Japanese vs. American?

American or Japanese?

• Total voters

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My husband is active duty army :p we are in san Antonio for his M6 ASI (licensed practical nurse). We will be here for a year and then be sent somewhere else lol. The prius has come in such handy with his career.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Can't stand the mustangs old or new. Only mustang that has my respect is the mach1 and old gt500 eleanor. I like the yenko camaro or super bee better. The Plymouth roadrunner had a lot of potential they should bring it back as well as the hemi cuda.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I
Japanese cars will last longer and are built with better quality. I will always buy Honda and I'm currently driving a 2012 Acura TSX. I want a fun sporty car that's economical and reliable. GM and Chrysler make terrible products. I'd buy a Ford if needed as they make quality vehicles.

BTW, Honda opened up an assembly plant in America a few years ago. I think it was Indiana but I may be wrong and it produces Civics. Honda just opened up a plant in America to build the new ILX.

I love these arguments saying its not American. Its American where it counts- economically for us 99%. Its Japanese where it counts- Reliability and quality.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Its funny how ppl go back and forth usually bashing another. No car is better than another its how u take care of the car.

Also it doesnt matter if its american or Japanese or what ever. Any car from any county has parts made from all different companies and countries. So saying that Japanese cars are better than american are in fact not because I work for a bearing company that supplies parts for gmc, ford, chrysler, toyota , honda and other production companies that assemble our parts for german made cars.

Gmc which owns a few companies (cadillac, chevy, used to own saturn, buick, opel, holden, vauxhall) have parts thats are the same components that are in bmw such has motors and transmissions. The same parts that go into a ford or gmc or chevy car motor go into toyotas and hondas. Ford also owns (lincoln, mazda, mercury, volvo, jaguar, land rover).

If u want to talk about cars from way back when such as american muscle and old school imports I agree that nothing beats the sounds, looks, power, fun, and just plain cool factor of old American muscle. old imports just cant compete. Now with new cars, shoot thetes do much out there its hard to choose but id always pic the sound of a built v8.

Currently I drive a 2006 vw jetta tdi. Cant beat 50mpg and most solid car ive ever drove. I am building a 1990 mustang gt to to moon. And my wife has a 2003 jeep liberty. Both our cars never gave use any issues. I had a 2000 saturn ls with 190, 000mi. Never had any major issues go wrong just schedule maintenance.

I usually pick what I like the best with no brand preference in mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I
Gmc which owns a few companies (cadillac, chevy, used to own saturn, buick, opel, holden, vauxhall) have parts thats are the same components that are in bmw such has motors and transmissions. The same parts that go into a ford or gmc or chevy car motor go into toyotas and hondas. Ford also owns (lincoln, mazda, mercury, volvo, jaguar, land rover).

Umm, so many levels of "no"..

1. GM still owns Buick, Opel, Holden, and Vauxhall.
2. Most manufacturers don't share transmissions and engines very often at all. And when they do, they generally don't work that well. Gee, can't imagine why Hyundai wouldn't want it's transmissions and engine blocks to work well in Dodge Darts. (note to Chrysler: you guys really aren't that bright are you?)
3. Oh by the way Ford only owns Lincoln. Mercury is dead, and they sold all the others.

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro using Tapatalk 2.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I

Its funny how ppl go back and forth usually bashing another. No car is better than another its how u take care of the car.

Also it doesnt matter if its american or Japanese or what ever. Any car from any county has parts made from all different companies and countries. So saying that Japanese cars are better than american are in fact not because I work for a bearing company that supplies parts for gmc, ford, chrysler, toyota , honda and other production companies that assemble our parts for german made cars.

If u want to talk about cars from way back when such as american muscle and old school imports I agree that nothing beats the sounds, looks, power, fun, and just plain cool factor of old American muscle. old imports just cant compete. Now with new cars, shoot thetes do much out there its hard to choose but id always pic the sound of a built v8.

Currently I drive a 2006 vw jetta tdi. Cant beat 50mpg and most solid car ive ever drove. I am building a 1990 mustang gt to to moon. And my wife has a 2003 jeep liberty. Both our cars never gave use any issues. I had a 2000 saturn ls with 190, 000mi. Never had any major issues go wrong just schedule maintenance.

I usually pick what I like the best with no brand preference in mind.

In a sense you are correct but when it comes to reliability, arguably a good metric to determine "goodness", the Japanese auto makers frequently top the lists. To me reliability is a huge factor in deciding on a car purchase and statistically a vehicle made by a Japanese company, no matter the country of assembly, is less likely to have problems. Like I said I drive a WRX, I bought it used with 140k on the clock, with 190k miles traveled now. It is tuned and modified to have about 300HP. It also gets about 31mpg on the highway so it's still running great. Yes it's true an "American" car can run 190k miles, but it's not likely to do that and still do what mine does. Anyhow, I went a little much with my experience but the fact remains Japanese auto makers make more reliable cars and if this is important to you, which I think it is for most people, you shouldn't ignore that fact. Plus, anytime I am in an American car it feels cheaply made. As for European cars, well they can be hit or miss. Even the Germans are not immune to reliability issues and for the price you pay, I kind of feel they should be a bit better.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Umm, so many levels of "no"..

1. GM still owns Buick, Opel, Holden, and Vauxhall.
2. Most manufacturers don't share transmissions and engines very often at all. And when they do, they generally don't work that well. Gee, can't imagine why Hyundai wouldn't want it's transmissions and engine blocks to work well in Dodge Darts. (note to Chrysler: you guys really aren't that bright are you?)
3. Oh by the way Ford only owns Lincoln. Mercury is dead, and they sold all the others.

Did u notice how there was not a ; after saturn? That reads as "used to own saturn", not the other listed after it too. Also gmc (cadillac) uses transmissions from bmw 300 series cars and renault motors.

Ford focus, fusion and madza mazda 3, 6 same chassis and motors. Lincoln ls and jaguar x type when they were made used the same motor, trans, and chassisn who would have guessed, same company. Theres plenty of the same large components used in different brand cars and even more smaller parts and components used in different brand cars.
And yet still theres plenty of cars thats use the same small parts or part manufactures to create components for them in their cars as other car companies. Its not as cut and dry as most ppl think.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Also gmc (cadillac) uses transmissions from bmw 300 series cars and renault motors.

Ford focus, fusion and madza mazda 3, 6 same chassis and motors. Lincoln ls and jaguar x type when they were made used the same motor, trans, and chassisn who would have guessed, same company.

Please try to get accurate information. If course the same company (GM, not GMC) will use its engines and transmissions in multiple brands within its company. But the Fusion and Mazda 6 are not related to the Focus and Mazda 3. Mazda and Ford, now that Ford had sold its share of Mazda, do not share anything anymore: the 6 and Fusion have been redesigned, as has the Focus. The 3 is being redesigned now, but has received new non Ford engines and transmissions.

You really need to update your information. It's way out of date. Oh and BMW doesn't make a 300 series. Though they used to make a 2000.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Please try to get accurate information. If course the same company (GM, not GMC) will use its engines and transmissions in multiple brands within its company. But the Fusion and Mazda 6 are not related to the Focus and Mazda 3. Mazda and Ford, now that Ford had sold its share of Mazda, do not share anything anymore: the 6 and Fusion have been redesigned, as has the Focus. The 3 is being redesigned now, but has received new non Ford engines and transmissions.

You really need to update your information. It's way out of date. Oh and BMW doesn't make a 300 series. Though they used to make a 2000.

Thank you, especially for the BMW remark. Was driving me crazy but I didn't want to be argumentative. But yeah, to the person being quoted, you are a few years behind on your auto industry information. It's Ok, it changes a lot.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

Ford still owns stake in mazdan sorry if I said 300 series. Omgz. Sorry 3 series. My bad. Trust me I know what drive train components go into cars such as gm, ford, mazda, cadillac and such. I work at a company that makes parts for them.

Oh by the way it put it correctly its GMC. General Motor Company which ppl refer to that as the business part not tue vehicles. Also interxhanged with GM General Motors for short.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site

The ford fusion and mazda 6 are related. The focus and mazda 3 are related.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
In a sense you are correct but when it comes to reliability, arguably a good metric to determine "goodness", the Japanese auto makers frequently top the lists. To me reliability is a huge factor in deciding on a car purchase and statistically a vehicle made by a Japanese company, no matter the country of assembly, is less likely to have problems. Like I said I drive a WRX, I bought it used with 140k on the clock, with 190k miles traveled now. It is tuned and modified to have about 300HP. It also gets about 31mpg on the highway so it's still running great. Yes it's true an "American" car can run 190k miles, but it's not likely to do that and still do what mine does. Anyhow, I went a little much with my experience but the fact remains Japanese auto makers make more reliable cars and if this is important to you, which I think it is for most people, you shouldn't ignore that fact. Plus, anytime I am in an American car it feels cheaply made. As for European cars, well they can be hit or miss. Even the Germans are not immune to reliability issues and for the price you pay, I kind of feel they should be a bit better.

I have the complete opposite experience. My dad had a ford f150 with 220, 000mi before the brakes needed to be changed and then nothing major broke or went wrong. It was a work truck too. I have always had to fix my friends cars and they were imports from japan and such. Ive never really had amy problems with german made cars. Ive also fixed my fare share of american cars but none that were mine. Its just what ppl experience and how well cars were taken car of. I bought my mustang with 150k I put a small supercharger on it and never had an issue and it tore it down at 180k. Imo any car is good as long as its taken care of.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ford still owns stake in mazdan sorry if I said 300 series. Omgz. Sorry 3 series. My bad. Trust me I know what drive train components go into cars such as gm, ford, mazda, cadillac and such. I work at a company that makes parts for them.

Oh by the way it put it correctly its GMC. General Motor Company which ppl refer to that as the business part not tue vehicles. Also interxhanged with GM General Motors for short.

It's General Motors Coproration, the ticker symbol is GM. GMC is their light/medium duty truck division, which is why GMC is never used to refer to the company as a whole in the automotive industry, it's always GM for the company and GMC for the vehicle brand.

Ford owns 3% of Madza, which is barely even a voting share, certainly not a controlling share, and as I said, they no longer share any technology now that the Mazda3 platform is retiring next year for M.Y. 2015.

Clearly you do NOT know these things or we wouldn't have to keep correcting you. Please go update your information, you're not helping your credibility with these posts.

BTW, I work for an AC Delco supplier. We produce, among other things, a comprehensive aftermarket auto parts catalog. We actually DO know the components.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Ford owns 3% of Madza, which is barely even a voting share, certainly not a controlling share, and as I said, they no longer share any technology now that the Mazda3 platform is retiring next year for M.Y. 2015.

Clearly you do NOT know these things or we wouldn't have to keep correcting you. Please go update your information, you're not helping your credibility with these posts.

BTW, I work for an AC Delco supplier. We produce, among other things, a comprehensive aftermarket auto parts catalog. We actually DO know the components.

U just told me a few post ago that ford has nothing to do with mazda and now u just changed it saying they do and ur telling me to correct myself. When the only thing I corrected my self on was the bmw 3 series not 300. And yet I need to check my creditability. Ok.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The ford fusion and mazda 6 are related. The focus and mazda 3 are related.

Dear god I hope you washed your feet before you swallowed them today. The Ford Fusion and Mazda6 are not related at all anymore. The Focus and Mazda3 are no longer related, the current Mazda3 is based off the C1 platform (old Focus platform), and will be redesigned on a Mazda platform next year (modified CX-5 platform) using 100% SkyActiv engines and transmissions (definitely the 2.0L, many of us are hoping for the 2.5L). The Focus was redesigned to use the Global C platform rather than C1, and uses a Ford-designed 2.0L DI engine (descended from an old Mazda design that they kept when they sold off Mazda) with a 6 speed DCT transmission. The way Ford is going it will probably be replaced with an EcoBoost TDI engine of some sort down the road.

Ford and Mazda have nothing to do with each other and that 3% is less than a token stake. For all intents and purposes they no longer own Mazda and do not do any sort of technology sharing.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I love it how u think everything u know is correct. And what anyone else knows is not. Wow ur amazing. Do share more of ur knowledge. Its incredible. Id love to hear more. Just because u think u know something does not mean anything about what other ppl know.

Also mazdas skyactiv motor is not the only motor it uses. So before u go bashing what someone says, think about what ur saying.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the rental fodder trim that barely exists on the dealer's lots still uses the old MZR motor. Whoop de do. For all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

Know why I know everything I know is correct? I go look things up before I talk about them.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the rental fodder trim that barely exists on the dealer's lots still uses the old MZR motor. Whoop de do. For all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

Know why I know everything I know is correct? I go look things up before I talk about them.

There's no point in arguing with u. U couldnt provide correct information and u keep claiming ur correct. So then whats the point. Arguing with u I like talking to someone who doesnt speak the same language. Nobody gets anywhere.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Why is it even an argument? Nothing negative was even said to implement it. This thread is about personal preference. not about whether someone's information is correct or incorrect.

mrbootcrm

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the complete opposite experience. My dad had a ford f150 with 220, 000mi before the brakes needed to be changed and then nothing major broke or went wrong. It was a work truck too. I have always had to fix my friends cars and they were imports from japan and such. Ive never really had amy problems with german made cars. Ive also fixed my fare share of american cars but none that were mine. Its just what ppl experience and how well cars were taken car of. I bought my mustang with 150k I put a small supercharger on it and never had an issue and it tore it down at 180k. Imo any car is good as long as its taken care of.

I know it's mostly about maintenance. I'm talking purely statistics here, not personal experience. I had a Chevy blazer with 150k before I sold it. Ran pretty Ok. I also had a Chevy lumina two years newer that went through two motors before 120k. I'm just saying Japanese cars are more appealing to me with pretty great track records. But I do stand by American cars feeling cheap inside. And German cars being a bit overpriced all things said. Your mileage may vary. ;)

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I know it's mostly about maintenance. I'm talking purely statistics here, not personal experience. I had a Chevy blazer with 150k before I sold it. Ran pretty Ok. I also had a Chevy lumina two years newer that went through two motors before 120k. I'm just saying Japanese cars are more appealing to me with pretty great track records. But I do stand by American cars feeling cheap inside. And German cars being a bit overpriced all things said. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I agree with you. I was just giving my opinion on why I choose American made cars. Most any car is good as long as it's taken car of properly.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton