Zenwatch keeps disconnecting from Note 4

0live_0il

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what is up, but my zenwatch keeps disconnecting and then reconnecting randomly throughout the day. Happens at least 3-4 times a day. I've unpaired from the phone and reset the watch... but it still keeps happening. Anybody else having this issue or know a fix?

Posted via the Android Central App

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm not having any issue, but then again I've only had it for the past several days. I'm also running slimlp alpha lollipop, not touchwiz.

steveL332

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 3, and it stays connected. You might want to try a restore on the watch, reload your apps and see if that works. It may just have a conflict going on . If that doesn't work you probably have a defective watch.

Posted via Android Central App

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I had this happen with my Samsung S4 when I first set the ZenWatch up. It cleared up after upgrading the software on the watch and after enabling and updating the Google app on my S4. I had previously disabled it for some reason I don't recall.

scmurphy13

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Reset the watch, uninstalled and reinstalled the Android Wear app, and it's still happening. Frustrating. It only does it on my Note 4. I have a 2014 Moto X and it doesn't do it when connected to that.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My Zen disconnects a lot from my Note 4. The 4 has outstanding Bluetooth; the Zen watch not so much. I also have a Samsung Fit that stays connected while the Zen drops. I'm hoping for more updates to the Zen. It is new and the Fit did not start out as good as it is.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I had a lot of problems with Bt on my Note 4. Samsung fixed it by reloading the Samsung software. My Note 4 now has very good Bt like my Note 3 did. I have 2 watches and a lot of other Bt. My Samsung Gear Fit has the same long range (30 ft. or better) and no dropping as the other Bt stuff. My Zen only has about half the range of the Fit and drops all the time around the house. Hopefully Asus can fix this in software. I don't expect the Zen to stay connected more than twenty feet away , unobstructed. It does pick back up on the connection reliably.

Shadowbelle

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note 2 and the Zenwatch has never disconnected from the watch as long as they were in bluetooth range -- not without a good reason (something blocking the signal). I'm glad to know about this because I was considering upgrading to a Note 4 when my contract is up in March.

0live_0il

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Just to be clear, this was happening while the phone was literally in my pocket and watch on my wrist. The past few days have seemed to be better after watch reset again.

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I had it do this early on with my HTC One (M7). I restarted my phone and it cleared things up. I've not had it happen again now for a couple weeks.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Still disconnects a lot from my Note 4. Since the Samsung Fit does not at the same place I think the Zen has a more limited range; less than 20 ft. clear distance.

canonBoy

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the same thing with the note 4/zenwatch combo! It's crazy, I have my watch vibrate 5 times on disconnect and 3 times on connect, and with the phone in my pocket and my watch on wrist (right and left respectively) it'll disconnect! Or if my watch is on my head board at home and I have my phone in bed, my body is about the only thing blocking it and it connects and disconnects all the time!

Has anyone else noticed that having the watch connected during a hangouts voice call over wifi totally destroys the call quaility? Like to the point of having to disconnect the watch completely?

Wondering if I need to get it taken care of under warranty or if it's just the way the watch is.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine was fine for a few weeks; although range is really short compared to other devices. Yesterday mine would not connect no-how. Managed an e-mail to Asus but have not heard back yet.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
One thing to consider with Bluetooth connectivity issues is that although Bluetooth uses spread spectrum, other 2.4GHz sources can still interfere with it. Things like cordless phones, Wifi, or even a loose cable or dish connector can cause Bluetooth range reduction or disconnects. In a wood frame house, you should get about 30ft range. If you are having Bluetooth connectivity problems, verify if it occurs only in a specific location.

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
For the record I don't have a zenwatch. I want one real bad which is why I am reading through this forum. Just wanted to add to the conversation that many people in my office have been seeing intermittent bt connectivity issues with our devices. We have about 5-7 Note 3s, 3-4 Note 4 s and my Note Edge. Now the people with the 3s are having no issues. But those of us with the newer (nearly identical devices) all are.

Now again don't have the watch and can't speak to its bt power, but I do know AT&T's latest Note Devices are having some sort of issue. I sometimes have to cycle bt on/off 3-4 times to get it to connect to my factory in car bt system and the phone is always within 1-2 feet wherever the bt receiver could possible be located. When I had the Note 3 I could literally be outside the car, doors closed, windows up, and 20-30 ft away and the phone stayed connected. Only variable change is the new device. So don't rule out the bt on the phone either.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Love to see 10 ft. on my Zen. Probably designed to spec. All my other Androids do better; at least 30 ft. not blocked and 20 ft. through a light wall (car to Note 4 in the house).

macolliejr

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Well I stand corrected. Finally bought the watch and I'm getting very intermittent connection and like said earlier in the thread my wrist and phone are always within 2-3 feet of each other. And that's only when I wear it on the wrist opposite the phones holster. I'm assuming this reoccuring search for connection has a lot to do also with extremely poor battery. Ive had the watch off the charger exactly two hours now and am at 75% and gear manager predicting dead battery around 3pm. I have it set at minimum display, 5 sec time out and touch to wake. If there is a way to minimize it more I'm all ears but that said if I had to minimize its functionality anymore I would argue its not worth having (It's pretty much already there anyways IMO). So all that plus not being able to take a call without using my phone anyways might make this a very short lived experience.

I really love the design and really want it to be awesome and not have to return it. So anyone that can give me some pointers would be great. No need to hijack this thread though. Just pm me. Thanks in advance.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I stand corrected. Finally bought the watch and I'm getting very intermittent connection and like said earlier in the thread my wrist and phone are always within 2-3 feet of each other. And that's only when I wear it on the wrist opposite the phones holster. I'm assuming this reoccuring search for connection has a lot to do also with extremely poor battery. Ive had the watch off the charger exactly two hours now and am at 75% and gear manager predicting dead battery around 3pm. I have it set at minimum display, 5 sec time out and touch to wake. If there is a way to minimize it more I'm all ears but that said if I had to minimize its functionality anymore I would argue its not worth having (It's pretty much already there anyways IMO). So all that plus not being able to take a call without using my phone anyways might make this a very short lived experience.

I really love the design and really want it to be awesome and not have to return it. So anyone that can give me some pointers would be great. No need to hijack this thread though. Just pm me. Thanks in advance.

I'm guessing this is an issue with the phone not the ZenWatch, since you mentioned already having BT issues. Of course, an easy way to check this (if you have another Android smartphone user you feel you can trust) is to try and connect the ZenWatch to another phone that is not already experiencing some kind of BT connection issue. Keep it connected to that other phone for a little while and see what the result is.

I have zero BT connection problems with my ZenWatch connected to my Nexus 6. Just my two cents... :) .