Where's all the buzz

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
As nice as this phone looks and as high as the specs are, I'm curious where all the discussion are about it.

Seems to me that this might be a great phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I think folks are waiting for a definitive release date in the US, that way reviews will get units to test out, they'll publish reviews, and we'll have more to talk about. There's only so much we can discuss when they've just released specs so far.

I'm personally waiting for the Zenfone 3 Ultra, so I know what you mean. I'm hoping Western release dates get announced next month at IFA, since that's the next big trade show.

BBurg_16827

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
It's not a Samsung or LG so the hype around this phone is smaller than most. I'm starting to like this phone vs the pixel xl. It's specs are on par or better than what pixel is offering. If those specs are daydream really, I'll be shocked if the zenfone 3 se deluxe isn't daydream compatible.

phelme

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I was interested in the basic Zenfone 3's until I found out they didn't have NFC. Have to go up to the Zenfone 3 Deluxe for that.

And in case anyone wants to know what the differences are between the ZS570KL and ZS550KL, I found this link.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm keeping my eye in this phone too. I'm looking to upgrade and this phone looks interesting. The specs are good, but so are the specs in any other flagship phone. The usual things will determine whether this ends up being a good phone or not, such as: battery life, is the UI any good?, will it get regular updates, is the camera software any good? etc. Good specs and hardware are one thing, but it's the other things that can determine whether a phone is good or not, and it's those things that have let Asus down in the past. Have they really totally upped their game with this phone? Or have they merely made a phone with good specs that hasn't been optimised well? I guess we will find out soon. The expensive price means that it will have to be a very very good phone to sell well.

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Decided to pre-order the 64GB 5.7 Deluxe from ASUS directly for US. Should be shipping on 10/26.

I suspect some buzz would die down when it takes 3-4 months to ship to the rest of the globe. Even I completely forgot about it until I randomly came across a post mentioning ASUS finally had US availability.

Otherwise, bit concerned about smaller battery and quality control. Still looks very interesting on paper though. And hey, at least it's not $800+. So it's got that going for it. :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Decided to pre-order the 64GB 5.7 Deluxe from ASUS directly for US. Should be shipping on 10/26.

I suspect some buzz would die down when it takes 3-4 months to ship to the rest of the globe. Even I completely forgot about it until I randomly came across a post mentioning ASUS finally had US availability.

Otherwise, bit concerned about smaller battery and quality control. Still looks very interesting on paper though. And hey, at least it's not $800+. So it's got that going for it. :)

Post your thoughts after you've had it for a few days. I'm very interested in the deluxe version!

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Post your thoughts after you've had it for a few days. I'm very interested in the deluxe version!

You bet! Got overnight shipping as well. Still using my trusty work-issued S7 Active. Love it, but I need more screen. Already had a couple phones that have failed. I either keep running into unacceptable issues, or I just get bored with them. Just ask my recent OnePlus 3, N6/6P, and Axon 7. So sad.

Besides, with so many cool sounding names for all of those Zenfone Deluxe features, it's gotta be awesome!

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I tried to order from ASUS but my credit card company didn't like their website and refused to authorize the sale. Then locked up my CC.:'(

After calling CC company to get my card unlocked, I decided to order the phone from Newegg instead.

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I tried to order from ASUS but my credit card company didn't like their website and refused to authorize the sale. Then locked up my CC.:'(

After calling CC company to get my card unlocked, I decided to order the phone from Newegg instead.

Interesting, had the same issue with my CC. Was able to respond to e-mail warning from CC company to let them know it was OK, resubmitted order, then it went through. Must be because they're located overseas or something, not well known.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Went to the US Asus website, not a word on there about a release / for sale date. The 3 Deluxe sounds like a nice phone the only 2 items that concern me are, 1) the hidden antennas, great looking but is this thing going to have a horrible cell signal strength, and 2) a 5.7" screen with a 3000 mah battery.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Went to the US Asus website, not a word on there about a release / for sale date. The 3 Deluxe sounds like a nice phone the only 2 items that concern me are, 1) the hidden antennas, great looking but is this thing going to have a horrible cell signal strength, and 2) a 5.7" screen with a 3000 mah battery.

1.) Time will tell but hopefully it has good reception.

2.) Screen is 1080p so it won't be a battery hog like a 4k screen. Should be fine battery wise.

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I think the battery will be adequate at best. At least in my expected real-world use where brightness is up and all radios are enabled.

Concern will be everything else that is an unknown. So yeah, cell reception, buggy software, camera, build quality, etc.

If it's not as good or better than something like a OnePlus 3 or ZTE Axon 7, then it's going back for sure. Gotta keep price in mind.

Last edited:

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok spent some time looking up specs, the 1080 screen is fine with me, first I'm getting old my eyes can not see that big a difference between FHD 1080 and QHD, plus the 1080 will be a little easier on battery life, I was happy to see, according to GSM ARENA, anyway, that the Zenfone 3 deluxe supports every LTE band AT&T uses and also 29, and 30, which I believe are already in the process of turning on. That makes me feel a little more confident about the "hidden" antenna placement. After poking around on a few sites I assume the US version is going to start shipping sometime in the beginning of November. I guess I'm getting close to making up my mind because now I'm looking out there to see what's available in cases. :)

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok spent some time looking up specs, the 1080 screen is fine with me, first I'm getting old my eyes can not see that big a difference between FHD 1080 and QHD, plus the 1080 will be a little easier on battery life, I was happy to see, according to GSM ARENA, anyway, that the Zenfone 3 deluxe supports every LTE band AT&T uses and also 29, and 30, which I believe are already in the process of turning on. That makes me feel a little more confident about the "hidden" antenna placement. After poking around on a few sites I assume the US version is going to start shipping sometime in the beginning of November. I guess I'm getting close to making up my mind because now I'm looking out there to see what's available in cases. :)
Check out Amazon for cases. If the Glacier Silver looks like the pictures, I will be getting a clear TPU case. I pre-ordered the Zenfone 3 Deluxe and LG V20 and will probably receive both around the same time. Plan on doing side by side comparisons and seeing if the V20 is worth the $250 extra..

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Check out Amazon for cases. If the Glacier Silver looks like the pictures, I will be getting a clear TPU case. I pre-ordered the Zenfone 3 Deluxe and LG V20 and will probably receive both around the same time. Plan on doing side by side comparisons and seeing if the V20 is worth the $250 extra..

Thanks, yes I was looking around on Amazon at cases, not a lot to pick from, the clear TPU is probably the best with the silver phone, I'm partial to Spigen and Diztronic cases but unless this phone get really popular, I don't think they will be making any.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yes I was looking around on Amazon at cases, not a lot to pick from, the clear TPU is probably the best with the silver phone, I'm partial to Spigen and Diztronic cases but unless this phone get really popular, I don't think they will be making any.

That seems to be the problem with all unlocked phones. Fewer case and accessory options.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't seem to be much interest on here for this phone, I've signed up to be notified on the Asus US website for availability, it says pre order in 5 days. I use a lot of Asus parts and components at work, never had any problems with them, and this phone just caught my eye, I like the specs, really do not care that the display is 1080 p, I've owned both 1080 and QHD and honestly really can't tell the difference, plus if you order from Asus web store they have a 30 day return policy. I have no concerns about this phone but one, I am hoping that with all the frequencies and LTE bands that it has that cell phone coverage will be good on AT&T, that would be the only deal breaker for me, not having reliable cell service.