Android 6.0

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been suspecting that ASUS won't release 6.0 for the Zenfone 2 variants that have the Atom processor. The chatter on the ZenTalk forums has mostly been negative. Some people have mentioned being beta testers, but beta testing for this long is usually a bad sign.

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
We finally got the love yesterday! I manually loaded the update on mine (since OTA seems to be flaky for folks right now) and like what I see so far. Very snappy (even a bit more so than before), less bloat, and the system settings are somewhat better in my opinion...so far, so good.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well poo. Got the September security patch, but no M. Is this what people are talking about with update problems?

ratpakk2

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I only got the security update this morning. I also went ahead and downloaded the update off of the ASUS website. So far so good. I hope the doze mode will improve battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
So I got an update today but am still on 5.0 so assume it was just a security patch mentioned.

Screenshot of my about page attached. Model is ASUS_Z00AD is this model one that is being updated?

asus.jpg

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 57

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes. ZE551ML = Z00AD. It's not seeming very different, thus far, but I'm home sick so it's not like it's had much chance to Doze...

It does undo some settings, including the ones in the camera app, and I had to update Play Services. Also had to uninstall/reinstall Chrome cause it didn't work after the update. Otherwise pretty smooth sailing.

ETA: The lowest setting on the brightness slider is not as dim as it was pre update.

Also ETA: The ability to have a guest mode or add a user appears to have vanished, although it's still there on my Nexus 5.

Last edited:

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they specifically disabled multi-user for whatever reason. What that is, I have no idea. Doze seems to be pretty decent so far, though I don't like the "battery-draining app" notifications. Yeah, Google App is persistent, Asus. That's why it works so well. The notification management seems good, at least.

I have noticed that battery management is much better overall, though. It seems to drain more slowly under active use, which is really nice.

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
So I got an update today but am still on 5.0 so assume it was just a security patch mentioned.

Screenshot of my about page attached. Model is ASUS_Z00AD is this model one that is being updated?

View attachment 238273

It seems like OTA M updates may be suspended, but the manual method still works. At least the security update is pushing (my wife just got it yesterday...she hasn't asked for the M update yet).

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Wowzers.

Sooo...we no longer can move apps to the SD card, I'm losing my Asus email box (which worked fine for me) and various other things are disappearing. So how is updating to this a "win"? Seems like a step back.