Ambient Mode

joe_m_p

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
What happened to it? I'm currently running 5.0.1 if that makes a difference. I can't remember if it disappeared while still on 5.0.

Posted via the Android Central App

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
What happened to it? I'm currently running 5.0.1 if that makes a difference. I can't remember if it disappeared while still on 5.0.

"Ambient mode" is on the Moto 360 as it has an ambient light sensor and does not have a true "always on" mode. As far as I know, the Asus ZenWatch has never had an "Ambient mode" because it does NOT have an ambient light sensor, but *DOES* have a true "always on" mode instead.

When you switch from the Moto 360 to the ZenWatch, the Android Wear app notices the change and switches the options available.

You can find these options by pressing the gear icon in the top right corner of the Android Wear app.

0b3679fc9bcfe683009b8dd9119af941.jpg

ee7a2c93be34420063e4944fdc42f758.jpg

Hope it helps.

joe_m_p

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Maybe ambient mode wasn't the correct description. After about 5 seconds my watch used to dim to show just the hour and minute hands. I read in XDA forum that feature went a way with 5.0.1 but I'm pretty sure it was there even after updating.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Maybe ambient mode wasn't the correct description. After about 5 seconds my watch used to dim to show just the hour and minute hands. I read in XDA forum that feature went a way with 5.0.1 but I'm pretty sure it was there even after updating.

Hmm... Perhaps I'm not properly understanding your question, but it sounds like your referring to the "always on" feature which does exactly that. After a few seconds, the screen will dim (exactly what is shown in this dimmed mode is different for different watch faces) and the screen is only updated once every minute while dimmed. This once every minute update cycle obviously means that second hands simply cannot happen and are not shown. "Always on" still exists on even the latest version Android Wear and was not removed.

Perhaps this will help... THIS LINK lists out what was changed when Android Wear 5.0.1 was initially released.

May 3, 2015
Visit site

You're talking about always on. I tried using that feature when I first got the watch and the battery couldn't last an entire day. Once I turned it off I had enough juice to make it from 6 a.m. until 9 p.m. no problem. It's kind of a pointless feature anyway since looking at your wrist activates the screen. Having a passive screen is only good for other people looking at your wrist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams