Zenfone 3 unusable - how to recover from ZenUI Launcher crashing at startup?

Arneu

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
On my Zenfone 3 I've had a number of ZenUI Launcher crashes but always gotten past them, until now.

Asus ZenUI launcher is now consistently crashing on startup, so there is no way to do anything on the phone, no access to any menus or settings (that I know of).

Any advice on how to get past this? (and as next step, can this crap be uninstalled?)

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can't uninstall it without root, and even if you uninstall it, the phone will stop working altogether because the Launcher is the user interface you are actually seeing when you use the phone. If your phone is connected to the internet, logon to your Google account on a PC and open the Play Store website. Look for a third party launcher, like Nova, then install it to phone from the PC. Clicking on install on the website pushes the app to the phone. Once installed you will have a second launcher on your phone to use instead of ZenUI

Arneu

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
Thanks! But if I push a new launcher to the phone from Play Store I assume it won't automatically become the default launcher? And then I'm still stuck at ZenUI Launcher crashing, as I can't access any settings on the phone to switch launcher.

Arneu

Feb 4, 2018
Visit site
I did try pushing Nova launcher from Play Store and actually managed to get it activated on the phone. Thanks a lot!! My phone was just a brick with this ZenUI Launcher loop.