Can I manually keep up-to-date OS and apps on my rooted ZenFone?

pi_ni

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I am aware,
  • that Asus does provide instructions on how to root their Zenfone 5.
  • that Asus also provides firmware downloads from their Support website.

However, per Asus, I would stop receiving automatic updates from Asus if I were to root my phone.

Thus, what I'd like to know is, after having rooted my phone:

1. Will I be able to manually keep my phone firmware up-to-date by fetching the firmware file from Asus Support site and manually applying the firmware update myself?
  2. Will I be able to update my non-Asus apps from PlayStore just like I can do now on my unrooted phone?

Everytime I ask Asus this question, they give me a blanket and somewhat unhelpful response, saying something to the effect of, "We don't advise you to root your phone as you will lose your warranty and stop receiving automatic updates."

I have already upgraded to Lollipop / 5.0 last week, and I don't think Asus will be releasing Android M. So, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and rooting my Zenfone 5.

Would greatly appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,
/pi_ni

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am aware,
  • that Asus does provide instructions on how to root their Zenfone 5.
  • that Asus also provides firmware downloads from their Support website.

However, per Asus, I would stop receiving automatic updates from Asus if I were to root my phone.

Thus, what I'd like to know is, after having rooted my phone:

1. Will I be able to manually keep my phone firmware up-to-date by fetching the firmware file from Asus Support site and manually applying the firmware update myself?
  2. Will I be able to update my non-Asus apps from PlayStore just like I can do now on my unrooted phone?

Everytime I ask Asus this question, they give me a blanket and somewhat unhelpful response, saying something to the effect of, "We don't advise you to root your phone as you will lose your warranty and stop receiving automatic updates."

I have already upgraded to Lollipop / 5.0 last week, and I don't think Asus will be releasing Android M. So, I'm thinking of taking the plunge and rooting my Zenfone 5.

Would greatly appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,
/pi_ni

Welcome to Android Central!

More than likely you will not be able to tell the phone to fetch the update. If it does manage to download the update it will more than likely fail to install. If you tried to flash the update yourself to the phone from the firmware they have on their site more than likely you will lose root access if it doesn't fail to install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007