Android Wear 2.0 on the ZenWatch 2

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I wonder what model I got. I ordered mine from Amazon and got the Silver with a brown rubber strap. Of course that strap is the first thing that is coming off the watch when it arrives tomorrow. Im a high end watch collector so I've got over a dozen different 22mm straps that I can swap out on my Zenwatch 2. I've got three metal bracelets and about 12 either zulu or rubber straps to choose from. I'm pretty sure I'm putting my brand new Red color rubber strap on mine as I have not even used it yet. I'm going to check out my metal bracelets on it too and see what they look like.

So what are the differences between the two models and two different timed updates? What model do I have if mine is silver with a brown rubber strap. What I did was buy a Amazon warehouse deal where it had been opened but unused. I got my Zenwatch 2 for $85 dollars in fact. Not a bad deal at all. Plus I ordered a screen protector for it so I'm hoping my Zenwatch 2 will have only been opened as it comes in all original packaging. My previous smartwatch was the Moto 360 2nd gen but I never could warm up to that watch for some reason. The only thing the Zenwatch lacks that I wanted was a heart rate sensor but it wasnt a deal breaker as I still ordered one. I could have gotten one unopened for around $150ish but I had exactly $90 dollars in amazon store credit so I basically won't have a dime into my Zenwatch. I was unsure of the squareish face at first but after seeing several reviews on it I'm good with it now. I got the larger version 49mm. Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow now.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The two different model number refer to the two different screen sizes. wi501q is the larger size 1.63" which that article says is being upgraded now. wi502q is the smaller size 1.45" which isn't being updated until August.

I really love that the ZenWatch takes standard 22mm bands. The leather it comes with looks really nice, but eventually peeled and picked up an odor. I have a black metal link band with the black face and it looks real nice. It took a little while to get used to though because the metal band is heavy, but the plastic face is super light, so it's not balanced well.

Also I'm not sure if the Zulu band will work because you need access to the back of the watch for daily charging.

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Last night. Notifications seem to not be working. Still testing.

Update: Notifications from Android Messages, Hangouts and Facebook Mgr are working, as is calendar reminders. Not receiving Gmail notifications or notifications from TypeApp, my email client.

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The two different model number refer to the two different screen sizes. wi501q is the larger size 1.63" which that article says is being upgraded now. wi502q is the smaller size 1.45" which isn't being updated until August.

I really love that the ZenWatch takes standard 22mm bands. The leather it comes with looks really nice, but eventually peeled and picked up an odor. I have a black metal link band with the black face and it looks real nice. It took a little while to get used to though because the metal band is heavy, but the plastic face is super light, so it's not balanced well.

Also I'm not sure if the Zulu band will work because you need access to the back of the watch for daily charging.
You know as a high end watch collector I did not once think about the Zulu not working unless I want to go through the trouble of removing it nightly to charge it. I've only one other smart watch which was the Moto 360 2nd generation. That said I'm not used to having to charge my watch lol. So my thoughts on one of my over a dozen Zulu straps maybe out. I have one in particular that looks very vintage 70s style and I had planned on using it. I'll include a picture in my next post. The good thing is I have a couple of nice leather straps already. 3 rubber straps, Red, Coral orange ans a orange with actual curved end pieces which might not fit. Then I have 5 metal bracelets to choose from that all of these are 22mm. This is just from my collecting over the past 16 years of high end dive watches. Right now I'm leaning towards a cool looking Red rubber strap to go on it. Maybe I'll get mine in a few minutes and be able to update it to 2.0 as well. Stand by for some pictures of my straps and bracelets. Wanted to get you guys to help me decide which to throw on the Zenwatch 2 when it gets here in a little while. Stand by for pics!

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Okay here are my options. I have quite a few. Let me know since you guys already own this watch which strap or bracelet will go best. Note I got the Silver Stainless Steel case version.

ac6ea403f202b0222528d5ea88f67c69.jpg

8355e897f88a848c0c3d372bca192eea.jpg

b03d2d9dd44754c368daedfd4c2cecb8.jpg

253bc8dad5e24719355e3582f481333b.jpg

Couldn't get all the pictures to download for some reason. What do you guys think out of what I did get to download? Which would you go with. I love the vintage 70s looking Zulu but like one of you said, a Zulu probably isn't the best idea for this smartwatch due to charging it nightly.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
9d3da838b17f7f241f716cd38bb65028.jpg

Is this the update? It's taking forever! I keep loosing the screen and I'm not sure if it continues to update in the background. Here's my strap choice for now by the way.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm still downloading and it says stay hooked up to charger. It's a lot like watching grass grow lol. Very very little movement but I'm about 75 percent there. I'm thinking sometime tomorrow lol.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm still downloading and it says stay hooked up to charger. It's a lot like watching grass grow lol. Very very little movement but I'm about 75 percent there. I'm thinking sometime tomorrow lol.

Yeah mine was the same. Think it took about an hour or so to download. Really slow but it did just run in the background.

Well worth the wait though. I had my doubts about 2.0 after hearing a lot of stories about LG Urbane etc being almost unusable after the update and being slow and laggy. 2.0 on my ZW is so much faster and slicker than 1.5 was. It's actually awesome and making me really appreciate my watch again. It's taking a little bit of getting used to but for me it's a huge improvement.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
You guys must have Zen patience lol. Pretty funny. I'm still not there yet. 90 percent. I hope this is the Android Wear 2.0. Can anyone confirm theirs took longer than forever?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah mine was the same. Think it took about an hour or so to download. Really slow but it did just run in the background.

Well worth the wait though. I had my doubts about 2.0 after hearing a lot of stories about LG Urbane etc being almost unusable after the update and being slow and laggy. 2.0 on my ZW is so much faster and slicker than 1.5 was. It's actually awesome and making me really appreciate my watch again. It's taking a little bit of getting used to but for me it's a huge improvement.
Tell me what are the major differences. I guess I only briefly saw what was it 1.5? Right now I'm in that reboot stage where the Google circles keep going back and forth so I'm not sure how close I am. I've been going at it for a while now. I have to think I'm getting close. When you say runs faster do you mean less lag? Update me on the changes if you don't mind.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site

Okay I've got 2.0 now but I've lost the part where I can show my battery life, weather and phone battery life on my face. How do I find those options again?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo