Did the ZenFone 2 convince you to go for the 3?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The ZenFone 2 was ASUS's big play to become a major smartphone maker. Overall, I felt it was a very good phone and an excellent value, with two notable drawbacks: (1) tons of ASUS bloat (which, to their credit, they have gradually been removing or paring down), and (2) very slow Android version updates (still waiting for Marshmallow--although ASUS has pushed quite a few updates to fix various bugs, so at least they're paying attention).

My question to ZenFone 2 owners is: Did ASUS make a strong enough case to you to stick with them and get one of the ZenFone 3 variants when they come out next month? Especially now that there are so many phones that offer high specs at a relatively low price?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I honestly think I am going to pass. I have MM on my ZF2, but that was after unlocking the bootloader, flashing TWRP, and flashing CM13.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To be fair....now that the ZF has a SnapDragon, perhaps Android will not be the #1 consumer of the battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
True. Just think how much better the ZF2 would've been if it had a Snapdragon instead of an Atom!:'(

Andruri

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Yes and No. I purchased the ZF2 Intel model with lots of storage with the expectation of using it as my primary communication device for two years. But 9 months later the wifi interface started disappearing and has gotten so bad that after 1+ year of usage that it barely works long enough to download app updates from the play store. It often looks like a software issue but there are also some clues that point to bad hardware. I have never rooted but have considered doing so with the assumption of getting access to troubleshooting tools and logs to better see what is happening. Right now I am looking for a new phone and do not want to reward Asus with my next purchase but I might due to price/performance. I like the processor choice of the snapdragon 625 but dislike the glass case back. If the ZF3 still had the lightweight back with dual sim and simultaneous microSDXC and removal battery I think it would be most appealing for many consumers.

I am okay with a little bloatware, especially if they are relatively simple and fundamental apps; like the FM radio tuner, photo gallery viewer, contacts, etc. A few good choices could provider a better out-of-the-box experience for the first time buyer or someone who lives in a place with slow or spotty internet connections. I don't mind moving the unused Apps over to some corner of the phone as long as they don't take up too much space or run.

I would also like faster Android updates, but having the latest is not so critical since most of the interaction is with individual apps. I prefer software stability and performance more than any flashy OS feature.

I have been considering higher end phones such as the ZTE Axon 7, OnePlus 3 and lower end ones like the Moto G4. If the Axon 7 included a FM radio or the OnePlus 3 supported mircoSD they would probably win out but since they do not I am back to looking at the ZF3 but due to past issues and glass case I may ultimately go with the Moto G4 (Plus or non-Plus). Still researching before making a purchase.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I am actually trying to decide between the Zenfone 2 and the Zenfone 3 for an unlocked device upgrade. I have researched that there is quite a bit of bloatware on the 2, but that some of those apps can be deleted. It's hard to make a choice between the two. Maybe my wallet will make it for me... ;).

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
I am actually trying to decide between the Zenfone 2 and the Zenfone 3 for an unlocked device upgrade. I have researched that there is quite a bit of bloatware on the 2, but that some of those apps can be deleted. It's hard to make a choice between the two. Maybe my wallet will make it for me... ;).
Well ill say this... I did own the z2 was nice just today got me the z3 and wow this phone is awesome and way way better than z2... From build quality to how well it just works smooth and bloody fast, great for multitasking.
It's crazy how much phone u get for us money and honestly not as much in junk apps preinstalled as on z2 most are unable or can be uninstall or disabled.
I'm running nova beta on my but the stock theme store has lots of cool stuff.
Here is my setup.
4faefe7d3da592f41b7ee1f94334af39.jpg

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Well ill say this... I did own the z2 was nice just today got me the z3 and wow this phone is awesome and way way better than z2... From build quality to how well it just works smooth and bloody fast, great for multitasking.
It's crazy how much phone u get for us money and honestly not as much in junk apps preinstalled as on z2 most are unable or can be uninstall or disabled.
I'm running nova beta on my but the stock theme store has lots of cool stuff.
Here is my setup.
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161116/4faefe7d3da592f41b7ee1f94334af39.jpg

Wow, that is a great setup! And thank you for your input - I really appreciate it! I think I will go with the 3. :) Thanks again!

Simon Sage

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the ZF2 for about a year now, and just shattered the screen this week. I had a ZF3 on the way anyway, so not a huge deal, but I do worry about the extra glass face. Will probably do the "responsible" thing and actually use a case this time.

The fingerprint sensor was really the only thing I was missing from the ZF2. A premium build quality was also missing, so that's two things that would make it a worthwhile upgrade for me. OIS is nice and all, but I don't take a ton of pictures.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been using the ZF2 for about a year now, and just shattered the screen this week. I had a ZF3 on the way anyway, so not a huge deal, but I do worry about the extra glass face. Will probably do the "responsible" thing and actually use a case this time.

The fingerprint sensor was really the only thing I was missing from the ZF2. A premium build quality was also missing, so that's two things that would make it a worthwhile upgrade for me. OIS is nice and all, but I don't take a ton of pictures.

Sorry to hear that your screen broke, but that's exciting news about your new Zenfone 3! Enjoy!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
In the begining, no, i was thinking in the same way that you guys.

But the ZF2 glass have broken last week and I decide to buy a Zenfone 5.5 64GB.

Ant it was a really nice choice. ZF3 is much better than ZF2 in all of aspects. Don't get me wrong, I still think that ZF2 is a good smartphone with very low cost. But there's nothing to compare with ZF3.

ZF3 is faster, more responsive and smothier. Looks like it have a much better RAM management to0 because apps don't reset even with a very high usage.

The camera have no comparison at all. It's not the best camera, but much, much, much better than ZF2 camera.

And the battery, OMG, the battery. With ZF2 at 12pm I had only 20% or 25%. With ZF3 i can get 70% at the same time. Using in the same way, maybe more because it's a new smart and you want to use it much more than usual.

There's no Fast Charge, but you will never need to charge it before sleep. Never. And even without a Fast Charge, the charge is fast. 1% by minute on 2a==5v charger. More than enough. Yeah, would be nice a QC/Turbo/Fast Charge, but theres no real need on it in this particularly smartphone.

ZF3 screen is much better. Much brighter if you want, more detailed and can be really dark if you want too, much darker than ZF2. It is a really nice screen, you can see it on GSM Arena review.

And, of course, Android 7. Asus have made a better UI, much more reliable, beatiful and responsive.

So if you are satisfied with ZF2, that is a good smartphone even these days, keep it. But if you want something better, have a look on ZF3, because it is really much better.