Japanese vs. American?

American or Japanese?

• Total voters

SC1

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
^Ya that's the impression I've been getting. I wish BMW would've stuck a V10 under there instead of the Twin Turbo V8, I don't know of any F10 owner who's kept his exhaust stock. And considering the E60's are around 40-50k now, I don't think it makes sense to spend 90-120k on the F10.. I mean the E60 with an Eisenmann exhaust sounds godly..

What color is your C63?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I do love the looks of some Americans, but I think the $ wins.
I know, I am not American - However GM and Ford established themselves of here trying to claim to Aussie. America's Chev's under the name Holden and ford as ford with a plant in NSW which is closing down even though our government poured truckloads of money to keep a float and an extra $40 million to keep its workers in work. Over here our city is spread as we have A LOT of land, I mean a lot. Which kills people on the bowser. I don't mind Euro's - dad bought an Audi during his mid life I believe he's got the q5. Mum has Japanse with a Mazada , My sister has a Suburu Imprezza which I am learning to drive in (brother had one too but he sold it for a nissan navara).

Japanese cars are just too cheap to run, to buy and for the actual features for the same price as what holden (chev) and ford are offering blows them out the water by far. The problem with European cars here is their taxed too heavily. Anything over 70,000 ish dollars gets a 30,0000 dollar luxury import tax on it. Then if you want to something left hand drive its another 25,000 to convert it to right which is the case for dodges.

Until an American company can produce a nice, quality built car cheaply I won't buy one.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I love me some American V8's, but cant stand American CARS(in terms of last 20-30 years). I dont know why the big 3 cant get the feel and quality of cars right, but they really need to start. I will give them this, the newest generation ford cars are looking better and chevy as well, but for both commuter cars and sports cars they need to reevaluate their methods and priorities. I can say this. I am an Engineer in the auto industry lol

I recently considered buying an FRS/BRZ, but wont by a first model year of any car and am waiting on the injector seal issues to be worked out for sure. Plus they might make one with more power in a couple of years.

I am hoping that ford fixes the issues(in my mind) with the mustang in the next generation. Its appalling to me that the current model is as heavy as it is and still has its prehistoric rear suspension set up. If they address these I might by the next gen if everything else is right. I need 4 seats and something I can mod and track, and the GTR is out of my price range lol.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the rental fodder trim that barely exists on the dealer's lots still uses the old MZR motor. Whoop de do. For all intents and purposes it doesn't exist.

Know why I know everything I know is correct? I go look things up before I talk about them.

You know the 2.5L in use in the current Mazda3 is still an MZR, right? The 2014 is supposed to lift the 2.5L SkyActiv from the new Mazda6, but at the moment all the S models still have MZRs. It most definitely does exist.

So I've always been a Japanese fan, and up until recently had an old Miata, a Mazda3, and a Toyota Yaris. When the Yaris was totaled in a hit-and-run we took a look at what was on the market with an open mind and ended up getting a Chevy Sonic for my wife. Compared to the last time we were car shopping in 2007 it just seemed like the Japanese makes hadn't done a lot. It was a toss up between the Sonic and a Mazda3 hatchback for my wife, but she decided she wanted something a little different than my Mazda3 sedan. We'd always said we'd consider an American car if they made one worth a damn, and Chevy seemed to have come a long way from the Aveo.

Although we like the car, every once and a while there are little gotchas that make us consider if we made the wrong choice. The rubber bushings on the rear hatch were missing, causing the hatch to rattle when we went on vacation and were going through gravel back roads for about a week. A stereo software upgrade to add compatibility with the promised nav system turned into a fiasco. Gas mileage isn't bad on the highway with the turbo model, but isn't anywhere near reported on a city cycle. In retrospect most of the issues weren't so much with the car itself but with the dealer and Chevy itself. I guess I just got use to having a certain relationship with both the Mazda and Toyota dealerships, and felt they were committed to solving any issues we had. They always seemed... apologetic if there was a problem. For some reason I always feel like I'm imposing on the Chevy dealer or on Chevy as a whole if I have a problem. It's your fault we couldn't update the software, you wanted the upgrade in the first place. You call Chevy Infotainment Support and get them to send us the info. It's your fault you didn't notice the bushing was missing, etc...

So anyway, we're happy with the car overall but I'd still have to vote Japanese.

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I would love to meet you at a light in my 03 cobra. It's not your basic intake, exhaust, pullied terminator. I got something for ya. ;)
http://img.tapatalk.com/6cdbb473-68c5-5b2d.jpg
Looks innocent enough right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Nissan GTR will cream you :D

Though personally I'd take the new Ford focus 1.6 over ANY Japanese car....including the GTR, that car like all performance cars are impractical and a huge burden to own...one scratch on a focus and you'd hardly notice but one scratch on supper car and...you go bonkers. And then we come to the matter of fuel consumption and running costs such as services and tyres and overnight you realize that you cant afford it, especially if you cant even afford to insurance for it.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Its appalling to me that the current model is as heavy as it is and still has its prehistoric rear suspension set up. If they address these I might by the next gen if everything else is right. I need 4 seats and something I can mod and track, and the GTR is out of my price range lol.

It's appalling to me that a Mustang GT with a prehistoric rear suspension set up can stay with a BMW M3 with IRS and costs much much more. Put a Boss302 in there and bye bye M3.

http://youtu.be/uOwSPccbzl4

You complain about the weight of the Mustang but would get a GTR if you had the cash?

Mustang GT = 3675lbs
GTR = 3800lbs

That GTR is a pig compared to the Mustang GT. The Shelby GT500 is only 50lbs more than the GTR.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's appalling to me that a Mustang GT with a prehistoric rear suspension set up can stay with a BMW M3 with IRS and costs much much more. Put a Boss302 in there and bye bye M3.

http://youtu.be/uOwSPccbzl4

You complain about the weight of the Mustang but would get a GTR if you had the cash?

Mustang GT = 3675lbs
GTR = 3800lbs

That GTR is a pig compared to the Mustang GT. The Shelby GT500 is only 50lbs more than the GTR.

The live axle in the current Mustang is a liability on anything other than the smoothest, driest race tracks. And even under the best conditions, it is a liability. Big power only gets you so far when you are talking about tracking and auto x.

And price to performance is always going to be in the domestic's favor of you are comparing to European. Euro cars have different priorities and are more expensive in general. The m3 is arguably less performance oriented than the Mustang.

And the gtr is a freak of nature. It is so much faster than its power to weight should allow. All the tech in the awd and suspension is ridiculous. It is the yard stick of the super car world and out classes any Mustang on a road course. Heavy or not.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It's the yardstick of the super car world? Your delusional! Did you forget Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc? You've lost all credibility with that statement.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I've had both Japanese and domestic cars throughout my life. I've had no major problems with either because I keep my cars immaculate. Service your cars like you're supposed to and they will last a long time besides the parts that need replacing due to normal wear and tear. Not too many Japanese cars with guts nowadays so if I were to choose between the two today? It would be American. They have come a long way with performance and fuel efficiency. A lot of bang for your buck.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
It's the yardstick of the super car world? Your delusional! Did you forget Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Pagani, Koenigsegg, etc? You've lost all credibility with that statement.

The fact that you do not understand the "yard stick" expression destroys your credibility. It has nothing to do with being the best...

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
The fact that you do not understand the "yard stick" expression destroys your credibility. It has nothing to do with being the best...

"yard?stick (ˈyɑrdˌstɪk)

n.
1. a stick a yard long, commonly marked with subdivisions, used for measuring.
2. any standard of measurement: Tests are not the only yardstick of academic achievement.
[1810?20, Amer.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, ? 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved."

Let's just assume you are using definition number 2.

What you are saying is the GTR is "the" standard of measurement in which all super cars are measured up against in "your" super car world.

If this is incorrect, by all means, please explain.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
"yard?stick (ˈyɑrdˌstɪk)

n.
1. a stick a yard long, commonly marked with subdivisions, used for measuring.
2. any standard of measurement: Tests are not the only yardstick of academic achievement.
[1810?20, Amer.]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, ? 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved."

Let's just assume you are using definition number 2.

What you are saying is the GTR is "the" standard of measurement in which all super cars are measured up against in "your" super car world.

If this is incorrect, by all means, please explain.

If you want to talk Bugatti and Zonda and McClaren, those are million dollar cars that if anything are in a league of their own.

I am referring to Ferrari, Lamborghini, Ford gt, corvette, Porsche, lfa, etc. The gtr to those cars is a yard stick. When the gtr came out, it was beating or matching all of those cars that, excluding the domestic, it severely out priced. So the it became the what everyone had to beat and beat significantly in order to maintain their super car heritage. It forced the super car world to up their game and it has maintained itself as a standard ever sense.

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I am disapointed in the development of american cars in the late 90's. Before that, american cars used to look like nothing else in the world. Now they look exactly like Japanese cars to me (not all of them though).

mrnapolean1

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I voted American, I Live in America so I am going to support the stuff we manufacture here. Plus I don't like the rotary motors that the Mazda and other Japanese cars have in them....

Angry_Mushroom

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
I voted American, I Live in America so I am going to support the stuff we manufacture here. Plus I don't like the rotary motors that the Mazda and other Japanese cars have in them....

Considering Mazda killed their rotary after the RX-8, there are currently no manufacturers building a rotary powered car. Only NSU (German) and Mazda have ever sold rotaries on mainstream products. I'd also like to point out that both Honda and Toyota have very strong presences in the United States. Both the Accord and Civic are built in the United States for example. That's ignoring the fact both Ford and GM have outsourced a lot of manufacturing to Mexico or Canada. If you want to support American manufactured, I'd suggest looking at assembly locations and parts sourcing. You might be surprised.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Considering many Japanese cars are made in America you shouldn't be against them. Acura and Honda, which I know a decent amount about, make cars here. Ford on some models sends their manufacturing to Mexico.

My 2008 Civic was mixed between Japan (Transmission), USA (Engine) and final assembly point (Canada).

My 2012 Acura TSX was 100% Japan which is fine. Its a Japanese car, who would moan?

I looked at the sticker to the new Acura MDX and it was in the USA. I forgot where but it was like Alabama or Arkansas I think.

Remember, just because the brand is domestic doesn't mean the car is made here.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The answer pretty much should be

Daily Driver: Japanese
Track Car: American

Mostly true. But I'd take an Italian car or even a few Japanese cars to the track instead. That Acura NSX and Nissan GT-R would be a blast to drive. But all of the above are so out of the majority of our price ranges lol.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I'd say I can't tell.

What's American, the Ford assembled in Mexico or the Honda assembled in Ohio?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar