Android Wear 2.0 on the ZenWatch 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
One setting that I changed. I went to settings, personalization, device administration, and turned on Android Device Manager as an administrator.

I can't imagine that has any effect on Gmail notifications.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
If you already have a new message notification from Gmail in your notification shade then new messages get added to that notification silently, but I can still swipe through them. If there no Gmail notification in my notification shade then I get a notification pop-up on the watch.
In not getting any pop up at all. Still am not nor have I from the get go. I'm thinking of just starting over but I really don't care to download all that stuff again so I don't know.

stmiranda

May 7, 2015
Visit site
One setting that I changed. I went to settings, personalization, device administration, and turned on Android Device Manager as an administrator.

I can't imagine that has any effect on Gmail notifications.

Thanks for that. My ADM was already turned on. I get Gmail notifications through TypeApp but not from the Gmail app itself. From some reading I've done, seems to be a known issue.

Everything else working great especially now that I remember to push the button to pull up apps and not swipe. Lost count how many times I changed my watch face. :) Battery life much better, responds better and I like being able to remove unnecessary apps from the watch without impacting my phone.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I have more than one Gmail account one my phone. Don't know if that could be relevant.
I just know I synced my main Gmail account to my watch and I have not gotten the first gmail alert. None. I don't understand what's going on. I guess that's how it will be. I'm glad I didn't actually have to spend any money on my watch now. I had courtesy Amazon credit which paid for my watch. For that I can live with it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We've seen how long they took to push out 2.0 to us in the 1st place, I wouldn't count on it lol
Genuine Gmail notification on my zenwatch 2
9ab7897a2d8bae6b3e672cdaf8cd88a6.jpg

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 264314View attachment 264315

Yeah same here, I just tried out my official Gmail app that I don't really use just to test it and it worked perfectly first time.
One advantage of a common name is it is no big deal if people see it on the web. I tried to scratch mine out but it was a pita so I only showed the message.

The fact ours works is bad news for those who do not. I doubt Asus is looking into a cure especially since they are out of the watch business.

My battery life is much worse if that is any consolation. Perhaps it is due to Google Sync with phone? I have fewer apps now than in 1.5

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Wait I'm confused. It works with the Gmail app, but it wasn't working before? What app were you using before?

Since getting my s8 a few weeks ago, I was having issues getting notified about new mail and would have to actually open the app to manually check for it. So I set up the stock email app instead for my Gmail and have been using that since as it worked just fine. Last night I set up the official Gmail app again just to test AndroidWear notifications and it worked fine both for getting notified on the phone about new mail AND on my ZW 2.

Another thing to check is that all your watch apps have been updated since upgrading. After I set up my watch I went into PlayStore on my watch, swiped down and clicked on MY APPS, and went through the ones that asked me to update them individuality.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
One advantage of a common name is it is no big deal if people see it on the web. I tried to scratch mine out but it was a pita so I only showed the message.

The fact ours works is bad news for those who do not. I doubt Asus is looking into a cure especially since they are out of the watch business.

My battery life is much worse if that is any consolation. Perhaps it is due to Google Sync with phone? I have fewer apps now than in 1.5

Battery life in mine was worse in day one after the update so I did a factory reset on my watch and set it up again from scratch. Yesterday my battery was heaps better and I got about the same as I did on 1.5.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Battery life in mine was worse in day one after the update so I did a factory reset on my watch and set it up again from scratch. Yesterday my battery was heaps better and I got about the same as I did on 1.5.
vMy gmail notifications work so I'm not going to mess with it.

nelson1

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Prior to installing 2.0 on my ZW2 there was a small cloud icon on the home screen when the watch lost connectivity. The connectivity might have been Bluetooth with my phone or WiFi. There was also a setting that would allow you to have an alarm go off when you lost connectivity.

I haven't found either the cloud icon or the alarm on 2.0. Has anyone found either of them?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Prior to installing 2.0 on my ZW2 there was a small cloud icon on the home screen when the watch lost connectivity. The connectivity might have been Bluetooth with my phone or WiFi. There was also a setting that would allow you to have an alarm go off when you lost connectivity.
I haven't found either the cloud icon or the alarm on 2.0. Has anyone found either of them?

The Forgot Phone alert to let you know when your phone loses connection to your watch is in the FoneHelper app. Maybe the Cloud icon is activated with that setting too? I know the one you mean though from 1.5. I wonder if it's maybe even connected to the Cloud Sync setting?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

An answer to this would be great. Since phone now works without watch it may very well be gone now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair