Why am i getting a question mark instead of the battery percentage?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've had my ASUS Zenfone 2 for 3 years now and I've never changed the battery but a couple of days ago when I plugged my phone in I noticed a question mark appear instead of the battery percentage. Has anyone had this problem before?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this when the phone is powered off, and you're seeing the battery icon appear in the middle of the screen? Or is this when the phone is on, and you're talking about the battery icon in the status bar? Does the battery actually charge normally? Is it discharging abnormally quickly?

Dobi123

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is this when the phone is powered off, and you're seeing the battery icon appear in the middle of the screen? Or is this when the phone is on, and you're talking about the battery icon in the status bar? Does the battery actually charge normally? Is it discharging abnormally quickly?

Its on the status bar and the battery charges very slowly it was plugged in for a couple of hours and it only charged to about 15 percent and when i unplluged it it lasted for about a minute and then it turned off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be a problem with the charger, the charging cable, the port, or a failing battery. The first thing to try would be a different charging plug and cable.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, next step is to make sure the charging port is completely clean. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out, and a small Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to bring it to a repair shop.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Bring it back to the repair shop and ask them to reassess the situation. Since they were clearly wrong, hopefully they won't charge you again for the evaluation.

I'd wonder about the charging port, or possibly the charging circuits connecting the port to the battery.

Dobi123

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Something I forgot to mention is that I have to twist the usb cable for the phone to charge and I've tried this with 3 different chargers also it looks like the phone cant charge past 1 percent

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Three different charging wall plugs or three different charging cables? If it happens with different cables, then I'd guess the problem involves the charge port. Twisting the cable might improve some loose internal connection temporarily.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Something I forgot to mention is that I have to twist the usb cable for the phone to charge
Old thread, but his is definitely a loose charging port. If you had mentioned that to the shop and they didn't tell you that it needed the charging port resoldered or replaced, never bring a phone back to them. They're a sales shop, not a repair shop. (This is as much a diagnostic tool as bringing a storm windoe with broken glass to a storm door repair shop would be. It's painfully obvious that the glass has to be replaced, right? If you have o twist or position a charging cab;e to get it to work, it's just as obvious that one of the pins on the port isn't still soldered in.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20