Numerous ASUS smartphones, specifically the Zenfone models, have been receiving updates to Android Oreo.

However, ASUS Zenfone 5Q (5 Lite) is a high quality budget phone-with some flaws- but only runs Android Nougat. I am curious to see if it would get an update.
    07-08-2018 03:42 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! What's the exact model number? The website says it's supposed to come with Oreo out of the box: https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ZenFon...KL/Tech-Specs/
    07-09-2018 11:35 AM
    Indeed, that is the correct model. However, even though it says that it comes with Android 8 out of the box, certain people say that it doesn't and some websites say that it comes with Android 7 out of the box but might be upgradable to Android 8.

I'm not sure which one it is

(Just so you know, I am the anonymous inquirier above).
    07-09-2018 07:10 PM
    It might be a regional thing. The previous link was for the ASUS USA site, and the 5Q only just became available in the US (while it was released earlier in some parts of Asia). So it may be that it was released with Nougat in Asia, but the US model will have Oreo out of the box.

https://www.gadgetmatch.com/asus-zen...5-lite-review/
    https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...vailable-price

The first article is from what I think is a Philippine site, published in March, while the latter article refers specifically to the US launch, published in June.
    07-09-2018 10:07 PM
    Thank you! So whether or not the android update comes with the phone is dependent on region, I suppose? That is probably also why the ASUS website states that it comes with the Android Oreo.

I guess I can assume that the people who stated that the phone comes with android 7 does not reside in the USA?

Is this case also dependent on what region OF THE USA?
    07-10-2018 06:14 PM
    I can't speak for ASUS, but I would guess that the 5Q that was released earlier in Asia with Nougat will eventually get Oreo. It probably came with Nougat only because they released the phone in that region before they had Oreo ready for the phone. The people who said the phone comes with Nougat most likely have the version of the phone that was released in Asia -- it doesn't mean they don't live in the US, since they could've gotten the phone there and brought it back to the US.

It shouldn't matter what region of the US -- the US version of the phone should come with Oreo, according to the ASUS site.
    07-10-2018 06:48 PM
    Thank you so much for clarifying my concern!

Enjoy your night (day) depending.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-11-2018 05:45 PM
    Thank you so much for clarifying my concern!

Enjoy your night (day) depending.
    Sorry I have the us versión and it came with nougat. And exchange it and still has nougat from BEST BUY
    07-16-2018 03:48 PM
    Sorry I have the us versión and it came with nougat. And exchange it and still has nougat from BEST BUY
    Welcome to Android Central! That's interesting. When did you buy it?
    07-18-2018 01:06 AM
    Hello again! Just a follow up. After unboxing the ASUS Zenfone 5Q that I bought and setting up, I discovered that it runs Android 7.1.1 (Nougat).

It is perfectly fine for me, as Android 7.1.1 isn't the "oldest" Android version out there; it's a slight bit more advanced than Android 7.0 but older than Android Oreo.

However, my question now is, could Android Nougat phones receive the Android 9 (Android P) that will be coming out soon? I inquire about this because my ASUS Zenfone 5Q was released THIS YEAR, so I believe there is a chance of an upgrade to Android P once it is released.
    07-18-2018 10:59 AM
    Yes, this phone (as I am typing on the US version now) is 7.1.1. I asked why is it that when Best Buy and their own site says Oreo. Kinda false advertising to be honest if they don't update it. I did my search on all phones and why I had my eye on this one. I also keep hearing it will be updated anytime now yet it's not on that update list either.
    07-20-2018 09:14 AM
    I purchased a Zenfone 5Q here in the US in June. It is a US warranty version. It came with Nougat 7.1.1. The website is confusing as at the bottom of the page it says it will be updated to Oreo in Q3, but on the Tech Spec page, it says it will be upgraded to 7.1.1 in Q3, even though it already has it. Best Buy still says it comes with Oreo, which is not true. I love the phone, but I did buy it based on the promised upgrade to Oreo, so I hope it happens. It's crazy for a phone that was released in 2018 not to have Oreo.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-23-2018 07:10 AM
    The tech page says Oreo in q3
    09-08-2018 03:08 PM