,

Make sure you are on the latest FOTA version.
Factory reset your device.
If the issue persist, visit the service center.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Hello Asus,

I presume that my PC's USB 2.0 port just doesn't have the 'juice', (500mA?), to charge the phone efficiently and that the vibrating must be a warning or a hint of said presumption.

Since, I have instead used the electric plug / USB charger to charge the phone and it appears to not only charge faster, (higher mA and wattage, right?), but the vibrations have ceased too. :)

While I'm here, on an unrelated yet disappointing note, the seller, (ilastore-eu on Amazon, who ceased trading on Amazon (UK) during the transit of my phone from Germany, Amazon kindly refunded me my money for the phone because of this issue I'm about to mention), sold me a CN model which while apparently new, had been flashed or rooted with WW,.. and as a result the phone doesn't have the OTA feature, (to upgrade the OS through OTA from Lollipop 5.0 to anything higher/newer).

In the handful of days or so since I got the phone, I've had a boot issue; one afternoon it refused to shut down properly and subsequently refused to turn on for 20mins or so. I also saw some minor instances of the screen flickering on the homescreen, but yes, really, apart from that, it's been nice to use. I tried twice to get the official WW model, it's just a pity this second attempt is not the official WW model - the first phone I got, (and very promptly returned), was CN, despite the UK-based Ebay seller ADVERTISING it as WW. :'(

Pity it's so hard to be SURE of getting the official WW model. :confused:

I'm probably going to invest in another of the USB 3-pin UK plug chargers for my logistical needs, as it appears to do the job just fine. It's a pity my phone doesn't have the OS OTA feature though, as that was the main reason I bought it so I could keep it updated and see/use the OS improvements. C'est la vie. :-\

Thanks for getting back to me, it's very much appreciated.

BrightonCorgi

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I have this issue as well and after reading Frank's post... For me it is the USB to wall adapter causing the issue, not the USB cable. I am using an old iPhone one that was causing havoc. I tried an iPhone 6 wall adapter with USB cable and it works fine. I doubt it is the cable itself as I had the same positive and negative result with multiple cables.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante