Listening keeps popping up

pilot2fly

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Got my zentab s8 last week. Suddenly today, an app called Google App keeps popping up and says its listening. It overlays any apps I already have open and its very annoying. This is not the same as clicking the microphone button.

How do I fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you or anyone else around you saying "Ok Google"? It may be that the tablet's Google Search app is set to listen on any screen for the "Ok Google" prompt.

Open Google Now (by pressing and holding the Home button, then swiping up), then swipe in from the left, tap Settings>Voice>"OK Google" Detection, and turn off "From Any Screen" or "Always On." (You can leave "From the Google app" turned on.) Now see if the problem keeps occurring.

Happy New Year!

NYR2

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Same here. Google listening pops up constantly, especially when I'm in a noisy environment like a subway. OK Google Detection has been turned off since I set-up my Zenpad two weeks ago. I'm using my iPhone headphones, so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the mic on the headphones picking something up.

UPDATE: on the advice of a co-worker I tested Zenpad with 3 pairs of iPhone headphones and 3 pairs of non-iPhone headphones. After plugging them into the headphone jack, all 3 iPhone headphones brought up OK Google when the jack was given even the slightest pressure (and sometimes just by moving the headphone cord). This did not happen with any of the non-iPhone headphones, even as I applied far more pressure to the jack than I did with the iPhone headphones.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for sharing that tip! Headphones that have a "Made for iPhone" label on the box are more likely to have minor incompatibilities with some Android devices, and this is how it can manifest.

NYR2

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Appreciate the welcome B. Diddy. Lifelong Apple user and the Zenpad is my first android device. Branching out as I get more and more frustrated with each Apple product I begrudgingly buy to stay in their ecosystem.

Unfortunately, after testing with additional headphones, it seems that its not just limited to iPhone headphones. The problem occurs with any/all headphones that have a microphone and therefore have the 4-conductor (TRRS) connector, regardless of whether its the Apple TRRS setup or the standard TRRS setup. Tested with Samsung and Motorola headphones with TRRS setup, and result was the same - any background noise or slight movement of the connector in the jack causes the content (audio or video) to pause. Same thing happens if I apply the slightest pressure on the part of the screen that sits directly above the audio jack; content is paused. This does not happen when using TRS (no mic) headphones. Not sure if this is a design flaw with the Zenpad, or simply a faulty jack, but its extremely annoying. Curious if anyone is having a similar issue.

Kirscdon93

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Yes! I experence the same exact problem with the Google app...it's always when I have head phones plugged up. This is very annoying especially since I enjoy my music as I work..
How can this be stoped ??

Last edited:

CucamongaDan

Jan 28, 2017
Visit site
I was having same problem for a long time, very frustrating when music is continually interrupted by Google App I did not wish to use at present keeps freezing everything and demanding I say something.

But as much as Google App for Android seemed my enemy, Google Search on regular computer is my friend. I searched found this unanswered thread, and now have found the solution at another forum, from which I paste:

Navigate to Settings
Tap the General tab
Under "Personal" find "Language and Input"
Find "Google voice typing" and tap the Settings button (cog icon)
Tap "Ok Google" Detection
Under the "From the Google app" option, move the slider to the left.

That’s it, you have successfully turned OK Google off.

In case you can’t find the settings, there is another way:

Open the Google app
In the top left corner of the page, touch the Menu icon
Tap Settings > Voice > "OK Google" Detection
From here, you can choose when you want your phone to listen when you say "OK Google".

(Note on my particular phone, an LG39C, there was no General tab in settings, but I was successful in doing it through the 2nd recommended way through the Google App settings). Yay! Finally, no stupid interruptions when I had no intention of doing anything but listening to my music files on my phone. I can easily turn it back on when I wish to talk to Google.

Leifi_the_Cool

Feb 7, 2017
Visit site
For me, this problem turned up very abrupty after months of no trouble.
In my case the problem only was there when headphones were plugged in, and as it turns out was caused by the headphones cord becoming loose and broken. I didn't notice anything else wrong with it until after another week, the headphones stopped working entirely when the cord was angled in certain directions, when at the same time Google Voice Search was started.
So I wanted to add both that a bad cord can be the culprit, and that the cord can otherwise seem fine even though it's not.

As well, inactivating the Google TalkBack app or Google Search entirely in the settings for the respective apps was a workaround for me, if there's no other solution for you.

Good luck everybody! This really was a hassle before it got solved...

Pauline Subong

Apr 11, 2017
Visit site
This took me a while and it got really frustrating but I think I've done it.

Very well hidden. Go to your phone settings, not Google settings and find App Permissions. Select Google and turn off microphone permissions.

bbretton61

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
Pauline's reply got me looking at other options too because all of the "OK Google" Detection options on my phone were disabled yet the thing kept doing it's OK Google thing.

I couldn't find any way to "turn off microphone permissions" within the Google app itself on my Droid. However, within the phone settings (nothing to do with Google or Apps), under device, I found "Touchless Control". It indicates "control your phone using the hands-free launch phrase followed by a command". I deselected it, and voila! No more "OK Google" issues.

Hope this helps someone else!

TheJDog

Jun 14, 2018
Visit site
I do not have a ZenPad I have Moto Z but I have been having the same issue normally without headphones and seems to be quite random sometimes someone is talking sometimes not but the Google now app suddenly starts listening. I prefer not to turn off the app as I use it's features. Does anyone have another solution?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800