Asus Zenpad 3S 10 keeps rebooting! Help please.

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys, my tablet keeps rebooting on its own - it started about last week or 2 weeks ago and it started with rebooting maybe once an hour or once every few hours, but it has gotten worse the past few days and I think today it has been rebooting every 5 or 10 minutes!
When it started, I tried uninstalling some apps that I don't use hoping it will help, but now, I have about 10GB free and like I said it has gotten worse the past couple of days. The "storage" has about 10 GB free, and the memory about 55% free (if this info helps).
I haven't downloaded any new apps or anything and have been using the same old apps (Facebook, Instagram, Line, Whatsapp, ebook reader, Duolingo, emails, and such).
I haven't done a factory reset, but I am hoping I can solve this problem without a factory reset. Or is factory reset even gonna solve this issue?
Thank you in advance!

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello, thank you. I signed up.
The tablet is 3 years old. and yes, original battery. I haven't tried booting in safe mode.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello, thank you. I signed up.
The tablet is 3 years old. and yes, original battery. I haven't tried booting in safe mode.
Hi, welcome!

I think your battery needs to be replaced, but try safe mode if it still happening then you know for sure.

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
How do I do safe boot?! And do I lose any info while booting in safe mode?
What about changing battery? Do I lose everything with changing the battery?

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi again!
I have tried safe mode, and it rebooted again.
So does this mean it's the battery? Do I lose data by replacing the battery?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi again!
I have tried safe mode, and it rebooted again.
So does this mean it's the battery? Do I lose data by replacing the battery?
If it's a replaceable battery where cover comes out and swap you won't but if you have to take it apart then the tech probably want factory reset it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could be the battery, but it could also be corrupt firmware or some hardware issue (like a faulty Power switch, or a problem with the motherboard). Replacing the battery might be the easiest and cheapest thing to do first, but there's no guarantee that it'll solve the problem.

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
I see.
Is it worth doing a factory reset? Or that won't solve it?

What I have realized is that when I'm working with it (i,e, going through Facebook, Instagram, or even when reading a book) it doesn't reboot! But when I try to "touch" it in order to start working with it, that's when it reboots! Like when I am about to touch the "home" button or something like that! It still reboots quite a lot (today less than yesterday) but again, it doesn't reboot when I'm working on it.. it didn't reboot at all earlier when I reading a book on it for about 2 hours!

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
If it's some firmware or hardware issue, is it fixable? I mean is it worth asking ASUS to fix it for me? Or shall I just move on and buy a new one?!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I just wrote an answer, but it seems it disappeared

Hello. Some posts go into what's called moderation for review by moderators. Since you are relatively new, there is a higher chance for your posts to go there. I just approved the one you wrote prior. As you post more on the site, the less of a chance something will go there. However, it still can happen. @B. Diddy or @mustang7757 although they are members who have an elevated status, still sometimes get posts moderated.

Hope this adequately explained why the post seemed to not show up.

As an aside...welcome to the forums. Hope you stick around and contribute to more discussions.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Like when I try to touch the "home" button.

I tried looking at what device you have...is this it? https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenpad_3s_10_z500m-8218.php

If so, does it happen if you use the back button? Since this is happening on the actual hardware...I'm not inclined to agree that it's a battery issue. It's possible, but I don't think that's it. I am more inclined to think that the issue is a firmware one like @B. Diddy suggested. A reset in this case might be the best way to go.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I see.
Is it worth doing a factory reset? Or that won't solve it?

What I have realized is that when I'm working with it (i,e, going through Facebook, Instagram, or even when reading a book) it doesn't reboot! But when I try to "touch" it in order to start working with it, that's when it reboots! Like when I am about to touch the "home" button or something like that! It still reboots quite a lot (today less than yesterday) but again, it doesn't reboot when I'm working on it.. it didn't reboot at all earlier when I reading a book on it for about 2 hours!
You could do a factory reset , nothing to lose to try as a last attempt , but I think that battery your issue.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
If it's some firmware or hardware issue, is it fixable? I mean is it worth asking ASUS to fix it for me? Or shall I just move on and buy a new one?!

see if a reset does help and if it does not, imo, just get a new tablet. I have that tablet and replaced it last year when some of the apps I wanted was no longer compatible. It was a good tablet a couple of years ago and I highly recommended it at the time. the cost of battery and labor could be put to better use.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If it only happens when you press one of the nav buttons (the Home, Back, or Recent Apps buttons), then it's most likely a hardware issue. Since I assume it's no longer under warranty, I agree with me just saying -- look into buying a new tablet.

MahBan

Jun 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,
Thank you so much!

Golfdriver97: Thank you for explaining why my message didn't show up. And yes, that's the model - or well, the model before that one! I got that model you posted for my father actually because I liked my tablet so much! And after working with it I realized it's almost same as mine!

To everyone, thank you! I will try to do a factory reset in the next couple of days... and if that doesn't work, you suggest I get a new one? Or try to have Asus look at it? I certainly cannot change the battery if that's the issue! And of course if the money that I am going to spend for repair can get me a new one, I'll do that!
Any good budget-friendly tablets out there? If you could suggest a few that would be great in case I cannot find the specific model!

Thank you so much again everyone! :))

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi guys,
Thank you so much!

Golfdriver97: Thank you for explaining why my message didn't show up. And yes, that's the model - or well, the model before that one! I got that model you posted for my father actually because I liked my tablet so much! And after working with it I realized it's almost same as mine!

To everyone, thank you! I will try to do a factory reset in the next couple of days... and if that doesn't work, you suggest I get a new one? Or try to have Asus look at it? I certainly cannot change the battery if that's the issue! And of course if the money that I am going to spend for repair can get me a new one, I'll do that!
Any good budget-friendly tablets out there? If you could suggest a few that would be great in case I cannot find the specific model!

Thank you so much again everyone! :))
LenovoTab 4 8plus tablets, Samsung tab A some good priced ones.. good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech