Japanese vs. American?

American or Japanese?

• Total voters

stevovr

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
My bucket list includes driving on "The Ring". The full 13.4 miles of it.

its a must do mate absolutely awesome.while i was there i did a track day at spa also

Attachments

• DSC_0603.jpg
    DSC_0603.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 31

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I love the Dodge VIper, but to be realistic its about 100K - 200K to get one here which is about 105k-210k usd.
Because its 30k "luxury" import tax, then another 30k to swap the steering wheel over. Bit unrealistic.
Anywho, Japan's cars are so efficient, well built and cheap so I am giving it to the Japanese here!

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
For me, Japanese cars. I started driving American cars, had a old talon and later saved enough for the traditional Mustang. Starting of driving it was all about house power which American v8s provided. However, over the years I find the horsepower less and less necessary. I don't go to tracks so I find my self driving in traffic, driving the same speed as the Prius next to me or the Honda Odyssey and one day it just hit me. I'm wasting gas money.

And then I had a kid and started a family. I found no reason to drive over 70, 80, 90, miles per hour... Not only does it get me into legal trouble, it potentially putting my life and others in danger.

And then I picked up a s2000. Asian cars are so light and there's a huge difference that eight plays in car feel. I started to prefer 4 cylinders or turbo 4s over v8s due to nimble nature of those cars. But my s2000 got stolen, not surprised, they're eye candy in the tuner market.

Then I bought a used miata and loved it just as much as my s2000. I now prefer handling and driving feel over power which Japanese cars tend to have. Not saving American don't make light cars the miata is American, it's just Asian car manufacturer tend to make better handling cars. And now I'm saving up for a new scion frs because of its great handling characteristics in everyday driving.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

carpenj

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Stereotypically, Japanese cars are supposed to be 'built better' and 'last longer'. I've had a 1999 Dodge Dakota (V6, 5 speed), a 2002 Toyota Camry, a 2004 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, and a 2010 Ram 1500. The two Dodges have given me far fewer issues (and the Dakota averaged around 21mpg for me, while my 2.4L Camry averages around 23). So my vote goes to American right? Eh, no, but it does go for Dodge over Toyota (though I've never been a fan of the looks of Dodge trucks). My next vehicle will either be the new 3.6L Wrangler 4x4 2-door or a 4wd Xterra.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
100% depends on the model of car. Both American (Camaro, Corvette, Charger, Challenger etc..) and the Japanese (BR-Z, GTR, MX-5, STI, EVO etc..) make great cars; but they also make absolutely terrible cars (Japanese - Civic, Camry, Prius, Altima, other boring *** cars for old people, American - Cavalier, other ugly pieces of crap). But the Japanese do make worse terrible cars like the Camry (especially those older POS ones), but they also make better good cars (like the GTR)

Also I may be a bit biased since I have an Acura.

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The Europeans make the best performing and have the best designs. The usually have the best fit and finish, BUT their reliability and costs to maintain sucks.

Maybe for the older ones, but absolutely 10000% wrong for the newer Euros..

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I have a Toyota prius. But I fully support American made cars, and products made in america.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If the big three could make anything as good as my WRX I might consider buying it but in all reality saying a car is American made these days hardly means made by the big three.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Wife and I both have German. Not really an affinity to German but those were the models we liked best. She has a Benz SUV and I have an Audi SUV. I may upgrade when the 2014's come out and I am open minded but I sure like my Audi!

Thank you Jennifer for saving gas because ours drink the gas! I had a highlander hybrid previously.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Wife and I both have German. Not really an affinity to German but those were the models we liked best. She has a Benz SUV and I have an Audi SUV. I may upgrade when the 2014's come out and I am open minded but I sure like my Audi!

Thank you Jennifer for saving gas because ours drink the gas! I had a highlander hybrid previously.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Lol, the pleasure is all mine. Feels great only filling up once a week and only spending $30 compared to the $60 every few day with our old mariner.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Lol, the pleasure is all mine. Feels great only filling up once a week and only spending $30 compared to the $60 every few day with our old mariner.

I hear you! My wife's is the GL450 and take super unleaded. It has never been over 100 but close...my neighbor has the Chevy volt and gives us his gas stats every time we see him! Luckily my wife does not drive much about 6 or 7 k a year. I really liked my highlander hybrid but was concerned when the accelerator thing hit the news.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
We've had it since august 2012 and we've put about 25k miles on it since then. Granted, we drove it during our pcs to Texas and used to drive the 1200 mile round trip back home every four day. We average about 35-40 mpg. We need to fix our air pressure in the tires and get them rotated and I'm sure wed be back up to our usual 45mpg.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
We've had it since august 2012 and we've put about 25k miles on it since then. Granted, we drove it during our pcs to Texas and used to drive the 1200 mile round trip back home every four day. We average about 35-40 mpg. We need to fix our air pressure in the tires and get them rotated and I'm sure wed be back up to our usual 45mpg.

That is serious mileage! You must be a military family. I grew up as an Army brat and served 4 years after college before transitioning to the corporate business world. I call San Antonio home, but have been in Plano for many years now so I guess DFW is home now.

Thank you for your service!

Sent from my Nexus 7